Marc Curles

Guess which ref was working the TN at LSU game when Dooley’s team was flagged for too many players on the field because the officials did not hold the snap until the defense was given an opportunity to sub after the offense subbed. That guy.

One of the 2 games that TN won that year that were counted as losses.

I may be wrong on this but I thought the substitution rule was enacted (the next year) as a result of this specific play. As such there was no rule on that day. I’m probably not wrong in assuming they screwed up some other call that day, but I don’t think this play was one of them.

I may be wrong on this but I thought the substitution rule was enacted (the next year) as a result of this specific play. As such there was no rule on that day. I’m probably not wrong in assuming they screwed up some other call that day, but I don’t think this play was one of them.

The 10 second run off was enacted the next year after UNC beat TN in the bowl game without that rule in effect.

Dooley was arguing right after the LSU game was final that the refs were supposed to hold up the snap to allow defensive substitutions to be made. I think that the rule was in place but not understood. That was the first time that I ever became aware of it.

The 10 second run off was enacted the next year after UNC beat TN in the bowl game without that rule in effect.

Dooley was arguing right after the LSU game was final that the refs were supposed to hold up the snap to allow defensive substitutions to be made. I think that the rule was in place but not understood. That was the first time that I ever became aware of it.

You are correct about the 10 second run off rule.

As for the substitution rule, the info I’ve found online (Google) seems a little confusing. Supposedly the rule was altered in 2014 to allow the defense to make substitutions (when the offense had subbed) in the first 10 seconds of the play clock. As such, if the offense snapped the ball before the play clock reached 29 seconds (for a 40-sec play clock; 14 sec for a 25-sec clock), the offense would incur a 5-yard delay of game penalty. This rule would not be in effect in the final two minutes of each half. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen this rule being enforced as written. They may have dropped it before it ever really went into effect.

As for the refs holding the snap until the defense is allowed to sub, that rule may have been in effect at the time of that LSU game, but like you I don’t recall it being enforced at any time prior to the next season (and maybe even a couple of years later). The only thing I found about the old rule was that, in the discussion on the 2014 change, there had been no guarantees under the old rules that the defense would be allowed the time to make their subs when the offense had subbed. The refs holding the snap may have been their way of enforcing the 2014 rule, without enforcing the “10-second” part of the rule.

How many egregious mistakes and suspensions does this guy and his crew get before something is done?

This is the same guy who in 2009 called a phantom personal foul on Arkansas and cost them the FL game that year. His crew made egregious calls in back to back games that year and was suspended for a few weeks.

He lives, you guessed it, in Birmingham. How much more do we have to put up with out of this clown. His crew is easily the worst in all of college football.

This is the same crew that earlier this year signaled a play dead but allowed Memphis to return the punt and allowed it to stand, being the difference in the MSU/Memphis game.

So, this is 2 games that we know of this year that his crew has actually been the difference in the game by officiating Screw Ups. In 2017 his crew was suspended again for a month after Screwing up the KY/Mizzou game.

HOW MANY CHANCES DOES THIS LOSER GET BEFORE THE SEC LETS HIS SORRY A$$ GO?

This is atrocious. It's time we did something besides throw an empty bottle.

Contact the SEC office

Southeastern Conference

2201 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. North

Birmingham, AL 35203

(205) 458-3000

feedback@sec.org

This video is the best analysis of the Saturday events, the problems and the possible solutions. From a man on the field:

This video is the best analysis of the Saturday events, the problems and the possible solutions. From a man on the field:

I was at the game. I have no idea how the SEC network mouthpieces portrait the "why" of what happened, but this is a very accurate view of exactly what my takeaway was. And yes, this crew and the flop need to be addressed. Flop can't happen until after the season (rule change). Replacing this crew can happen right away.. (or at least give them one more shot... the Iron Bowl)

Aren’t these guys graded by the league? They seem terrible and you’d think the school Presidents would apply pressure to ensure only the best keep the jobs year after year.
I have said for years that publishing those currently confidential grading reports would solve the problem quicker than any other single step. The ones who can’t cut it would soon retire

The reason for the lengthy suspension in 2009 after the Arky-UF was to investigate gambling ties......

Granted, there was a lot of scrutiny of refs during that timeframe due to Tim Donaghy scandal.

Can that investigation be FOIA requested? I'd like to see the evidence reviewed that the SEC chose not to act upon. And who reviewed and signed off on it.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I have said for years that publishing those currently confidential grading reports would solve the problem quicker than any other single step. The ones who can’t cut it would soon retire

I'm with you. At least the league needs to post a bulletin of "top questionable calls" WITH an explanation and resolution of sorts. At least a "we screwed up" would be nice. But they are not. All big business and govt power HATE transparency.

It's downright shameful that a guy with Curles' track record could still be a ref at this level. Inexcusable. A billion dollar product like SEC football deserves the best.

That said, when you are a full time financial advisor for a major SEC sponsor in Birmingham, you have access to the SEC that most don't have.

In the least, the SEC should acknowledge that today's game is faster paced and more athletic than it used to be, and stop letting 60+ year olds be in a position that requires running down the sidelines chasing elite athletes.

Can that investigation be FOIA requested? I'd like to see the evidence reviewed that the SEC chose not to act upon. And who reviewed and signed off on it.

Unless the SEC shared the information with another public institution, then no. Even if they did, likely would out of any Record Retention policies.

This guy should be nowhere near a SEC field. Just a decade+ of blown calls, suspensions, reprimands. I don't think he's corrupt. He's just incompetent.

Perhaps the best protest would be to flood the SEC offices with applications to become an SEC Football official. Give them a few hundred thousands applications and resumes to sift through

Perhaps the best protest would be to flood the SEC offices with applications to become an SEC Football official. Give them a few hundred thousands applications and resumes to sift through

I'll send picture of me wearing Bama gear sitting next to a seeing-eye dog. I'll probably get the gig.

Mr. Curles is around my age and is a graduate of Georgia Tech, so since he and I grew up in the same era, we played Georgia Tech nearly every year, from 1972-1987, except for 1974, 1975 and 1978.. Tennessee had a record of 9-3-1 against Tech during that time period, so I would think it reasonable to assume that he definitely doesn't like the Vols, since Tennessee had the upper hand in the rivalry during our time growing up. I don't think any of these referee's should officiate our games if the schools they graduated from or are fans of personally, are considered to be main rivals of the Vols in the past or present, and GA Tech was certainly a rivalry game when I grew up.

Last edited:
Unless the SEC shared the information with another public institution, then no. Even if they did, likely would out of any Record Retention policies.

This guy should be nowhere near a SEC field. Just a decade+ of blown calls, suspensions, reprimands. I don't think he's corrupt. He's just incompetent.

He may be incompetent. But, since organized crime (mafia/mob/lacosa nostra(sp?) has had the lid blown off of it's secrecy since the 1980s, many mobsters have came forward with a myriad of gambling, game fixing, or pt shaving schemes. It's rampant. Once they get a person (official / player) compromised w gambling debt, adultery proof, etc etc, they can adjust the odds and make a lot of $$$. Once a ref gets trapped, they are easy to control for a long time. And they will not be let loose if they are a profit source.

According to a friend, UT had a basketball pt shaving case in the late 60s which suspended players. It was rooted in a player and gambling compromises. Of course, the university, NCAA, media, and other profiteers don't want that publicized much, so it all stays pretty quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Mr. Curles is around my age and is a graduate of Georgia Tech, so since he and I grew up in the same era, we played Georgia Tech nearly every year, from 1972-1987, except for 1974, 1975 and 1978.. Tennessee had a record of 9-3-1 against Tech during that time period, so I would think it reasonable to assume that he definitely doesn't like the Vols, since Tennessee had the upper hand in the rivalry during our time growing up. I don't think any of these referee's should officiate our games if the schools they graduated from or are fans of personally, are considered to be main rivals of the Vols in the past or present, and GA Tech was certainly a rivalry game when I grew up.

The 1956 game was voted by Sports Illustrated as the greatest college game ever played. We won 6/0. That was when the starting 11 played every down on both sides of the ball. I've seen the original footage of the game and it's fantastic. You can see the original footage at the State Library in the Johnny Majors Papers collection.

This is really pathetic actually. And they keep getting away with it.
Or...they’re just doing what they’re told.🤷‍♂️
In today’s world, do you not think that a corporation like the SEC doesn’t look at the bottom line? Tennessee is probably maxed out at 6-6 and going to a crummy bowl, 7-5 probably wouldn’t change that much(that’s assuming we are even allowed to play in a bowl) A top 10 Ole Miss team has a chance at getting to a more glamorous bowl, thus more money for the league.
That’s why I don’t think Georgia fans should be getting all cocky. They still will probably play bama in Atlanta and my guess is the SEC likes their chances at getting 2 one loss SEC teams into the playoff, better than 1 undefeated and 1 with 2 losses.
GBO!!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Or...they’re just doing what they’re told.🤷‍♂️
In today’s world, do you not think that a corporation like the SEC doesn’t look at the bottom line? Tennessee is probably maxed out at 6-6 and going to a crummy bowl, 7-5 probably wouldn’t change that much(that’s assuming we are even allowed to play in a bowl) A top 10 Ole Miss team has a chance at getting to a more glamorous bowl, thus more money for the league.
That’s why I don’t think Georgia fans should be getting all cocky. They still will probably play bama in Atlanta and my guess is the SEC likes their chances at getting 2 one loss SEC teams into the playoff, better than 1 undefeated and 1 with 2 losses.
GBO!!

Don't be at all surprised if Georgia gets hosed in the championship game just to make sure that very thing happens.

VN Store

Back