Man boobies-Why are so many coaches out of shape?

My thoughts exactly. I don't think the physical shape of the coach has any bearing on his ability to coach the game of football. However, we ARE dealing with young men and I do think some level of personal physical conditioning is part of setting the desired example for your team.
^ nailed it

There is a big difference between aging with a little extra weight and being obese. I am 64, 6' tall and 182 lbs which is my target weight. Being obese brings all sorts of medical problems. Yes, I met Kiffin when he was a coach at UT and he was very fit. It does look like the coaches I have mentioned are spending too much time at the buffet.

Reactions: Gnew6011vfl
Because they are rich and eat from restaurants every single meal

Yep. Restaurant Food is Not Healthy. Too much Sodium, Sugars, & Fats. Not to mention the Flavor enhancers and God knows what other Chemicals added. As a RULE, Restaurant food is the Cheapest they can buy, they are concerned with Profit; Period. Home Cooking is the way to Healthy eating. (Cut down on the SALT) Organic, organic, and More Organic Fruits & Veggies; Whole Grains, Fish & Poultry---- the way to health eating. You ARE who your gut says you are.

Reactions: Steve_Smith89
Too much work, too much stress, not enough exercise. If you're constantly working 60-70 hour weeks there isn't a lot of time for a workout and there isn't a lot of time for being discerning with your diet.

That's an excuse. If you Want to eat healthy, it's not that difficult. Everyone has access to a fridge, and organic veggies are easy to have delivered. RIBS & PIZZA Also. It's a choice.

That's an excuse. If you Want to eat healthy, it's not that difficult. Everyone has access to a fridge, and organic veggies are easy to have delivered. RIBS & PIZZA Also. It's a choice.
You could probably put together an exercise and eating schedule catered to each of the coaches yourself in the next few minutes if it's so easy.

Saban aint fat. Ryan Day? nope. Urban Meyer? Nope. Barnes? Coach K? Plenty of in shape coaches and it's no wonder they are so successful. This was a reason I was against Chaney. I knew him his first time here. He was big and sloppy, but nothing like his next time around. A guy that lacks that much control can't be doing things right.
Not a popular opinion but I agree. Being in good shape makes people better leaders because it subconsciously communicates discipline and self-control. I'm not in great shape, been "trying" to lose my belly fat for 15 years, but GENERALLY SPEAKING I have greater respect for people who are in shape than those who aren't.

Like most executives in high-salary, high-stress, high-visability positions, they don't take time for their body. Their jobs consume 80% of their life/mind/emotions; their wife and kids 19%+; hobby with friends <1%.

I'm not saying it is right, but it is a reality. I'm also not saying there are no exceptions - there are.

Yea I know there are 30-somethings that run corporations and are in shape. Wait until they hit their 40s.

Too much work, too much stress, not enough exercise. If you're constantly working 60-70 hour weeks there isn't a lot of time for a workout and there isn't a lot of time for being discerning with your diet.
Dan Mullen used to run around MSU campus bright and early to stay in shape... just have to make it a priority. Staying in shape is part of the job IMO because it gives you greater influence and makes you more effective at everything you do.

Are the percentages of fat coaches higher than the general population?

Football is a game played by large men. Chaney was a nose tackle. Fulmer was an OG. Andy Reid was an OT. We call them big uglies for a reason. What do you think is going to happen when our current linemen stop playing? Sure, some will keep in shape or even lose weight, but like many, plenty will struggle with their eating habits for the rest of their life. My boys play HS football. They were tall early, but I kept them away from the lineman path because I didn't want them being that big (and trust me, it would take nothing for my 6'3", 210-lb QB son to get up to lineman size). These guys are big and strong, and they can bench press a dump truck.. but they're also overweight. Some significantly.

If you’re a recruit, does it matter to you what the guy coaching you looks like physically?Say you’ve narrowed it down to 2 schools, both coaches have matching records/same credentials,one has a big ol set of man boobs... do the boobs sway you the opposite direction? GBO

If they have time to eat well and hit the gym for hours a day they are not recruiting hard enough.

It’s called Pride!

So many of our nation's problems would be solved if people did their due diligence in working out and eating a little better. There's a reason all of the fattest states also correlate to the poorest, unhappiest, and least educated.

Slow news day? I would hope my college aged kid would be more concerned about what is in a coaches mind than his physical attributes. Similarly, a shallow minded kid that focused on such attributes would be a little further down on my list of prospects given the choice between athletes.

I'm kinda late to this thread but I'm going to leave this here for you to ponder:

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2017-05-08-at-12.55.05-PM1.png
    Screen-Shot-2017-05-08-at-12.55.05-PM1.png
    734.9 KB · Views: 6

VN Store

Back