Man boobies-Why are so many coaches out of shape?

I believe his name is Mark Mangino.Coaches at.Kansas.A very large man whose team played and scored.well and whipped.many big eight/twelve teams.Size does.not mean slovenly in mind or soul.I think they called it "Mangino magic".

Reactions: kcvols1
If you’re a recruit, does it matter to you what the guy coaching you looks like physically?Say you’ve narrowed it down to 2 schools, both coaches have matching records/same credentials,one has a big ol set of man boobs... do the boobs sway you the opposite direction? GBO

Might have something to do with the 120 hour work week, bad eating habits, stress, lack of sleep etc. I wouldn’t consider being a college football coach an easy job to do. Why would a recruit care what his kind of shape his coach is in? I’d say S&C staff are the only ones that are expected to be fit for obvious reasons.

Saban aint fat. Ryan Day? nope. Urban Meyer? Nope. Barnes? Coach K? Plenty of in shape coaches and it's no wonder they are so successful. This was a reason I was against Chaney. I knew him his first time here. He was big and sloppy, but nothing like his next time around. A guy that lacks that much control can't be doing things right.

Nailed it.

Until you are working 12-14 hour days. I gain and lose weight depending on my job situation. Not everyone has an 8 hour a day job or normal work schedule.

I think people seriously undervalue the amount stress plays a part in weight. I’ve maintained the same diet and workout routine for my adult life. But for a brief couple of years, I had a very, very high stress job. I worked out during that time the same amount (if not more). I still gained about 10-15 pounds in non-muscle weight. After I left the job, I returned to my normal weight without changing my workout routine or diet.

Coaches : most of em crazy and irregular hours, fast food on the go, and most of their time and energy on film, recruiting, etc.....easy to get the Man Paps I’d say.

im sure it being jacked is not the end al be all, but I bet it is a positive for sure....

Side note: JUCO ball, I had a strength coach that was literally like 5’9” and 400 lbs........it was tremendously hard to take him seriously as he’s running us till we puke and he gets out of breath blowing his whistle......one thing If the HC or position coaches are portly....but the S&C coach?!?! Come on man.....

I think people seriously undervalue the amount stress plays a part in weight. I’ve maintained the same diet and workout routine for my adult life. But for a brief couple of years, I had a very, very high stress job. I worked out during that time the same amount (if not more). I still gained about 10-15 pounds in non-muscle weight. After I left the job, I returned to my normal weight without changing my workout routine or diet.

Exercise is a form of stress, so you perform the least amount possible to elicit the most beneficial change. If you're already at a 10 on the stress scale, you'd benefit most from very low intensity workouts. The body only knows response. It doesn't really care what the catalyst is..work, relationship, or even your workout. Being in tune enough to know what your body needs isn't the easiest thing in the world, but coaches share office space with some of the best minds in nutrition and fitness.

Our education system just blows in regards to mental and physical health. It's 2021 and we still have people that prioritize running over weight lifting, grains over meat, and processed veggie slop over whole foods. It's a joke.

There are endless examples of ceos and other type As that work 80 hour weeks and walk around with a 6 pack. It's not that hard to stay in respectable shape. It's physically impossible to gain weight eating less calories than you expend.

A lot of athletes have an issue after their playing career with not adjusting their 7 to 10 thousand calorie a day diet.

I know a former D1 wrestler that can attest to that. Died of liver failure, never stopped eating like an athlete.

If you’re a recruit, does it matter to you what the guy coaching you looks like physically?Say you’ve narrowed it down to 2 schools, both coaches have matching records/same credentials,one has a big ol set of man boobs... do the boobs sway you the opposite direction? GBO
I mean Saban is a midget, like a little football yoda, doesn’t seem to bother him.

“Coach I’d love to play for you but Saban’ tits are just fire...so...”

In my opinion no, but I can only speak for myself. Everyone has their struggles and weight is one of them. I wouldn’t want someone judging me for the way I look, so I try not to do it to others.

My spelling may not be correct, but gynocomastia is a birth defect. Actually only reversed by surgery on some. I personally know this. No amount of weights remove them. Surgery is not covered by insurance, it's a cosmetic surgery. So be ready to pay. Take it from someone who's checked it all out. I'm coming out of the closet with this anyway. Earlier, if the mother took a drug like ritalin during pregnancy, she could sue the drug mfg. Might pay for the surgery. For some, it's a DNA issue. Making fun of someone with this condition is a sore point to me. Some can't be held responsible for it. But, I'm still a Big Orange Fan!

With as bad as our teams conditioning was last year; the coaches need to be in both. In all seriousness, physical fitness should be important to a coach and mentor for young men. I don’t expect every coach to look like a body builder but I would not hire an out of shape, physically obese football coach.
I can't understand why this isn't just common sense to anyone hiring a football coach. How many BCS titles were won by obese coaches, or for that matter even played for by such? How many obese coaches have made it to the playoff?

In the NFL, Andy Reid is a great coach; but he also has Patrick Mahomes. Arians is overweight; Mike McCarthy is overweight, and we saw how great he was without Aaron Rodgers. Outside of those three, what obese coach has made it to the Super Bowl in the last twenty years? And all three of those had one of the greatest quarterbacks in history (Arians of course had the greatest).

Physical and mental fitness are directly correlated. I learned the hard way not to hire someone who's forty pounds overweight because if they're careless with their own body, they'll probably be careless with the work they do for me.

I work sixty to seventy hours a week and I'm as fit now as I was thirty years ago when I was in my twenties. I wouldn't be able to do the work I do if I didn't run and lift weights four days a week.

Last edited:
Because they get paid hundreds of thousands or millions to do a job for an institution who is constantly evaluating them and it consumes them. Have to have an outlet to release all that stress and food is more socially acceptable than substances. JMO.

VN Store

Back