Make It Official: Tennessee Went 8-5 This Season

Bottom line on this issue is to score a lot of points where overtime will not be an issue. Get the top two QB's and have them compete with each other for TD's.

7-6 with a bowl loss leaves us more room for improvement next year--and we will need it!
With regard to our needs, this year's portal does not appear to be positioned somewhere over the rainbow.

I'm going to enjoy the journey, but living for Year 4 of the Heupel Era.

At the end of the day, we played poor enough where a blown call impacted the game. Yes, it was a blown call but no, we did not play very well to that point. As a school (going back to the Anthony Jordan fiasco), we have historically layed and and took it when it comes to getting screwed over by officiating. That's why we got the L at the MCB.
I agree.
However there were a plethora of bad calls that game.

One of the worst officiated games I've seen.

And I'm not emotionally impacted by it like a lot of the other fans. But call a spade a spade.

My stance is we were a 9-4 team with bad breaks and self inflicted damages.
So we're 7-6 with a bright future.

This thread helps me to understand just how insignificant the results of college football games and championships really are.

Kentucky didn’t lose to Tennessee. We as fans said if that face mask were called we would of won so we changed the record books and consider it a win. Tennessee thought they won but we really did because we changed it to what might have happened

Oh that's good, that's real good. Now all you need is 56 more excuses to tie up the Tennessee-Kentucky series record.

A missed facemask call that didn't stop a team's offensive drive is a hell of a lot different than waving off a guy who extends the ball across the plane of the goal line before going down and you know it.

Reactions: Kentucky wildcat
Guys, the refs made garbage calls and no calls all game, the majority against UT. That is the problem with this game, the teams didn’t have the opportunity to let their play decide the game, the referees did. I don’t agree with calling it a win but I do agree with attempting to hold these POS refs accountable. IMHO, UT should file an official protest against this crew and personally against at least two of the officials. The players and staff, not to mention the fans deserve the UT administration to stand up and support them, even if the protest is unsuccessful.

Reactions: MontyPython
It's something to talk about. It's not gonna happen so no harm.

We had a better season than most thought we would, beat who we should have and we went to a bowl. 21 season is over and I'm looking forward to 22.
Yea I’m hoping for a better season for both next year. Like to watch two good teams play instead of one. Both sides have bright futures

Kentucky didn’t lose to Tennessee. We as fans said if that face mask were called we would of won so we changed the record books and consider it a win. Tennessee thought they won but we really did because we changed it to what might have happened
Except that missed call didn’t effect the outcome. Or did you forget you converted after that. It was a terrible non call but Kentucky still got a first down.

Honestly this year was much better than I expected. We lost to the two teams in the national title game. Lost to a bad Florida team but it’s Florida. Pitt is a good team and that could go either way. Ole Miss and Purdue should’ve been wins though.

Next season is all about whether Heupel can get Florida. It’s not a make or break but he needs that win to move fans off the fence and on to his side. Really needs to roll off a couple wins over Florida and he’s probably locked in for a while as HC. Bama and Georgia will take several years to catch up with in talent.

Except that missed call didn’t effect the outcome. Or did you forget you converted after that. It was a terrible non call but Kentucky still got a first down.
Yea we converted a long down and took more time off of the clock when it should of been a first down and no time taken off the clock for a extra play. Whole point is what if. What if Tennessee had not got a bad call. What if they scored and missed the extra pint what if the other team went and scored after y’all got the TD. It would be different if the other team wasn’t gonna be able to have a chance after y’all scored but it’s not like that TD ended the game. Y’all still had to put your defense on the field. A bunch of what ifs. But y’all beat Kentucky so that is something to be happy about

Agree with Finebaum on this one. The officials absolutely stole the MCB from our team.

A couple years back, CJH declared UCF the National Champs when they went undefeated, so I say this to our Athletic Department: Declare the MCB a WIN. Update all of UT's records, press releases, etc. and mark it W.

And, oh by the way, the NCAA eventually AGREED with CJH and UCF and that team is in the official record books as 2017 National Champions, so there's precedent.

Per Finebaum:

“I refuse to accept that Tennessee lost the game,” he said. “In my opinion, Tennessee won the game. And I’ve never said this before, because I don’t like to criticize officials, but I’m going to. The officials stole that game from Tennessee. It was a total farce, an absolute, total farce. My recommendation to Josh Heupel is this — I don’t care what the NCAA rulebook says, I don’t care, that should be counted as a win. Tennessee should officially be 8-5. That’s how this show will recognize it.”
NCAA officials=2, UT football=0

We got hosed but I think giving us an automatic win is a bit extreme. You never know how that game would’ve played out. The only way to make it right at this point is for the officials to receive consequences to curb BS calls in the future.

Yea we converted a long down and took more time off of the clock when it should of been a first down and no time taken off the clock for a extra play. Whole point is what if. What if Tennessee had not got a bad call. What if they scored and missed the extra pint what if the other team went and scored after y’all got the TD. It would be different if the other team wasn’t gonna be able to have a chance after y’all scored but it’s not like that TD ended the game. Y’all still had to put your defense on the field. A bunch of what ifs. But y’all beat Kentucky so that is something to be happy about

Fair enough, entirely possible Purdue scores there. Highly unlikely if we’re talking probabilities that Tennessee loses in that particular overtime if the TD counts. Probability favored Tennessee winning if the correct call was made.

Considering that Tillman was held within a few yards of the LOS, it still would have been a long 40+ yard FG. Not a gimme at all for our kicker, especially on a wet, sloppy field.

Yep. The only way I could’ve seen this playing out to be game deciding missed call (Tillman hold) would be if you get the call and then everything else goes the same. Hendons 8 hard scramble at the end would’ve made it about a 35 yard field goal. More doable for sure. In any case, we should’ve handled that last drive better. You only need a field goal to win, not a touchdown.

Reactions: Doberman
That’s not sticking up for Tennessee that’s a dig at Tennessee

Tennessee had plenty of opportunities to win and didn’t execute when it mattered most.

Stop looking for an excuse when the same reasons that plagued Tennessee all year showed up yet again.

Reactions: Rocky Top Raby
Oh my ****ing god enough of this. None of the games with questionable calls were guaranteed wins. If you want to be mad at someone about not winning the bowl game then look no further than CJH.

Plus, was Heupel even the guy at UCF when they went undefeated? No he wasn't.

Some schtick is slightly more nuanced than other schticks, but in general, you are correct, sir.

So you don’t like having a coach who has faith in his QB with a game on the line?

You really are miserable.

I guess I need to go back and watch the game again. Everyone seems to feel we were robbed. I honestly felt we were totally outplayed by a better team on that day. Purdue’s passing game looked like what I’d hoped to see from TN. Purdue had a couple of RBs who were tearing it up and tough to bring down. Their tight ends appeared to have butter on them (couldn’t resist). At times I ( and others) were even having thoughts of Milton stepping in it was so bad OH MY!

I don’t know how TN managed to put as many points on the board as we did. Looked ugly doing it.

I love TN. My blood isn’t royal like some of y’all. I’m just adopted. It still kills me to see TN play as we did at MCB. The call on that touchdown was wrong. Not sure why there hasn’t been more discussion on Fant pulling and dragging (which I understand is a penalty).

For me it’s over. I do look forward to getting more talent, getting them coached up with the best staff in football, and playing for a championship in 2022.

Agree with Finebaum on this one. The officials absolutely stole the MCB from our team.

A couple years back, CJH declared UCF the National Champs when they went undefeated, so I say this to our Athletic Department: Declare the MCB a WIN. Update all of UT's records, press releases, etc. and mark it W.

And, oh by the way, the NCAA eventually AGREED with CJH and UCF and that team is in the official record books as 2017 National Champions, so there's precedent.

Heupel had nothing to do with 2017 UCF team. Scott Frost was the coach that season. Danny White, however, was all over the NC talk and hanging a banner.

Who says we would have stopped Purdue in overtime had the officials not blown the call? Purdue played it close to the vest in overtime because they knew they only needed 3 to win and they had a very good kicker.

This. We got robbed fo sho. But, this play was not the last of the game. This idea kinda reeks of doing replay and reversing a call after 4 more plays have been ran. It's an bad characteristic growing in our culture where we refuse to accept defeat (or victories) graciously. It's over. We had near;y 100 defensive plays to keep them from hanging 48 on us, and we didn't seize enough. Can't base it all on a single bad call just bc it was a wing play and our last offensive one of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Heupel had nothing to do with 2017 UCF team. Scott Frost was the coach that season. Danny White, however, was all over the NC talk and hanging a banner.

UCF won it fair and square. Undefeated and indisputed. I never EVER pass up an opportunity to congratulate the Gumps for their impressive runner up campaign. ;)
UCF-National-Championship-Plate.png

Last edited:

VN Store

Back