Make It Official: Tennessee Went 8-5 This Season

Or, "Hey Huep, relax the foot off the gas a tad. We need 10-15 yards to kick a manageable 40-ish yard FG for the win, and plenty of time to do so, especially IF you actually use your timeouts."

He played to win.

If you wanted conservative play calling, we should have just stuck with Butch.

Because we actually won in regulation when the Purdue DB blatantly held Tillman‘s jersey on what would have been the game winning TD. Even fibber doesn’t make the catch, the 15?yard penalty puts us in FG range. Game would have never went to OT

Any PI less than 15 yards is a spot foul in college, correct? That DB had Tillman's jersey less than 5 yards into the route (and held it for the next 5-8 yards).

We had our chances, we got screwed over but we lost. Move on to 2022.

The game is over...we got screwed, but it's done. I am just looking forward to next year now. We have a good nucleus of talent returning, if our D can improve, we can see a 9-10 win season.

I know the ruling on the game, but did anyone see any followup reports that established when the first whistle blew on that play? Before or after the ball crossed to goal line? I know what I heard, but thought it might have been discussed in more detail.

Paul is absolutely right on this and a lot of things.

Dismissing Finebaum out of hand is somewhat a cottage industry.

Everyone knows the game will forever be an official loss but in regards to how TN fans should feel about it, we scored 51 legal points in this game and Purdue scored 48. We should consider it a win and the team should consider the disrespect inflicted on them, not once, but twice by ACC crews as motivation for next year. The ACC crew missed a spot in the Pitt game that turned the game around. That official on the right couldn't get that play stopped fast enough. I have to wonder if he's a gambler. There's little way of knowing these days with how easy it is to gamble online.

The call was one of the worst ever made.

We don't need a campaign to create more negative media towards Tennessee. God knows ESPN is just waiting for the next opportunity to make fun of us. They alone cost Peyton the Heisman and they hated us for the way Pat exposed them for their illegal recruting activity for Conneticut's women's basketball.

Just use it for your own, private fuel, knowing that we won that game and hopefully the team takes this as them against the world in 2022.

If we can improve the defense we will score enough points next year to eliminate close games.

People need to accept that Paul is a Tennessee alum, he's a fan and he's also a professional who does a darned good job of separating his Tennessee fanship from his job as an analyst of college football. In this case, it was just a little too much for him and his fandom won out. Paul loves the university and he loves Tennessee. Just because he made his name taking calls from Auburn and Alabama fans and letting them piss on each other's legs does not mean he is any less Tennessee. Take it from someone who knows or you can continue to make knee jerk reactions and cherry pick the things he says.

Exactly, this is the problem with calling it a “win”, people seem to think this would have been the last play of the game. Even if the refs hadn’t blown the call, Purdue still had the opportunity to tie us and force 2OT.

There were umpteen different amazingly horrible calls - almost every one of which went against us. I'm still hoarse from yelling "WHO IS PAYING THESE F-ERS OFF?!?!?".

Also, while I have yet to charge the field and rip the goal post down after a win, this was the time I was ready to charge the field and rip the head off the refs. And, yes, I'm seeking counseling.

Reactions: Kentucky wildcat
Let's not stop at the Ole Miss game. Do not forget about the Pitt game and the bad calls. We are 10-3.

The difference here is it's (essentially) a meaningless bowl game. Whether we officially win/lose/draw this game has no bearing on anything - including our SEC record and/or those standings.

Reactions: Kentucky wildcat
Who says we would have stopped Purdue in overtime had the officials not blown the call? Purdue played it close to the vest in overtime because they knew they only needed 3 to win and they had a very good kicker.
I’ll say it if it makes you feel better. 😂

7-6, 9-4 or 13-0 ....one of the wins was Kentucky.
Kentucky didn’t lose to Tennessee. We as fans said if that face mask were called we would of won so we changed the record books and consider it a win. Tennessee thought they won but we really did because we changed it to what might have happened

Kentucky didn’t lose to Tennessee. We as fans said if that face mask were called we would of won so we changed the record books and consider it a win. Tennessee thought they won but we really did because we changed it to what might have happened
I'd bet you got more idiot fans doing that crap than we do.

Any PI less than 15 yards is a spot foul in college, correct? That DB had Tillman's jersey less than 5 yards into the route (and held it for the next 5-8 yards).

We had our chances, we got screwed over but we lost. Move on to 2022.
Yes but the call probably should’ve been defensive holding, not PI, which I believe is an automatic 15

Exactly, this is the problem with calling it a “win”, people seem to think this would have been the last play of the game. Even if the refs hadn’t blown the call, Purdue still had the opportunity to tie us and force 2OT.
Better than being robbed

I know the ruling on the game, but did anyone see any followup reports that established when the first whistle blew on that play? Before or after the ball crossed to goal line? I know what I heard, but thought it might have been discussed in more detail.
It’s annoying like the Ole Miss game. No whistle blew until after the ball was in the end zone. There is no way on such a pivotal play on a 4th down in OT do you make that call. They could also easily reverse it to say forward progress wasn’t stopped. They did not though for reasons I will never understand.

Really tho it’s kind of a crazy take. And I think tennesse was robbed a touchdown but idk about robbed of a W.
It's something to talk about. It's not gonna happen so no harm.

We had a better season than most thought we would, beat who we should have and we went to a bowl. 21 season is over and I'm looking forward to 22.

Caller called Finebaum yesterday and said UT fan need to quit crying.....If UT had kicked the FG in OT they probably win the game and not crying still....Finebaum's reply to caller....You are right.

I heard it so Finebaum is talking out of both sides of his azz.

Agree with Finebaum on this one. The officials absolutely stole the MCB from our team.

A couple years back, CJH declared UCF the National Champs when they went undefeated, so I say this to our Athletic Department: Declare the MCB a WIN. Update all of UT's records, press releases, etc. and mark it W.

And, oh by the way, the NCAA eventually AGREED with CJH and UCF and that team is in the official record books as 2017 National Champions, so there's precedent.

Per Finebaum:

“I refuse to accept that Tennessee lost the game,” he said. “In my opinion, Tennessee won the game. And I’ve never said this before, because I don’t like to criticize officials, but I’m going to. The officials stole that game from Tennessee. It was a total farce, an absolute, total farce. My recommendation to Josh Heupel is this — I don’t care what the NCAA rulebook says, I don’t care, that should be counted as a win. Tennessee should officially be 8-5. That’s how this show will recognize it.”

Finebaum actually said this? OK.... I gotta ask: Which one of us were behind him with a gun to his head? That is the only thing that makes sense.

On second thought, don't answer that. I don't need to know everything.

VN Store

Back