LV Turnovers

Just because she had some success at MoState doesn't mean she will have success at P5 teams like Tenn.
First of all we can’t decide based upon KJH’s first year she will be a failure. Just because she had success at MoState does not mean she will be a failure coaching the Lady Vols. Give her a chance.

I saw a lot of

KJH’s coaching style at MoState was nothing like Holly’s. She played a guard oriented offense. If you stopped them on the 3, they would dribble drive and kick it out if the shot was not there. Those girls gang rebound and they were physical and they played with heart. Before KJH arrived at MoState the team was a mess. It took her two years to make MoState competitive. Those kids were no stars but KJH made them play like winners. Those women had three times the heart over the Lady Vols. They would not backdown for anyone. On defense they were like ants at high school picnic. That is how they beat two D1 teams and gave Stanford a run for their money. You can’t decide based upon what you see early in KJH tenure she will be another Holly. You have to give KJH’s staff a chance to recruit their own players who fit their system. Her fresh leg theory will not work with this team, they don’t have the heart or the physicality. With her MoState team there was very little difference from the players she ran in and out. They also shot the three well. Another thing, I can’t think of the young lady’s name but she was a good leader, that is something this team really does not have. Give her a chance before you are ready to kick her to the curve.
Teacherdean, please reread your post. You are throwing the players under the bus. The same comments could be made concerning the head coach that replaced Kellie at Missouri State. That is, "wait till she gets her own players". The new coach, Amaka Agugua-Hamilton, is 21-3, soon to be 22-3, coaching Kellie's recruits. Wes Moore was 25-8 his first year at NC State, also with Kellie's recruits. The first year coach at Princeton, Carla Berube, is 20-1 with Courtney Banghart's recruits. Good coaching brings out the best in players, whether they are personal recruits or not. This is not intended to be a knock on Kellie, but illustrating my point.

Last edited:
- Flailing her hands in an attempt to, I assume, tell the team what defense they were to be in - Rae and Key held out their hands as if they were confused because John was holding up a sign that apparently contradicted what Kellie was asking them to do.

- Jordan made a turnover and looked towards the bench at a frustrated Kellie - when Jordan came out at the next dead ball, there was no teaching moment. You’re frustrated, explain to her why, in that very moment.

- When we got it down to, I think 4 points in the 3rd quarter and Arkansas made a run to stretch the lead back to 10 - we called a FULL timeout and Kellie talked to her assistants almost the whole time out and talked to the girls maybe 45 seconds.

- Didn’t seem motivation or energetic, IMO, when the girls went on runs to get back in the game, GET EXCITED for them, pump them up, encourage them to stay after it. I didn’t see any of that. As the game was “general admission” and you literally got to sit anywhere you wanted, I was able to sit pretty close. Granted I couldn’t hear EVERYTHING but I didn’t notice a lot of energy from her.

- John seems to be doing a majority of the coaching.

It just seemed off for ME! Maybe it’s because they are in the midst of this losing streak, but the whole team and staff just lacked any type of energy or passion after the first quarter.
Again, you thought Holly was a good coach. This is 100x more than Holly ever did, unless Kellie also was hanging her head dejectedly.

Have a seat now, thank you.

Teacherdean, please reread your post. You are throwing the players under the bus. The same comments could be made concerning the head coach that replaced Kellie at Missouri State. That is, "wait till she gets her own players". The new coach, Amaka Agugua-Hamilton, is 21-3, soon to be 22-3, coaching Kellie's recruits. Wes Moore was 25-8 his first year at NC State, also with Kellie's recruits. The first year coach at Princeton, Carla Berube, is 20-1 with Courtney Banghart's recruits. Good coaching brings out the best in players, whether they are personal recruits or not. This is not intended to be a knock on Kellie, but illustrating my point.
I disagree I am not throwing the players under the bus. They are not physical and sometimes do not really play with heart. A lot of that is the culture they came in, which is not their fault. A lot of that is adjusting to a new system. Yes the coach at MoState got KJH players and they were already part of a winning culture. The present coach at MoState is continuing the culture. I believe KJH took NCSTATE to two NCAA tournaments. NCState was on a down trend when she arrived at NCSTATE. As to what happened neither you or I really know what happened. Being a former coach I have taken teams with both someone else’s players and won and also lost with someone else’s players. You really can’t measure a coach’s potential success based upon their failure at one school as compared to their success at another. Your philosophy from one school or another may differ from what the new players have previously been taught. Sometimes it is their basketball IQ as well as other things. It may take two or three years to get players to completely change to what your teaching. Sometimes that may take new blood to come in that can play your type of ball. KJH’s style is not working at Tennessee as it worked at MoState, because we simply do not have the type of bench you can run in and out. The problem is you have to rest your starters from time to time. When that happens we lose offense and our edge. KJH has changed the system she originally started with this season, even going with a guard oriented lineup against Arkansas that seemed to work somewhat. This is a work in progress so none of us can assume if KJH will or will not be successful at Tennessee, based on what we presently see.

You're comparing coaches taking over successful programs and continuing that success to coaches taking over programs that were stagnating or declining. The point about Wes Moore improving using Kellie's rectuits has merit (although it contradicts the idea that Kellie can't recruit).

Speaking of Princeton, former coach Banghart's (whom some here thought might be a good choice to replace Holly) first season at North Carolina is similar to Kellie's. They're currently 16-10 and in 9th place in ACC at 7-8. They were 18-18 last season under Sylvia Hatchell. It takes time to change culture.

Last edited:
She had the opportunity and failed at a P5 school.....check NCSU where she was fired...!!!
So in your career do you feel like you were better with say 12 years of experience than you were with six years of experience? How about 20 years of experience? Is it possible Kellie is a better coach now than she was when she was at NC State?
Kellie is still a relatively young coach. I think she will continue to learn and develop. We all remember Pat at the height of her coaching prowess. I think she would have said she grew and got better over time. Patience grasshoppers.

So in your career do you feel like you were better with say 12 years of experience than you were with six years of experience? How about 20 years of experience? Is it possible Kellie is a better coach now than she was when she was at NC State?
Kellie is still a relatively young coach. I think she will continue to learn and develop. We all remember Pat at the height of her coaching prowess. I think she would have said she grew and got better over time. Patience grasshoppers.
excellent post, Lucy

Outstanding post, you can’t keeping going down the same old road until you have proof that the sky is falling Chicken Little.

Time will tell. I will save this post and hope you are right!!!

Do you think that the men's and women's bbk teams get together and practice on how to have as many to's in a game that they can. lol

I'm sure they do and why not?
I really want to give the Lady Vols my respect and appreciate what they do on the court. that said, it really is hard to watch the same lazy passes in the passing lanes game after game. I have watch the opponents guards blow by our guards and continue to the basket with very little opposition. i know its cooler to block a shot than to just stand there a take a charge. In my opinion, its time to have a going to meet Jesus meeting. Ill admit we have very beautiful young ladies, but beauty doesn't win any game alone.

Lady Vols had 24 turnovers in the game. This is the second game with 24 turnovers and 2 others in the season with 27. There is no improvement either. Incidentally, the men of Coach Barnes had only 9 turnovers which is back to less than 10 turnovers per game as he desires. The LV must have some stupidity too...with seconds left in the game you do not foul on a 3 point shot and with 3.6 seconds left and a two point lead you absolutely do not foul period. Thank goodness for the UT baseball team as we have one team that is preforming better than anticipated.

Reactions: olddog

VN Store

Back