LV Turnovers

Why do people conveniently forget that this team was setup to have Westbrook, Collins and Green on the floor with the players we are trying to win with now as relief off the bench. That's experience and a lot of firepower to make up for that was lost. You don't just snap your finger and it magically happens.
This is the most sensible thing I have read on this board for a long time.

The Lady Vols continue with lack of ball security and turnovers. With 7 minutes to play in the 4th quarter, the LV have 22 turnovers, 16 in the first half. Even former Georgia Coach Andy Landers continues to talk about the LV turnovers. Apparently this is of no concern to Coach Harper as nothing seems to improve. It is her job to do some corrections and it is not happening. I have lost track of how many games the LV have had over 20 turnovers...remember there were 2 games with 27. I am so disgusted with the turnover situation that I am done watching the LV play anymore games. This will be the 5th straight loss. If Coach Harper would only install the Coach Rick Barnes method on turnovers, we could see some improvement immediately. If a player of Barnes has a turnover, he is immediately pulled from practice and made to run from the floor to the top of the arena and back...do that 4 or 5 times in practice and turnovers stop. Barnes is even having more turnovers this year compared to last year. Coach Landers has commented on these turnovers virtually every game. It is so bad that the Chattanooga Times even has a article that concentrates on them.
The Lady Vols continue with lack of ball security and turnovers. With 7 minutes to play in the 4th quarter, the LV have 22 turnovers, 16 in the first half. Even former Georgia Coach Andy Landers continues to talk about the LV turnovers. Apparently this is of no concern to Coach Harper as nothing seems to improve. It is her job to do some corrections and it is not happening. I have lost track of how many games the LV have had over 20 turnovers...remember there were 2 games with 27. I am so disgusted with the turnover situation that I am done watching the LV play anymore games. This will be the 5th straight loss. If Coach Harper would only install the Coach Rick Barnes method on turnovers, we could see some improvement immediately. If a player of Barnes has a turnover, he is immediately pulled from practice and made to run from the floor to the top of the arena and back...do that 4 or 5 times in practice and turnovers stop. Barnes is even having more turnovers this year compared to last year. Coach Landers has commented on these turnovers virtually every game. It is so bad that the Chattanooga Times even has a article that concentrates on them.
Pathetic and pitiful only way to describe our play. First we can't play man defense without fouling and I wonder "why not zone?" Our zone can't be worse than our man defense. second--Davis is arguably our best player but we don't use her enough in our offense scheme. I'm not really blaming the coach because the girls should have enough basketball 101 aand pride to do some on their own

Coach Harper has had 15 or 16 recruiting classes over the course of her career. How may top recruits has she landed in all that time? How many of her recruits has she developed to become first team WCBB All-Americans? How many of her recruits has she developed to be fist round WNBA draft picks? What is different now? What is the draw for a top recruit? Is it the school or is it Coach Harper herself?
3pvxwa.jpg

Reactions: LadyVol1908
At times it's like the other team is invisible to our players when we pass the ball. I've never seen anything like it to the extent we have.

Reactions: creekdipper
For what you pay, is what you get. KJH a fired NCSU coach. If history repeats, you just saw her best year as coach for the LadyVols.
I think her gong to a smaller lineup resulted Tennessee being able to keep up with the pace of the game. They cut the deficit down to to 3-4 points and played much better defense. It slso showed that our bigs nedd to get in better physical condition and pla aggressively on both offense and defense. Being tall can be an asset but our bigs do not jump, or block out very well. S&C during the off season must be stressed or we will not compete very well against the best teams. It doesn't mean very much to try to get the ball inside when you hit fewer that 50% of your layups.

I posted this in the other forum, worth a read (at least I think so ;))

Ok, I was very critical of the Harper hire, but had a lot of optimism that she could turn it around. I do see a better chemistry on this team from an interpersonal perspective, but not much improvement on the court. The fact that this team has two players who were top 5 recruits (Rennia and Jordan) and several others who were top 25 in their respective class (Kasi, Rae, Jazmin) tells me that there is a serious coaching deficiency. To have 23 turnovers this late in the season is completely unacceptable. Post play on offense is virtually non-existent, and lack of fundamentals like boxing out, screen and roll, and hard cuts to the basket continue to be embarrassing. You cannot blame players for doing their best in a new system, but the level of raw talent that is on this team is something that can be harnessed to what should be an SEC 2nd or 3rd place level. I like coach Harper as a person and am very thankful for what she was able to help the program accomplish as a player. But you have to wonder what a Jeff Walz, Vic Schafer, Kim Mulkey, or even Coach Neighbors could get out of this team. If you watched the game last night, contrast the energy and enthusiasm of the Arkansas staff vs ours. Not even close. We all wanted the fire and drive of Pat Summit in our new coach, I just don't see it consistently. I don't care if we went 10-19 on the season, if a player continues to make simple mistakes such as telegraphing passes, not boxing out, or taking possessions off, Pat would have sat their butts on the bench to teach them the priviledge of playing in a Lady Vols uniform. More accountability needs to happen. This losing streak looks a lot like Holly's last year from a pure coaching perspective. I don't think the team gave up or simply dialed it in. I think they are longing for the discipline needed to help elevate their game.
I am willing to give coach Harper a chance - one season doesn't mean she doesn't have 'IT', but at the same time, allowing players to continue to under perform with little accountability does not bring confidence to this Lady Vols fan of 35+ years. CKH needs to stop worrying about the fragility of the team's mentality and stomp on a few egg shells instead of trying to walk on them. Again, the amount of talent on this team is really top 10 if you look at individual recruiting rankings. It's time to step up, hold these players accountable and instill that Pat Summit mentality of either produce on the court, or sit on the bench!

I actually worry even more about that because I have seen nothing that shows that she can recruit at a high level. Maybe she is recruiting players that fit her system, but I have not been impressed. I guess time will tell

Sharrona Reaves brought in two top classes in recruiting and has a reputation of being one of the best recruiters in Women's basketball, but apparently was not included in consideration for the staff of Harper. No person of the previous staff was retained which was probably best, yet it is difficult to consider why Reaves was not retained.

Someone mentioned NC State being back in the Top 10. They just barely missed losing tbeir third straight by coming from 7 down in the 4th quarter to edge Miami by two.

Miami is 13-13. A loss to them woukd have been to two unranked teams in a row.

And Moore is working with his own recruits familiar with his system. Just saying that slumps can happen to anyone at this point in the season.

I think her gong to a smaller lineup resulted Tennessee being able to keep up with the pace of the game. They cut the deficit down to to 3-4 points and played much better defense. It slso showed that our bigs nedd to get in better physical condition and pla aggressively on both offense and defense. Being tall can be an asset but our bigs do not jump, or block out very well. S&C during the off season must be stressed or we will not compete very well against the best teams. It doesn't mean very much to try to get the ball inside when you hit fewer that 50% of your layups.
Exactly my thoughts - last 5-8 min they went 4 guard and small and with their hair on fire they played great and cut it to 3 points. With our bigs being slow and lazy height doesnt matter esp when we constantly try to pass inside and they just fumble it away or cant beat the double team.

Reactions: southerngirl
I don't see much improvement in this team from game to game. Coach Harper needs to get off the bench and coach just like Barnes does and coach Summit did. These are young players that need correcting when they screw up.

Unless something’s changed, Barnes sits on the bench a lot and has been criticized for it.

I posted this in the other forum, worth a read (at least I think so ;))

Ok, I was very critical of the Harper hire, but had a lot of optimism that she could turn it around. I do see a better chemistry on this team from an interpersonal perspective, but not much improvement on the court. The fact that this team has two players who were top 5 recruits (Rennia and Jordan) and several others who were top 25 in their respective class (Kasi, Rae, Jazmin) tells me that there is a serious coaching deficiency. To have 23 turnovers this late in the season is completely unacceptable. Post play on offense is virtually non-existent, and lack of fundamentals like boxing out, screen and roll, and hard cuts to the basket continue to be embarrassing. You cannot blame players for doing their best in a new system, but the level of raw talent that is on this team is something that can be harnessed to what should be an SEC 2nd or 3rd place level. I like coach Harper as a person and am very thankful for what she was able to help the program accomplish as a player. But you have to wonder what a Jeff Walz, Vic Schafer, Kim Mulkey, or even Coach Neighbors could get out of this team. If you watched the game last night, contrast the energy and enthusiasm of the Arkansas staff vs ours. Not even close. We all wanted the fire and drive of Pat Summit in our new coach, I just don't see it consistently. I don't care if we went 10-19 on the season, if a player continues to make simple mistakes such as telegraphing passes, not boxing out, or taking possessions off, Pat would have sat their butts on the bench to teach them the priviledge of playing in a Lady Vols uniform. More accountability needs to happen. This losing streak looks a lot like Holly's last year from a pure coaching perspective. I don't think the team gave up or simply dialed it in. I think they are longing for the discipline needed to help elevate their game.
I am willing to give coach Harper a chance - one season doesn't mean she doesn't have 'IT', but at the same time, allowing players to continue to under perform with little accountability does not bring confidence to this Lady Vols fan of 35+ years. CKH needs to stop worrying about the fragility of the team's mentality and stomp on a few egg shells instead of trying to walk on them. Again, the amount of talent on this team is really top 10 if you look at individual recruiting rankings. It's time to step up, hold these players accountable and instill that Pat Summit mentality of either produce on the court, or sit on the bench!
Put Dawn Staley in this list. However, the LVs woes did not start with Kellie Harper. It started with the advisers to AD Fulmer. They wanted to restore the legacy of Pat Summitt with a former Lady Vol as head coach. Pat Summitt was a once in a lifetime great coach.

Tell us specifically what opened your eyes. What did she do or not do as a coach that was so telling? I am curious to know.

- Flailing her hands in an attempt to, I assume, tell the team what defense they were to be in - Rae and Key held out their hands as if they were confused because John was holding up a sign that apparently contradicted what Kellie was asking them to do.

- Jordan made a turnover and looked towards the bench at a frustrated Kellie - when Jordan came out at the next dead ball, there was no teaching moment. You’re frustrated, explain to her why, in that very moment.

- When we got it down to, I think 4 points in the 3rd quarter and Arkansas made a run to stretch the lead back to 10 - we called a FULL timeout and Kellie talked to her assistants almost the whole time out and talked to the girls maybe 45 seconds.

- Didn’t seem motivation or energetic, IMO, when the girls went on runs to get back in the game, GET EXCITED for them, pump them up, encourage them to stay after it. I didn’t see any of that. As the game was “general admission” and you literally got to sit anywhere you wanted, I was able to sit pretty close. Granted I couldn’t hear EVERYTHING but I didn’t notice a lot of energy from her.

- John seems to be doing a majority of the coaching.

It just seemed off for ME! Maybe it’s because they are in the midst of this losing streak, but the whole team and staff just lacked any type of energy or passion after the first quarter.

I saw a lot of
Unfortunately, what you said is true. There is a saying,"If men don't learn from history, they are bound to repeat it". The advisers to AD Fulmer blew a lot of smoke his way and derailed him from seeking and hiring the best head coach available, man or woman (These were his own words, except for the "derailed" part). They talked him into hiring a former Lady Vol who would continue the Pat Summitt method of coaching. What the advisers fail to realize is, Pat Summitt was a once in a lifetime great coach with her own style of coaching that worked for her and no one else.
KJH’s coaching style at MoState was nothing like Holly’s. She played a guard oriented offense. If you stopped them on the 3, they would dribble drive and kick it out if the shot was not there. Those girls gang rebound and they were physical and they played with heart. Before KJH arrived at MoState the team was a mess. It took her two years to make MoState competitive. Those kids were no stars but KJH made them play like winners. Those women had three times the heart over the Lady Vols. They would not backdown for anyone. On defense they were like ants at high school picnic. That is how they beat two D1 teams and gave Stanford a run for their money. You can’t decide based upon what you see early in KJH tenure she will be another Holly. You have to give KJH’s staff a chance to recruit their own players who fit their system. Her fresh leg theory will not work with this team, they don’t have the heart or the physicality. With her MoState team there was very little difference from the players she ran in and out. They also shot the three well. Another thing, I can’t think of the young lady’s name but she was a good leader, that is something this team really does not have. Give her a chance before you are ready to kick her to the curve.

Last edited:
I saw a lot of

KJH’s coaching style at MoState was nothing like Holly’s. She played a guard oriented offense. If you stopped them on the 3, they would dribble drive and kick it out if the shot was not there. Those girls gang rebound and they were physical and they played with heart. Before KJH arrived at MoState the team was a mess. It took her two years to make MoState competitive. Those kids were no stars but KJH made them play like winners. Those women had three times the heart over the Lady Vols. They would not backdown for anyone. On defense they were like ants at high school picnic. That is how they beat two D1 teams and gave Stanford a run for their money. You can’t decide based upon what you see early in KJH tenure she will be another Holly. You have to give KJH’s staff a chance to recruit their own players who fit their system. Her fresh leg theory will not work with this team, they don’t have the heart or the physicality. With her MoState team there was very little difference from the players she ran in and out. They also shot the three well. Another thing, I can’t think of the young lady but she had as a leader, but that is something this team really does not have. Give her a chance before you are ready to kick her to the curve.

Just because she had some success at MoState doesn't mean she will have success at P5 teams like Tenn.

Reactions: LadyVol1908

VN Store

Back