LSU Postgame Report

I think Vescovi would benefit by losing a few pounds. Would help his quickness and stamina. He is one of those deceptively quick guys with the ball, but maybe not so quick on D. The team will adjust to that, imo.

I was shocked to see the rebounds being even BUT when your new point guard leads you in rebounding then you have a problem. Fulky has a little "dog" in him and will go after rebounds, but I haven't seen anyone else do it. As undersized as we are, we have to go after rebounds with a vengeance. We sorely need an inside presence but it won't happen this season (let's hope Plavsic is very good or it may not happen next year).

Until/unless Bowden comes around, we are going to keep getting blown out. We aren't very good at this point.

Reactions: Vols All Day
It's weird how most of the turnovers came in the first half, but LSU won by dominating the 2nd half. They probably had more 2nd half 3s and they were very efficient at turning their offensive rebounds into easy baskets.

James & Bowden will both benefit from Santiago handling the ball. And Pons may benefit the most both seem to have some instincts already from playing international ball, that dish & dunk was gorgeous.

Turner could have benefited as well, wonder if he pulled the plug too early?

The biggest take is Vescovi is good. And with all the previous mentions of the obstacles he faced before his first college game, he could be really good.

This team unfortunately isn’t good. I’m shocked how bad they are defensively. Just stunned. Even Barnes’ first two teams constantly tried on defense, this team lacks effort on that end. It’s crazy.

The biggest take is Vescovi is good. And with all the previous mentions of the obstacles he faced before his first college game, he could be really good.

This team unfortunately isn’t good. I’m shocked how bad they are defensively. Just stunned. Even Barnes’ first two teams constantly tried on defense, this team lacks effort on that end. It’s crazy.
Turner being our leader on defense has hurt us more than losing his offense. No D intensity the last 2 losses. Guys just going thru the motions, with people running past them.

Reactions: i2amavol
Listen I am glad the kid is a vol but he looks like an off guard that is a set shooter. I don’t see explosiveness in his quickness or leaping. Very average looking athleticism to me
Barnes did comment about his athleticism being better than he showed and he can attack the rim however he did mention that he lacks lateral quickness and he will need to work on. I look forward to watching him grow through this year and following.

Effort is not the problem. One some players our average defensive players ie still learning how to play. Two Turner was your best on ball defender no more and its unfortunate that we don't have inside presence with Uros having to sit.

It's weird how most of the turnovers came in the first half, but LSU won by dominating the 2nd half. They probably had more 2nd half 3s and they were very efficient at turning their offensive rebounds into easy baskets.
We also hit 9 3s in the first half and only 4 in the second half.

And it's a stark difference from how good they were defensively to start the season.

Turner being our leader on defense has hurt us more than losing his offense. No D intensity the last 2 losses. Guys just going thru the motions, with people running past them.

Two words. Freshmen.

They unfortunately have no one to lead them by experience, now, with Turner out. Bowden is the only one qualified with experience, seniority, and ability, but he just isn't a leader. Same with Fulk. We currently have a team of soldiers waiting to be lead. Not a bad thing if there is an alpha dog to lead them, but we lost our one and only option. What we lost in Grant and AS was their ability and skill on the court, but equally important was their leadership.

Like it Chris. Keep it coming. We shot so well from 3 in the first half and still trailed at halftime, kinda knew we were gonna lose by double digits at that point and lost interest.

Reactions: cncchris33
Defensively I personally think we should go zone some going forward. We don’t have anybody that can stay in front of a guard/defend the pick and roll, and nobody big enough to bang inside. I think we have enough length at the guard position to rebound and cover some of these deficiencies in a zone.

Effort is not the problem. One some players our average defensive players ie still learning how to play. Two Turner was your best on ball defender no more and its unfortunate that we don't have inside presence with Uros having to sit.

They lazily close out. They don’t rotate well. They don’t fight through screens.

4 of them have no excuse. They've been with Barnes 3 to 4 years. It is effort in their cases, not learning.

If I had told you before the season had Started that Pons would drop 18 points in a conference game. How many would have thought we would lose that game by more than 10 points?

They lazily close out. They don’t rotate well. They don’t fight through screens.
Very telling that Barnes was effusive in his praise for Vedcovi and his ability to run over top of screens, and called him the best on the team in that regard. He's been there a week.

Reactions: VOLED
4 of them have no excuse. They've been with Barnes 3 to 4 years. It is effort in their cases, not learning.
You our still under the assumption that all players can be good defensive players. There is much more than just effort. For some it gets better but never what you want.

The speed and athletes bothered Vescovi passing and handling the ball but as time passes he will adjust. He obviously gives a scoring threat from outside that now has to be accounted for.
Hes not gonna out athlete many people but he can still be very productive.
This team doesnt have anyone right now that can get to the rim or take the ball on entries from 15 ft and in and get you consistent baskets. We shot a high % last year because we had a go to in Grant and a PG that could break Ds down.

This bunch is gonna have to shoot the 3 well like they did Saturday and defend a lot better. Bowden cant struggle that bad and things work out. The inside options are just not there.

I know nothing about Missouri's rim protectors, but I'll be even more optimistic if Vescovi is able to drop in a few baskets after penetrating into the painted area.

You our still under the assumption that all players can be good defensive players. There is much more than just effort. For some it gets better but never what you want.
When it's the same players who were holding teams under 40% scoring a half, earlier in the season and now giving up 50%+, when did they suddenly forget or become bad defenders. Yes Turner's leadership should have some effect, but this much?

When it's the same players who were holding teams under 40% scoring a half, earlier in the season and now giving up 50%+, when did they suddenly forget or become bad defenders. Yes Turner's leadership should have some effect, but this much?
A great on the ball defender is huge to being really good Defensive team. Without a team can get into its sets very easy.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I know nothing about Missouri's rim protectors, but I'll be even more optimistic if Vescovi is able to drop in a few baskets after penetrating into the painted area.
You can count on Zoe's team playing D. We don't We done. Sooner better than later.

VN Store

Back