LSU Postgame Report

cncchris33

Vescovi commentary coming up, but first...

1. The rebounding numbers surprise me (34-33 UT), because it felt like we got dominated on the boards. LSU did have 11 ORebs and outscored us 32-18 in the paint.

2. To that point, we shot 13-26 (50%) from 3 and 11-34 (32%) from 2. That is pretty pitiful, and just continues to highlight our struggle to score the ball inside the perimeter. We miss so many shots at the rim due to a lack of size, strength, experience, and maybe talent. I know Barnes loves Nkamhoua, but he has really struggled for about a month, now. Fulk is playing well, but he's limited. Pons is our best threat in the paint, but isn't going to score much with his back to the basket. This is an enormous area of concern because we aren't likely to shoot 50% from 3 very often.

3. Jordan Bowden...dang. Where have you gone. That kid is in a slump to end all slumps. 17-69 (24.6%) overall and 9-39 (23%) from 3 in the last 6 games since the Emerald Coast Classic. Most concerning is that 5 of those 6 have been home games. He is simply struggling with no signs of coming out of it. 1-12 shooting today, and the one he hit was truly ugly (and fortunate). He was missing and missing badly, today.

4. The officiating was truly brutal. Didn't cost us a win like last year's game possibly did, but still bad. I saw more illegal screens called in the first half on Tennessee than some teams probably have had called against them all season, so far. The officials were also apparently scared to death to call Skylar Mayes' 3rd foul, as he committed at least 2, if not 3 offensive fouls in the 1st half that should have been his 3rd. Multiple walks uncalled. Just bad.

5. Pons and JJJ had really good games today.

Pons: 18 pts, 3 rebs, 3 blks, 1 asst
JJJ: 15 pts, 5 rebs, 1 asst, 1 stl
12-23 shooting, 6-10 from 3, and 1 TO between them.

We could use more rebounding from Pons with his athleticism, but solid effort overall. Speaking of athleticism, there may not be a better athletic matchup in the SEC than Pons vs Emmitt Williams. Two absolute freaks.

6. Now for Santiago Vescovi. Clearly the kid can shoot. Great form and release. Shot looks very consistent and smooth. The ones he missed were even on target. His 2s were all challenged and probably mostly ill-advised, low percentage shots, but he was just trying to create offense. The TOs are concerning, but I'll be more concerned if he is making those same mistakes in game #8. I can excuse a lot of it due to nerves and adjustment to environment, time, speed and athleticism. LSU is a very long and athletic defense. Not an easy first task, and aside from the TOs, he looked like he belonged. His handle needs a little work, his awareness needs improvement, and his decision-making is a bit reckless, but he's learning on the job. He obviously has the requisite skill to succeed at this level. He just needs to rein in the bad plays and continue to improve. 18 pts, 6 rebs, 4 assists, and 8 TOs is a pretty solid debut for a kid who was likely going to redshirt two weeks ago.

1. The rebounding numbers surprise me (34-33 UT), because it felt like we got dominated on the boards. LSU did have 11 ORebs and outscored us 32-18 in the paint.

2. To that point, we shot 13-26 (50%) from 3 and 11-34 (32%) from 2. That is pretty pitiful, and just continues to highlight our struggle to score the ball inside the perimeter. We miss so many shots at the rim due to a lack of size, strength, experience, and maybe talent. I know Barnes loves Nkamhoua, but he has really struggled for about a month, now. Fulk is playing well, but he's limited. Pons is our best threat in the paint, but isn't going to score much with his back to the basket. This is an enormous area of concern because we aren't likely to shoot 50% from 3 very often.

3. Jordan Bowden...dang. Where have you gone. That kid is in a slump to end all slumps. 17-69 (24.6%) overall and 9-39 (23%) from 3 in the last 6 games since the Emerald Coast Classic. Most concerning is that 5 of those 6 have been home games. He is simply struggling with no signs of coming out of it. 1-12 shooting today, and the one he hit was truly ugly (and fortunate). He was missing and missing badly, today.

4. The officiating was truly brutal. Didn't cost us a win like last year's game possibly did, but still bad. I saw more illegal screens called in the first half on Tennessee than some teams probably have had called against them all season, so far. The officials were also apparently scared to death to call Skylar Mayes' 3rd foul, as he committed at least 2, if not 3 offensive fouls in the 1st half that should have been his 3rd. Multiple walks uncalled. Just bad.

We could use more rebounding from Pons with his athleticism, but solid effort overall. Speaking of athleticism, there may not be a better athletic matchup in the SEC than Pons vs Emmitt Williams. Two absolute freaks.

6. Now for Santiago Vescovi. Clearly the kid can shoot. Great form and release. Shot looks very consistent and smooth. The ones he missed were even on target. His 2s were all challenged and probably mostly ill-advised, low percentage shots, but he was just trying to create offense. The TOs are concerning, but I'll be more concerned if he is making those same mistakes in game #8. I can excuse a lot of it due to nerves and adjustment to environment, time, speed and athleticism. LSU is a very long and athletic defense. Not an easy first task, and aside from the TOs, he looked like he belonged. His handle needs a little work, his awareness needs improvement, and his decision-making is a bit reckless, but he's learning on the job. He obviously has the requisite skill to succeed at this level. He just needs to rein in the bad plays and continue to improve. 18 pts, 6 rebs, 4 assists, and 8 TOs is a pretty solid debut for a kid who was likely going to redshirt two weeks ago.

Pretty much my exact thoughts posted in the game thread. Nkamhoua needs to give us more from a rebounding perspective as well, and generally overall, but he is a freshman.

We can’t continue to get outscored in the paint, but we lack players who can take it to the hole off the bounce to even draw fouls and get to the free throw line. Thus the 14-5 FT disparity today. However, even with our lack of dribble/drive scorers that FT disparity is still pretty disconcerting. Several BS calls/non calls from the refs today. That paired with Bowden’s shooting slump is not a good combo.

I liked the potential I saw in Vescovi, both shooting and passing, but you’re right he has to cut down the TO’s. 9 from SV and 14 overall is too many. That seems to be the magic number. Every game with 14 or more TO’s this year we have lost. Every game with less than 14 we have won....But freshman mistakes. We will improve.

Last edited:

Good write up.

I'm banking on Vescovi only getting better now that Barnes & staff have some game film to break down with him.

As to Vescovi: The kid made 6 3-pointers in his debut game - as a freshman.
Sure he made the sort of mistakes you expect out of a freshman (especially one who's had precious little time to practice with his teammates).
He'll learn to play defense and limit his turnovers as time goes by and he learns the system.
Best of all, he provides a badly-needed spark to this under-manned team.
I think we'll keep him.

Last edited:
Opponents will have game film on him also. He will be the defensive focus of every team we play thus far. He will get better but it will get tougher to get his shots.

Hated the loss, but saw glimpses of a promising future for the Vols. Vescovi looked as advertised, besides the turnovers. Loved the no hesitation in taking the 3, even though it was his first game. As for Bowden, aint giving up on the old boy. People need to realize he just lost his grandmother weeks ago and none of us know how close he may have been to her. He has been streaky in the past, I know that. However, he has had some memorable games and is the most experienced player we have on the roster. May be worth thinking of bringing him off the bench for a while. Fultzy, the ole hometown boy, is nothing but grit and hustle and does many things there are no stats for. Pons seems to be the most improved overall, but would love to see him rip the rim off with his athleticism. Look forward to seeing this team begin gelling from here on. Once again, hate losing as bad as anyone else, but feel there is light at the end of the tunnel. ALWAYS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

giphy.gif

I’m down on SV as a PG. I don’t see the athleticism needed to beat people off the dribble

Many encouraging signs today. Vescovi has a smooth shot. James is growing in confidence with his and Pons has certainly developed into a real good overall player.

The one area that will probably hurt this team throughout the season is the low post defense. When your only big man is gangly and unathletic, I think many opponents will take advantage of it. And I disagree with those who said LSU is a bad team.

I don't have much to add about Vescovi's offense. Most people have covered it accurately. Nice potential once he adjusts to the increase in his defender's speed and athleticism based on what he is used to. What nobody has said much about that is a concern is his defense is a big liability. Once developed he will probably be a player that makes up for his lack of defense with his offensive contributions rather than somebody that develops into a good defender. Under the ridiculous circumstances, you gotta love that he came in with confidence, bravado and aggressive rather than being tentative. Which is such a breath of fresh air compared to the entire rest of the team that has been playing so tentative and with zero confidence.

Good write up. It was nice to see JJJ put more loft on his outside shot. I still believe we have to work inside/out when the opponents half court defense is set, because you are correct....expecting us to shoot well from the perimeter consistently isn’t likely. But we often don’t even look to make an entry pass to the post or anywhere in the paint. Additionally, I don’t even know if Fulky can face up and hit a 10-15 foot shot. Not sure I have ever seen him shoot one. Teach Pons how to dribble and his athleticism will shine even moreso next year. Bowden...have no clue what the answer is. Otherwise, give more players minutes so they develop and let’s run more and be more aggressive on initial or secondary breaks. Only way to do that however is to defend and eliminate offensive rebounds which we didn’t do very well today. Fulky, Pons, and ON get pushed around, but each of them can run.

Only one game but Vescovi’s shot looks pure. And he clearly isn’t afraid. He is going to be a nice college player for years. When he actually learns what our offense is and knows where his teammates are on the court I don’t think he will turn it over as much when he puts it on the floor and drives to the goal. I do think Barnes needs to use Pons more as a screener at the top of the key as at least he is a bigger threat as a pick and pop than others.

Reactions: cncchris33 and wlkx
It's going to be a tough year.

But keep in mind, Vescovi was supposed to be the 4th best recruit in next years class.
Between him, the 3 new frosh, and Uros coming back, I believe the future is bright.

I understand it is frustrating to watch. But yeah people should not project that frustration forward. Barnes didn't forget how to coach. And when you add Bailey, Plavsic, 3 stud freshman to a physically stronger Gaines, an more comfortable/confident/aggressive JJJ, more experienced Pons, and stronger more experienced Vescovi....whew! That is a really strong 9 deep. That has the makings of a great team. People shouldn't sleep on these freshman. They are the types of players that will adjust quickly to the college game.

I understand it is frustrating to watch. But yeah people should not project that frustration forward. Barnes didn't forget how to coach. And when you add Bailey, Plavsic, 3 stud freshman to a physically stronger Gaines, an more comfortable/confident/aggressive JJJ, more experienced Pons, and stronger more experienced Vescovi....whew! That is a really strong 9 deep. And that doesn't count Fulky who we know will play. That has the makings of a great team. People shouldn't sleep on these freshman. They are the types of players that will adjust quickly to the college game.

Opponents will have game film on him also. He will be the defensive focus of every team we play thus far. He will get better but it will get tougher to get his shots.

It should be the goal of a point guard to draw a double or triple team. That is when you can pile up the assists. Our team would do well if that would happen a lot.

I also think he knows the game well enough to get open without the ball. So, he will get his shots.

Hated the loss, but saw glimpses of a promising future for the Vols. Vescovi looked as advertised, besides the turnovers. Loved the no hesitation in taking the 3, even though it was his first game. As for Bowden, aint giving up on the old boy. People need to realize he just lost his grandmother weeks ago and none of us know how close he may have been to her. He has been streaky in the past, I know that. However, he has had some memorable games and is the most experienced player we have on the roster. May be worth thinking of bringing him off the bench for a while. Fultzy, the ole hometown boy, is nothing but grit and hustle and does many things there are no stats for. Pons seems to be the most improved overall, but would love to see him rip the rim off with his athleticism. Look forward to seeing this team begin gelling from here on. Once again, hate losing as bad as anyone else, but feel there is light at the end of the tunnel. ALWAYS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

All good points!

I’m down on SV as a PG. I don’t see the athleticism needed to beat people off the dribble

In the videos I saw, they were running him pretty hard this week. I could imagine that his legs may not have been recovered yet. I think we will have a better idea of his athletic potential after he acclimates a bit more.

Reactions: wlkx
wmcovol your right, everyone is going to chase SV off the three point line and make him beat them from inside the three point line. While LSU is one of the better athletic teams in the country, there is reason to be concerned about SV beating people off the dribble as Bruin has alluded to. Even with the head fakes and change of speed SV was not successful in creating much space today. It may be hard for SV to incorporate these moves at this point in the season, but for him to be successful at this level I think he needs to watch how Steve Nash was crafty in the paint through circling, attacking the opponents hips, and using the rim to protect him.

Reactions: mytenn and BruinVol
FT 's
could not get to the line, refs were letting them play. Loved that when we had Grant & Admiral. This group is the opposite.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back