Love Gaines’ hustle

Yes, you said Johnson should keep his minutes after I said Gaines should get Johnson’s minutes. I’m more impressed with Gaines’ contribution vs Johnson. JMO, but was interested in what others thought

Yes, you said Johnson should keep his minutes after I said Gaines should get Johnson’s minutes. I’m more impressed with Gaines’ contribution vs Johnson. JMO, but was interested in what others thought

You left out me saying Gaines needs to take Oliviers minutes. He needs to sit the rest of the year unless we have serious foul trouble imo. Gaines rebounds better than him anyway so going small isn’t all bad

Gaines and Johnson both get minutes this way

Reactions: RollerVol
Olivier’s minutes have been dwindling so CRB must share your opinion there but I think UP has grabbed those. I’d like to see Gaines at a consistent 15-20 minutes a game to see what he could really do

Olivier’s minutes have been dwindling so CRB must share your opinion there but I think UP has grabbed those. I’d like to see Gaines at a consistent 15-20 minutes a game to see what he could really do

I like him playing more but I don’t see anyway he will get that many. Remember James is about to be back

Reactions: berryvol
I have been screaming for a month that I would like to see Fulkerson, Pons, Gaines, Bowden and Vescovi at the same time. It finally happened tonight and they went on a run.

Reactions: berryvol and Volle
Same here, been preaching Gaines should play more, he’s the quickest guy on the team and is a disruptor on defense. I think he should take mins from JJJ.

He seems to be very, very quick. Add that to a hustling attitude and he's going to be a valuable asset going forward.

Wasn't Gaines the first off the bench? (Regardless of what Booker said as Fulky did start) Must be showing something in practice, which is were you get the chance for more minutes.
Maybe it was Pender in first on second thought.

Last edited:
Gaines has very good instincts and toughness. He puts on 15lbs and he will be even better. I wouldn't be shocked if he is not the surprise player next year.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I think going small here on out is the move...less of Plavsic/ORN/Pember (not that any are playing big minutes). Ride with Fulk at the 5 and against most teams, we did it last night, Pons can give you 10 minutes a game at the 5 with his strength and leaping ability. Opens up minutes for Gaines and Johnson to both see their minutes increase, and I think both, especially Gaines, are probably bringing more than Plavsic/ORN/Pember.

Reactions: RollerVol
Gaines and JJ have both reached another level over the past couple weeks. Hope their development continues. Helps offset JJJ loss tremendously.

I think going small here on out is the move...less of Plavsic/ORN/Pember (not that any are playing big minutes). Ride with Fulk at the 5 and against most teams, we did it last night, Pons can give you 10 minutes a game at the 5 with his strength and leaping ability. Opens up minutes for Gaines and Johnson to both see their minutes increase, and I think both, especially Gaines, are probably bringing more than Plavsic/ORN/Pember.
completely agree - that's our best bet. The fear is that it turns into another Texas A&M game where we give up 150 offensive rebounds.

UK with Richards and EJM on the court together will really test that lineup, I’m afraid. I think Fulk can body EJM and hopefully try and keep him off the boards, and Pons will have to not let Richards get over top of him when the guards drive to the basket. He is going to have to show some discipline on defense and not lose Richards or it will be oop city. It will be a challenge for those two, but we may not have many better options.

UK with Richards and EJM on the court together will really test that lineup, I’m afraid. I think Fulk can body EJM and hopefully try and keep him off the boards, and Pons will have to not let Richards get over top of him when the guards drive to the basket. He is going to have to show some discipline on defense and not lose Richards or it will be oop city. It will be a challenge for those two, but we may not have many better options.

It’s not going to work against everyone...the teams like State and UK we will struggle, but we likely aren’t winning those with more minutes for Plavsic or ORN anyways so I would rather get those guys used to playing together and hope maybe they can pull one out against smaller team like Arkansas/Auburn.

Gaines "gets it". The first time I thought that was early in the season when he grabbed a loose ball rebound or turnover and immediately hit a teammate in stride on the opposite side of the floor. When I watch him I see a stats stuffer by year three. I'm reminded of J P Prince.

Barnes praised Gaines after the game saying that he contributed a lot to the team despite not scoring. I really, really like Gaines.

This picture right here sums it up for me. His play energized the team and my new name for him is "Hustle Man". With his reach, he can guard positions 1-3 and is going to get his hands on a lot of passes in the future.
View attachment 259162
I hate the foul call on him there, too. Loose ball, no possession, he has every right to that ball. He clearly knocked it out and the ref could have swallowed his whistle there and rewarded the hustle play without penalty. It was going to be Bama’s ball anyway, and Lewis tripped over Gaines’ body on the floor. Gaines didn’t really make any contact with Lewis until after he contacted the ball, and then it’s questionable who initiated the contact. Just a poor job of being judicious as a referee in that spot.

Reactions: twoffo
I'm telling you this much - In four years, this guy will be lauded in the same breath as Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield by Vol fans. He isn't going to compete with Josiah James or the three guys next year, but will be a solid four year player that will be a fan favorite by the end of his time.

Reactions: Volle
DG didn’t stuff the stat sheet tonight, but his hustle led to a lot of good things for the Vols. Thought he got 2 weak fouls called against him when he was hustling on D. Hope he continues to get solid minutes as he may develop into a really good player if given the opportunity.
That one foul was complete crap. He dove for and beat the Bama player to the ball. There were some really bad calls and Ut fought through it.

Wasn't Gaines the first off the bench? (Regardless of what Booker said as Fulky did start) Must be showing something in practice, which is were you get the chance for more minutes.
Maybe it was Pender in first on second thought.

Yes, it was Pember. Interesting decision... maybe Pember is slightly bigger and a little better shooter and ball handler. Maybe he can defend the post more effectively than Gaines, but I'd bet that Gaines is ahead of Pember in the rotation on Saturday. Although Pember might present more flexibility as CRB manages the matchups.

Reactions: Volle and kyvol98

VN Store

Back