Love Gaines’ hustle

Gaines has quickly become my favorite player. I was at some games early in the season, and he stood out with his quickness and speed. He will thrive in Barnes system of developing players and be on some All-SEC lists before he leaves UT.

Yes, it was Pember. Interesting decision... maybe Pember is slightly bigger and a little better shooter and ball handler. Maybe he can defend the post more effectively than Gaines, but I'd bet that Gaines is ahead of Pember in the rotation on Saturday. Although Pember might present more flexibility as CRB manages the matchups.
I can't figure out why ON isn't getting more minutes. I know he has struggled but no more than others. There were enough mistakes in that first half to bench the whole team. I thought he would have done well since the Bama bigs were in foul trouble.

Gaines has very good instincts and toughness. He puts on 15lbs and he will be even better. I wouldn't be shocked if he is not the surprise player next year.
His worst play was when he got the steal (great play) but couldn't real in the ball and then still tried to make the shot, he had Pons trailing and it would have been an incredible dunk. Instead it was a miss that went the other way.

Reactions: sport3500
I can't figure out why ON isn't getting more minutes. I know he has struggled but no more than others. There were enough mistakes in that first half to bench the whole team. I thought he would have done well since the Bama bigs were in foul trouble.

ON has good size, but I think his defensive positioning and awareness may not be far enough along to earn PT. On the other end of the court, he might be the worst pass catcher on the team. That doesn't mix well with Vescovi firing passes from anywhere. Pass catching was a big issue with Kyle Alexander for about two full seasons. Fulkerson also struggled to hold into passes as his blown up lower arm was still mending. I think that ON will come back much improved in 2020-21 if he has the same drive as most on the roster over the last few years.

I think Nkamhoub has hit a wall and Johnson and Gaines are making solid contributions in the abscence of James.

Reactions: The Dog
I think Nkamhoub has hit a wall and Johnson and Gaines are making solid contributions in the abscence of James.
Agree. What really surprises me abount JJ is how well he rebounds and even blocks shots. I wish JJ would get more aggressive on the offensive side. I love Gaines' game, hustle, don't give an eff mentality and think he needs more minutes.

Reactions: sport3500
Agree. What really surprises me abount JJ is how well he rebounds and even blocks shots. I wish JJ would get more aggressive on the offensive side. I love Gaines' game, hustle, don't give an eff mentality and think he needs more minutes.
His shot-blocking is exceptional as 6'7" with a huge wingspan that makes sense. He is rebounding better, but against guys with girth he gets pushed around a ton. Gaines is like spider man defensively. He defends well in most cases, but does get beat off the dribble too easily. With experience, that will change.

Reactions: tn4elvis
His shot-blocking is exceptional as 6'7" with a huge wingspan that makes sense. He is rebounding better, but against guys with girth he gets pushed around a ton. Gaines is like spider man defensively. He defends well in most cases, but does get beat off the dribble too easily. With experience, that will change.
He reminds me of a young Stacy Augman that played at UNLV during their big run.

He reminds me of a young Stacy Augman that played at UNLV during their big run.
Really good comparison. I have liked Gaines from the beginning. With all the wings coming in next year, you wonder if they may redshirt him, which they couldn’t do this year. If not, if he improves his ball handling he could be an interesting backup lead guard. Defensively he is a pest and is disruptive against opposing lead guards or against any primary perimeter scorers. Put him and Keon Johnson on the floor together and they may be able to lock guards up.

Wow, that's high praise. Pretty sure, Augman played over a decade in the NBA and was an elite defender, tho average on the offensive side
Same body type same long arms and quickness. Gaines may prove to be better offensively in the long run. I like his ceiling and think he is going to have a great career here.

Reactions: The Dog

VN Store

Back