looks like Jazmine is leaving

Ah neat. It's hard to find information from those years -- well, that is, hard to find it about this sport anyway. Even stats and game information from the 90s is much more difficult to track down than it once was. The Tennessee website is filled with broken links the further back one goes.

yes true old facts are hard to research.... I am certain of fact that there were at least 2 transfers.... late 70s early 80s... one from Auburn as said.... there was an article in Sports Illustrated that I saved.... I will look for it and post when I find it.....

I can't find a way to research this, but consider how many transfers Pat had in all her years v how many in the last five years
Well Pat did have a few over the years. Kim Smallwood left out of the same class as Holdsclaw and Jolly. In the class with McDivitt there was also Tashekia Morris. Michelle Munoz, Sybil Dosty, Lauren Avant, Amber Gray, Lyssi Brewer are among some of the other names I remember.

Players in general are transferring at a higher rate now and no program has been immune to them. UT can't really afford to lose any talented players if Harper wants to keep them on track to return to a top program.

Reactions: T.J. and Voltopia
Michelle Marciniac

Trish Roberts, Cindy Brogdon and Jill Rankin are three of the all-time greats at UT and all three were transfers (Trish played one year at UT and Brogdon and Rankin played two). It was very controversial at the time because Roberts and Brogdon were Pat's Olympic teammates, and they actually nicknamed us University of Transfer back then. Trish is the only player to average a double double for a season and holds the record for most points in a game. She and Holly made quite a duo back in the day as a center and a PG. Nancy Lieberman also wanted to transfer to UT from ODU and was on that 1976 Olympic team, and Pat didn't want to take her because she viewed her as a selfish player and didn't get along with her on that team. Of course, ODU wound up beating UT for an AIAW title while Nancy was there; I've always wondered if Pat regretted not letting her come.

Other than those three, transfers to UT have traditionally been hard to come by. Michelle Marciniak and Diamond Deshields are two notable exceptions.

Reactions: NeedOrange
Jaz should have been on the floor for 30-32 minutes a game as the primary PG,,,that would have let Jordan grow much more slowly into the college game. Any time you rush a freshman into major minutes at a role like PG for UT, they're going to get a little overwhelmed. Jordan played as minutes at point as Jaz did. I watched every game.
You're right coach, but that was the awful tragedy/backlash Zaay's injury produce , Jordan
was thrown into the fire. It had to be.

Well Pat did have a few over the years. Kim Smallwood left out of the same class as Holdsclaw and Jolly. In the class with McDivitt there was also Tashekia Morris. Michelle Munoz, Sybil Dosty, Lauren Avant, Amber Gray, Lyssi Brewer are among some of the other names I remember.

Gray's situation was a bit special, though, given her health. (Jannah Tucker was a similar situation.) Most of the ones you listed outside of Brewer and McDivitt never saw meaningful playing time at UT. I would put Dosty on the edge of that. Peggy Evans and Teresa Geter were two very, very good players that wound up leaving after two years at UT. And then of course there was SWG. But most of Pat's transfers were players that got little playing time here.

One name from way back in the day is Jerilynn Harper, who transferred to Tennessee Tech and wound up being a Kodak AA there.

We've had many more players in recent years that had meaningful roles leave. Cooper, Green, Westbrook and Massengill were all starters or very important role players.

Reactions: MsSportsGuy
Trish Roberts, Cindy Brogdon and Jill Rankin are three of the all-time greats at UT and all three were transfers (Trish played one year at UT and Brogdon and Rankin played two). It was very controversial at the time because Roberts and Brogdon were Pat's Olympic teammates, and they actually nicknamed us University of Transfer back then. Trish is the only player to average a double double for a season and holds the record for most points in a game. She and Holly made quite a duo back in the day as a center and a PG. Nancy Lieberman also wanted to transfer to UT from ODU and was on that 1976 Olympic team, and Pat didn't want to take her because she viewed her as a selfish player and didn't get along with her on that team. Of course, ODU wound up beating UT for an AIAW title while Nancy was there; I've always wondered if Pat regretted not letting her come.

Other than those three, transfers to UT have traditionally been hard to come by. Michelle Marciniak and Diamond Deshields are two notable exceptions.
Great GREAT post!

If the Lady Vols could grab kyra Lambert for the point guard position, jordan as the 2 guard Davis at the 3 , Rae at the 4 with key at the five would be a nice starting 5 . I’ve seen salary play she can give easily get you 9.5 -10 off the bench if she can stay healthy has had some surgery on the knee. Rennie deep ball & Kasi could help with bench scoring.
That's the problem that will continue......the bench.
We need quality role players no one getting splinters.
Free Saunders

Gray's situation was a bit special, though, given her health. (Jannah Tucker was a similar situation.) Most of the ones you listed outside of Brewer and McDivitt never saw meaningful playing time at UT. I would put Dosty on the edge of that. Peggy Evans and Teresa Geter were two very, very good players that wound up leaving after two years at UT. And then of course there was SWG. But most of Pat's transfers were players that got little playing time here.

One name from way back in the day is Jerilynn Harper, who transferred to Tennessee Tech and wound up being a Kodak AA there.

We've had many more players in recent years that had meaningful roles leave. Cooper, Green, Westbrook and Massengill were all starters or very important role players.
The last group you listed with the exception of Cooper and include Collins, left because we failed their expectation .
The ousting/transfer of Hayes killed two sister recruits that would have been a positive.
Don't forget the three point shooter that left with Cooper,
can't recall her name.
This school is no longer meeting the expectation of these ladies.
The Deshield/Russell/ Nared year was the zenith and the snowball got bigger and bigger going downhill.

Reactions: PG1 and brieeallen
That's the problem that will continue......the bench.
We need quality role players no one getting splinters.
Free Saunders
Yes I’ve wondered why Saunders couldn’t get playing time as well..... because key is technically mobile enough too run the 4 position with Saunders at the five. Sorta like what Baylor ran with Cox and brown. I’m curious as to why she even wasted her this year instead of red shirting Saunders.?

I didn't see this coming at all. Kind of shocked. But if Jazz & Zay want to transfer so be it. I'm not bothered by them leaving just wish them luck & am curious where they'll land. I'm sure I'll watch them play a few games.
I'm upbeat that the LadyVols will be okay. Please no more transfers, tho.

Reactions: krichunaka

I would say McDevitt and Geter played almost as much as the players you mentioned and of course SWG was the starting PG. From the sound of it Hayes and Cooper didn't get much say in whether or not they came back and perhaps Greene hasn't either, still too early to tell.

No program is immune to transfers these days. Boley who starts for Oregon was a starter for ND her freshman year and left. UConn has lost their entire rising senior class (Walker is WNBA bound but the others all wound up at other schools). The transfer portal get more names in it annually.

There are of course plenty of reasons to transfer and the two that seemed to be the most common from years back were of course playing time and proximity to home. I think Geter was homesick and went back to finish her career but most of those others referenced moved further away from home like Middleton and Westbrook.

I truly think the frequent transfers is a symptom of a few facets of the game now that weren't present years ago. There is a significant AAU influence with coaches, players, sponsors. If a young lady doesn't like her AAU team or coach she just finds a new one. Even high school players transfer with a frequency that seems crazy since lots of top prospects are finding themselves at a small number of power programs that are nationally recognized to seemingly get more exposure.

The WNBA doesn't pay very well at all but it does represent an opportunity for the cream of the crop to stay in the US and earn a little money playing basketball. The number of roster spots is insanely small however and the players know this. The jury will be out on Westbrook depending on how she performs at UConn but I truly don't think most of those other players referenced will find themselves on rosters for the WNBA let alone a major factor in the league.

Still best of luck to Zay and Jaz.

I would say McDevitt and Geter played almost as much as the players you mentioned and of course SWG was the starting PG. From the sound of it Hayes and Cooper didn't get much say in whether or not they came back and perhaps Greene hasn't either, still too early to tell.

No program is immune to transfers these days. Boley who starts for Oregon was a starter for ND her freshman year and left. UConn has lost their entire rising senior class (Walker is WNBA bound but the others all wound up at other schools). The transfer portal get more names in it annually.

There are of course plenty of reasons to transfer and the two that seemed to be the most common from years back were of course playing time and proximity to home. I think Geter was homesick and went back to finish her career but most of those others referenced moved further away from home like Middleton and Westbrook.

I truly think the frequent transfers is a symptom of a few facets of the game now that weren't present years ago. There is a significant AAU influence with coaches, players, sponsors. If a young lady doesn't like her AAU team or coach she just finds a new one. Even high school players transfer with a frequency that seems crazy since lots of top prospects are finding themselves at a small number of power programs that are nationally recognized to seemingly get more exposure.

The WNBA doesn't pay very well at all but it does represent an opportunity for the cream of the crop to stay in the US and earn a little money playing basketball. The number of roster spots is insanely small however and the players know this. The jury will be out on Westbrook depending on how she performs at UConn but I truly don't think most of those other players referenced will find themselves on rosters for the WNBA let alone a major factor in the league.

Still best of luck to Zay and Jaz.

"WNBA doesn't pay well at all".. Do u kn how much their new salary is now? or ur just talking.

Definitely so with Tree Geter. Not as much with McDivitt, although she was an important player off the bench. She never started or saw a ton of minutes given she was in a rotation with Kara Lawson, Ace Clement and then Loree Moore, and wouldn't have started had she stayed for her senior year. Pat talked glowingly about Tree Geter in the years after she left and never mentioned McDivitt publicly that I can recall, so there's that.

Certainly nobody is immune to transfers but I think it's safe to say that important players transferred at a much, much lower rate under Pat than they did Holly. Time will tell about Kellie but we aren't off to a good start at all. We already have a limited class coming in and losing two players that were going to start next year is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: glv98
Speaking of transfers, don't know if anyone mentioned 6'5" Tammy Larkey who played at nearby Daniel Boone High School.

Tammy was a Lady Vol for a couple of years in the early '80's before transferring to ETSU.

yes true old facts are hard to research.... I am certain of fact that there were at least 2 transfers.... late 70s early 80s... one from Auburn as said.... there was an article in Sports Illustrated that I saved.... I will look for it and post when I find it.....

Found it... this is from the Sports Illustrated article.... I was mistaken... wasn't Auburn at all..... from Emporia State and Mercer...

From SI
Two years ago, when Center Trish Roberts left Emporia ( Kans.) State and turned up at Tennessee for her senior season, opposing coaches winked at each other and congratulated Head on her good fortune. That was putting it mildly, seeing as how Roberts, a member of the 1976 U.S. Olympic team, poured in 51 points in her first game and led the Lady Vols to that third-place finish in last year's national tournament. When Forward Cindy Brogdon of Mercer University transferred this season to Tennessee—where she has averaged 23 points a game—rival coaches stopped winking and began blinking in disbelief. True, Brogdon had been Head's roommate in Montreal when they both played on the Olympic team. It is also true that Brogdon's coach at Mercer, the flamboyant Peggy Collins, had quit to take the Mississippi State job, and Cindy was ripe to be persuaded to go elsewhere. But how did the switch come about and who made the first move?

What disturbs Mercer officials is that Head and Roberts both showed up at the Georgia Hall of Fame dinner in Atlanta in February 1977. They had good reason for being there, because Roberts, a Georgia native, was being honored and logically would have been accompanied by her coach. The only snag is that Head was seen talking to Brogdon, who still had not finished her sophomore season at Mercer. Although this conversation may have been innocuous, the AIAW's reliance on self-policing left Head open to allegations of "tampering" by her rivals.

"If there was enticement by Pat Head, and if it happened that night, I can't prove it," says Mercer Athletic Director John Mitchell. "But Ed Nixon, the Alabama coach, is a friend of Cindy's, and he will tell you what she told him."

VN Store

Back