looks like Jazmine is leaving

Have you looked at her career stats?
Yes I have too be honest in the games she has started she’s averaged 7.0 ppg and 3.0 reb . She would be a great role player not a starter however; she give experience. I played under a coach who coaches like kellie . And I’ve played collegiate and overseas career and a huge lady Vols fan what kellie need as well as pg is more experienced players and a better bench. The greatest teams have bench scoring we really couldn’t sustain scoring when a key starter was in foul trouble or needed a break. We need to get back to being animals on defense I remember watching in 2008 how the lady Vols in the championship obliterated Stanford offense not really letting them get in great rhythm. Role players are key.

Yes I have too be honest in the games she has started she’s averaged 7.0 ppg and 3.0 reb . She would be a great role player not a starter however; she give experience. I played under a coach who coaches like kellie . And I’ve played collegiate and overseas career and a huge lady Vols fan what kellie need as well as pg is more experienced players and a better bench. The greatest teams have bench scoring we really couldn’t sustain scoring when a key starter was in foul trouble or needed a break. We need to get back to being animals on defense I remember watching in 2008 how the lady Vols in the championship obliterated Stanford offense not really letting them get in great rhythm. Role players are key.

you have to be both...sometimes one facet of your strength isn't working and you have to be able to switch gears
That was evident in this year, we stopped a lot of teams, but we didn't score enough to win when defense wasn't the answer.

Offense wins games and defense wins championships

Develop offense in the first half of the season against your cupcake schedule. Develop chemistry and flow.
Then switch gears in conference play and emphasize defense until both are peaking at the right time.

True however in playing the game a while I was blessed too be a solid go too on offense and solid defense. But I’ve played with players who would probably average 4.0 ppg max but was defensive stoppers like a Didi Richards of Baylor. Who started along with me but that energy they gave was the X factor a lot of these players are gifted offensively yet still have one dimensional game because they want play at both ends of the court every single possession. When you’re the tallest Vols team in history no way in heck you shouldn’t be boxing out properly and at least 2-3 players with double rebounds a game.

Did Summitt have a lot of transfers or take a lot of transfers during her coaching career?

Sadie Wiley-Gatewood left here in 2005...Was only here for one full season, and a little of the second season.......Left here because she said she could not play her game here...Transferred to Maryland. Fans here were fairly upset she left.
7CBS_Sa_de_Wiley_Gatewood.jpg

sade-wileygatewood-of-the-maryland-terrapins-brings-the-ball-up-the-picture-id73374135

Did Summitt have a lot of transfers or take a lot of transfers during her coaching career?

Summitt had a number of transfers out over the years. You usually didn't hear too much about them because Tennessee was loaded with McDonalds All-Americans everywhere, so losing a few players, even good ones, didn't sink the ship. Tasheika Morris (Florida State), Nicci Moats (not sure where), Alyssia Brewer (somewhere in California), and April McDivitt (UCSB) come to mind.

I don't recall many transfers in. We all know about Marciniak, but I can't think of many more. Summitt did soften a bit on jucos later on, particularly when she needed to patch holes in the Parker and Friends roadshow. But those were not transfers, so, not much help for this question.

Summitt had a number of transfers out over the years. You usually didn't hear too much about them because Tennessee was loaded with McDonalds All-Americans everywhere, so losing a few players, even good ones, didn't sink the ship. Tasheika Morris (Florida State), Nicci Moats (not sure where), Alyssia Brewer (somewhere in California), and April McDivitt (UCSB) come to mind.

I don't recall many transfers in. We all know about Marciniak, but I can't think of many more. Summitt did soften a bit on jucos later on, particularly when she needed to patch holes in the Parker and Friends roadshow. But those were not transfers, so, not much help for this question.

She had a couple transfer in the very early 80s i believe.... from Auburn was one of them and the other i forget.... I will try and track down info

Reactions: Voltopia
She had a couple transfer in the very early 80s i believe.... from Auburn was one of them and the other i forget.... I will try and track down info

Ah neat. It's hard to find information from those years -- well, that is, hard to find it about this sport anyway. Even stats and game information from the 90s is much more difficult to track down than it once was. The Tennessee website is filled with broken links the further back one goes.

Sadie Wiley-Gatewood left here in 2005...Was only here for one full season, and a little of the second season.......Left here because she said she could not play her game here...Transferred to Maryland. Fans here were fairly upset she left.

The most upsetting part, as I recall, was the fact that W-G was starting at the time and we were undefeated and ranked #1 when she left.

What sort of selfish player leaves the top-ranked team in the nation in mid-season simply because "SHE" is not getting the limelight?

Her defection likely cost us a national championship that year.

Didn't Gatewood have an interfering parent problem as well? I could be misremembering but I thought there was an overbearing Dad who figured in.

One big surprise transfer I remember fm back in the day was Teresa Geter who left after her frosh year. Member of one of the greatest recruiting classes ever, 2 Meeks, an Ace and a Tree. Geter played a big role in the 39-0 team and had great promise. I believe Tree was a quiet, gentle girl from a small town in So Carolina who simply could not get over freshman homesickness. Someone help me, where did she play next? So Carolina way pre-Dawn?

During the downtime, the LVs should totally put epic historic games up on the website. Probably have to get 100 licensing permits but would be fun to watch. First one up should be the epic comeback at Vandy in the 98 Regional Final that saved the undefeated season. Geter, the other 3 frosh plus Chamique were on the floor for the golden moments, showing how much confidence Pat had in them. Probably the most fun LV game I've ever attended, definitely the best non UConn game I've ever been at.

Didn't Gatewood have an interfering parent problem as well? I could be misremembering but I thought there was an overbearing Dad who figured in.

I remember that as well.

Re: Geter...she was a big loss, IMO. I'll bet Kellie agrees.

Reactions: glv98
I remember that as well.

Re: Geter...she was a big loss, IMO. I'll bet Kellie agrees.
I believe Michelle Snow came along right after Geter, and then Gwen Jackson. I get teary thinking about such quality post play!! I believe Snow was the first LV to dunk in a game, probably bc she was about 6'6" or something crazy back then.

I'll bet the Fab Four Frosh Kellie was happy to have was Ace Clement, who had her best LV years as a very reliable back up to KJH and like the other frosh, actually picked up crucial mins in major games. It allowed KJH plenty of rest for her gimpy knee without drop off. Then came Kara Lawson and the tears begin again thinking about such quality PG play.

Ah, the good ole days!

Reactions: creekdipper
LOL I guess Jaz won't be going to Texas A & M since Gary Blair said that also. Yeah, why in the world would THIS team need a pg with an almost 3/1, league-leading assist to t.o. PG right? I thought Jaz, with a summer of sharpening scoring mentality, Horston who was just on the cusp of significant improvement, and an eager to play again Zaay would make a terrific backcourt. But cheer up, now we have JH and Rennie, right?
We also have Sugar Rae and Key. Both capable of scoring in double figures. Not bad.

Reactions: Lucy

Early on moreso that later, but yes. There were also significantly fewer transfers back then. Cindy Noble, Cindy Brogdon and Michelle Marciniak were all 1,000-point scorers at UT after transferring in. Patricia Roberts and Jill Rankin were cornerstone's of Summitt's early success after transferring in.

The list of players that left and had success elsewhere is fairly long and happened more on the back end of her career. Alyssia Brewer, Lauren Avant, Sybil Dosty, Faith Dupree, April McDivitt, Sade Wiley-Gatewood, Amber Gray, Nicci Moats, Lindsey Moss, Michelle Munoz, that's a partial list but players people heard of that had success after they left the program.

Pat had her share of transfers. I remember being in shock when SWG transferred out mid season and fans were pretty upset. She did come out and say that she couldn't play "her" game but I don't think she was ever completely healthy in college. McDevitt was another surprise because it was just before her senior year and she was a great asset. Same with Geter but pretty sure most of hers was homesickness. I loved Pat but she wasn't the easiest coach to play for and over the years some players just decided on a different direction.

Pat had her share of transfers. I remember being in shock when SWG transferred out mid season and fans were pretty upset. She did come out and say that she couldn't play "her" game but I don't think she was ever completely healthy in college. McDevitt was another surprise because it was just before her senior year and she was a great asset. Same with Geter but pretty sure most of hers was homesickness. I loved Pat but she wasn't the easiest coach to play for and over the years some players just decided on a different direction.
I can't find a way to research this, but consider how many transfers Pat had in all her years v how many in the last five years

VN Store

Back