Looks like beer at Neyland was a success

Arrests, ejections and other empirically-measurable nuisances may be down, sure, but only one man can gauge the moral degeneration resulting from $12 Michelob Ultras and He is not an analyst at the athletics department.
Wait. Are you trashing selling alcohol at Neyland & assessing blame on Fulmer? 🤦🏼‍♂️ Trumped up Vol? Not even worth it.

I don’t understand the continued outrage over the beer prices. They pour you a 24 oz can, so you’re getting two beers for $12. Is it more than what you’d pay at a grocery store? Yeah, but it’s not out of line with what you pay at concerts, cruise ships, theme parks, festivals, and some bars and restaurants. It’s expensive to drink away from home. The $9 bbq sandwich bothers me more.

That being said, I kind of thought they’d make more from beer sales. Judging by the lines, I don’t think it was a lack of demand

All debating aside, I hate that you didn't get the picture with your daughter.

I think it's hard to say that a couple of dollars above retail would be a fair price. When you consider retail to be a grocery store, gas station, or whatever. You are comparing a storefront that has customers everyday against a stadium that is open for a few hours 7 days out of the year.

And for Me it goes back to a decision. The stadium is part of the free market. You can choose to spend money to go to that stadium. Or you can go to a different game. Or you can watch at home. When I go to a game, it's for the experience. So the cost of water is part of that experience. I buy a new truck, I can't be mad because diesel fuel cost more. That's part of my decision to buy the truck. I could have purchased a smaller truck or even keep current one I have.
@GTBATV Thank you for the bolded part. Of everything on here, this is the first legitimate argument as to why the prices are not comparable to normal retail and not something I had considered.

Last edited:
There are water fountains and large tanks of potable water. You don't have to buy a $6 Dasani.

I’m aware, though the water tanks are new this year. My problem lies with the fact that they don’t provide you a container to put it in AND they don’t let you carry one in. If you want free water you gotta post up at a water fountain until satiated.

I don’t understand the continued outrage over the beer prices. They pour you a 24 oz can, so you’re getting two beers for $12. Is it more than what you’d pay at a grocery store? Yeah, but it’s not out of line with what you pay at concerts, cruise ships, theme parks, festivals, and some bars and restaurants. It’s expensive to drink away from home. The $9 bbq sandwich bothers me more.

That being said, I kind of thought they’d make more from beer sales. Judging by the lines, I don’t think it was a lack of demand

Exactly but a lot of our fanbase isn’t intelligent or reasonable and many have not been to places outside of sevier, cocke, or Shelby counties

I’m aware, though the water tanks are new this year. My problem lies with the fact that they don’t provide you a container to put it in AND they don’t let you carry one in. If you want free water you gotta post up at a water fountain until satiated.
I know, for sure, that in at least one early game they ran out of water. I was stuck buying another $6 bottle for my son.

Arrests, ejections and other empirically-measurable nuisances may be down, sure, but only one man can gauge the moral degeneration resulting from $12 Michelob Ultras and He is not an analyst at the athletics department.

Cmon

Moral degeneration? From drinking alcohol?

Youre talking about a fellow that felt like his followers should be drinking wine instead of water..

Your morality compass may be skewed by your cultural surroundings if you think Jesus is a hypocrite.

So $1 5 million in beer sold which.by my math, gives UT a tidy $1.4 million profit. 🍺.
I was called in to do a repair on one of the concession stands and my on site contact for UT told me when all is said and done they have 11 cents in each beer. How true that is i do not know. But they're making a killing for sure.

I was called in to do a repair on one of the concession stands and my on site contact for UT told me when all is said and done they have 11 cents in each beer. How true that is i do not know. But they're making a killing for sure.

Taverns do better on beer sales, especially draft. It costs less than bottles and cocktails, and is less work for the staff.

The cup probably costs more than the 🍺.

Reactions: Remy
Late to the party. Beer sales might've been a success, but the lines certainly weren't. Vendors take note...see Brigdgestone Arena, copy, paste.

It should be illegal to price gouge at events... Oregon has a written law against it... airports, concerts, football games etc have to sell beer and other merchandise at the same rates as pubs and retail around the area do.

Oregon is NOT the state you want to follow as it relates to 'fairness' legislation. Oregon also allows 'Temper' fees - an extra charge that companies can tag on if you get mad at the price you have to pay. I guess their logic is that if you are mad about paying too much, being forced to pay more will calm you down...

Hmmmm, w beer now available, wondering if anyone attempted to smuggle in some Jim or Jack??

I remember my Freshman year at UT where I'd drink a bit of my Sprite and add in some Jim. Basically, it looked like very weak iced tea.
By the time I was a senior though, I tended to pour out about half my Sprite and with the added Jim, my cup looked more like a Coca Cola.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

Not true - you can bring in empty water containers. Although I have not done this myself, almost everyone that sits around us brings a container for water into every game.

Yeah - that means they sold about 125,000 24 oz beers this year ($1.5m revenue at $12 a pop)? If memory serves, they didn't have it ready yet for the Georgia St game, so that's 125k sold at 7 home games, or almost 18k per home game. That honestly doesn't seem like all that much.

And yes, the lines were awful. Have somebody in the back pre-pouring beers (this isn't a craft beer taphouse with 30 different options) and bring credit card machines next year.

VN Store

Back