Looks like beer at Neyland was a success

LOL, recall all the doom and gloom when this was just being discussed much less implemented?

I heard all the same old tired arguments back in the 60s when communities in Tennessee were finally given the option of selling liquor by the drink. Communities that voted yes have flourished and grew. In the remaining few dry counties, nary an Applebees or Olive Garden or any other national chain non fastfood restaurant can be found. People living in those places travel to the wet counties to shop and have a good time to this very day.

I have noticed that it is a lot cleaner outside the stadium was much cleaner this season. Far fewer beer cans.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
LOL, recall all the doom and gloom when this was just being discussed much less implemented?

I heard all the same old tired arguments back in the 60s when communities in Tennessee were finally given the option of selling liquor by the drink. Communities that voted yes have flourished and grew. In the remaining few dry counties, nary an Applebees or Olive Garden or any other national chain non fastfood restaurant can be found. People living in those places travel to the wet counties to shop and have a good time to this very day.

People travel to those places could move to those places if they wanted to live there. Lol. You're trying too hard to make a point.

Ive supported the sales of alcohol in Neyland, but some of the arguments have been stupid. Lol, like that's surprising.

It should be illegal to price gouge at events... Oregon has a written law against it... airports, concerts, football games etc have to sell beer and other merchandise at the same rates as pubs and retail around the area do.

They lock you from exiting the stadium for four hours, then force you to pay 3 times the value of basic consumable items (not to mention they don't even have a smoking area... which is ridiculous and inconsiderate............ I don't even smoke, but I frequent games with people that do, and some of them act like they're about to die after four hours without a smoke... it doesn't take any effort to gate an area outside the stadium for smokers to do their thing without forfeiting their tickets)

They'd make just as much money with more people willing to participate in concessions and it would create an atmosphere that people aren't feeling like they're being taken advantage of... which would increase ticket sales... more sell-outs... better looks from recruits... all the things better by just setting reasonable prices and setting up reasonable things like a smoking section outside the stadium.

As far as alcohol sales goes... I don't know why it was ever not a thing? Prohibition has been gone for far too long to be concerned about these things at a college campus where tailgating is one of the major selling points... stupid rules are stupid

Crickets from the anti drinkers. Isn’t this exactly what we said?

"We think people may not have had the same urgency to drink outside the stadium since they knew it was available in the stadium," Sigmon said.

Go to every game. Don’t care if you want to drink beer or not but two different idiots spilt their beer on my children. My daughter was in our other seats so I wasn’t there but the other was a lady who spilt it on my son and his friend. I had to show restraint since I was the ride home but it has me rethinking my monetary contributions because you should not have to worry about this. One time may be an aberration but twice is starting a pattern. They probably won’t miss my five figure donation but it wasn’t perfect for at least one family

It should be illegal to price gouge at events... Oregon has a written law against it... airports, concerts, football games etc have to sell beer and other merchandise at the same rates as pubs and retail around the area do.

They lock you from exiting the stadium for four hours, then force you to pay 3 times the value of basic consumable items (not to mention they don't even have a smoking area... which is ridiculous and inconsiderate............ I don't even smoke, but I frequent games with people that do, and some of them act like they're about to die after four hours without a smoke... it doesn't take any effort to gate an area outside the stadium for smokers to do their thing without forfeiting their tickets)

They'd make just as much money with more people willing to participate in concessions and it would create an atmosphere that people aren't feeling like they're being taken advantage of... which would increase ticket sales... more sell-outs... better looks from recruits... all the things better by just setting reasonable prices and setting up reasonable things like a smoking section outside the stadium.

As far as alcohol sales goes... I don't know why it was ever not a thing? Prohibition has been gone for far too long to be concerned about these things at a college campus where tailgating is one of the major selling points... stupid rules are stupid

Not sure I would consider it a price gouge. No one is required to buy anything at a game. No one is required to buy tickets and go to the game. But if they choose to, then they have to play by stadium rules.

-price gouging is a myth

- I've never been forced to buy anything at a UT game

- if someone can't make it 3-4 hours without a cancer stick then they're a loser imo

I'm not against selling beer in Neyland but my only experience this year was 5 drunk, vulgar young adults sitting in front of my family. One passed out during the game and all were gone by halftime. Sure that happened before beer sales but they we're definitely contributing to the sales. Would anyone ever be cut off in Neyland?

Not sure I would consider it a price gouge. No one is required to buy anything at a game. No one is required to buy tickets and go to the game. But if they choose to, then they have to play by stadium rules.

"Price gouging is a term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent. Usually this event occurs after a demand or supply shock."

Demand or supply shock... like locking 100,000 people in a stadium for 4 hours... it's the exact definition of price gouging...

.... And "No one is required to buy tickets to go to the game" is an absolutely ridiculous stance to take on this issue... there's no reason the University can't set concessions to prices that aren't blatantly ripping off the fans that support them

"Price gouging is a term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent. Usually this event occurs after a demand or supply shock."

Demand or supply shock... like locking 100,000 people in a stadium for 4 hours... it's the exact definition of price gouging...

.... And "No one is required to buy tickets to go to the game" is an absolutely ridiculous stance to take on this issue... there's no reason the University can't set concessions to prices that aren't blatantly ripping off the fans that support them

I took my family to four games this year. I don't remember the gates being locked at any of them. In fact, I know we left early at one of them.

VN Store

Back