Like him or not, Kiffin is spot on…

I hate the current state of CFB. The transfer portal, Saban's no-end-in-sight dominance, a 2 game playoff along with meaningless bowl games, and continuous conference realignment. It's like the inmates are running the asylum.

Bowl games are only meaningless to fans.

The bowl games have lost their luster and are less significant for a couple of reasons:
1. The eyes of the CFB world are focused on the Playoff;
2. College players opting out of bowl games to prepare for the draft impact the bowl. Often its the team's best player(s) not playing.

This is only for fans. What do you think our team, staff and many others who have made a bowl feel about them?

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Yeah there really isn't any easy road here on out for the schools. Every decision made and they run into other bigger issues. The NLRB recently released a memo basically saying college players would be considered "employees" going forward. To me those types of decisions should be on an individual situational basis. There is also lawsuits going on as to reclassify players as employees. (not my favorite way of handling it)

College Athletes Employees NCAA case Johnson v. NCAA FLSA – Sportico.com

NLRB memo says college athletes are employees — not "student athletes"— and deserve benefits, pay - CBS News
Reading the quotes from that NLRB memo has got to be pretty chilling for the NCAA and schools.

I just wish the school admins, NCAA, NFL, NBA, and media companies would get it together and move on to the next era. I assume there's discussions and "contingency plans" if the courts and NLRB tell the NCAA it's over for the "student athlete" model.

Somewhere sports attorneys and employment attorneys are literally salivating about the fees they're about to rack up.

This is only for fans. What do you think our team, staff and many others who have made a bowl feel about them?

I am sure our players would rather be playing in a game of significance instead of a game that we will all have to google in about 3 - 5 years to recall. Our coaches will tell you they love it for the extra two weeks of practice. Once college players started the trend of opting out of bowl games, it spoke volumes on what these kids think of these games.

Reactions: hog88
You are gonna see what you have always seen just at a much higher rate. The Bamas, UGAs, Clemsons, Texas and OSUs will become even more potent while most other schools will fall further away. I can see TN falling way behind in everything. So all of this does not help all schools. It just helps the big powerhouse programs.

agree. Just to take it a little further, it is time to start a super conference or super college division with the 3 or 4 strongest conference divisions in it.

Maybe a 24 team super league, have their own super bowl.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
The College football that we knew and grew up with and loved will be destroyed soon
It's killing the high school recruiting right now ....a HS kid that shines on his level or a sophomore or junior that's been plenty good on the college level and been in the training 2 or 3 yrs ..which do you go with

Reactions: sunnyvol79
He is absolutely correct and when the bugs are worked out of these new NIL programs, I think we will see a big gap between the programs that embraced it and invested , and the ones that were dragging their feet . I just hope that we are going to be in that first group in the next year or two when it’s up and running full speed .
This comment is 100% accurate!

You are gonna see what you have always seen just at a much higher rate. The Bamas, UGAs, Clemsons, Texas and OSUs will become even more potent while most other schools will fall further away.
Add A&M. Collectively, they probably have the richest alumni in college football. After Saban retires, A&M will rule the SEC.

I truly don’t understand why UT fans think we can’t compete at the top this new game… Tennessee is a massive school, has noted billionaire families that pump $ into football and a massive group of boosters/donors, and is a blue-blood national brand. Has the administration proven itself to be unbelievably horrible time and time again?, well yes… but UT can throw around some money. Kiffin’s comments about this in the press is him venting about Ole Miss not having these kind of resources

I truly don’t understand why UT fans think we can’t compete at the top this new game… Tennessee is a massive school, has noted billionaire families that pump $ into football and a massive group of boosters/donors, and is a blue-blood national brand. Has the administration proven itself to be unbelievably horrible time and time again?, well yes… but UT can throw around some money. Kiffin’s comments about this in the press is him venting about Ole Miss not having these kind of resources
A quick Google of billionaire alumni shows USC in the top ten.

Maybe Lincoln Riley isn't a coward but a shrewd SOB? I think he's a little of both.

A quick Google of billionaire alumni shows USC in the top ten.

Maybe Lincoln Riley isn't a coward but a shrewd SOB? I think he's a little of both.
I think Lincoln will be just fine out there, but make no mistake.. College football means nothing to those west coast Hollywood billionaires. Yes, USC will have money to play with, but each school can have 22 starters a piece and with the portal being the way it is. We’ll have plenty guys we can buy out of high school or buy out of the portal. I think the program to keep an eye on going forward in this big $ game is Arkansas. The amount of money up there is just wild. Between Walmart (waltons), tysons, jerry Jones, jb hunts… that place is flush

I think Lincoln will be just fine out there, but make no mistake.. College football means nothing to those west coast Hollywood billionaires. Yes, USC will have money to play with, but each school can have 22 starters a piece and with the portal being the way it is. We’ll have plenty guys we can buy out of high school or buy out of the portal. I think the program to keep an eye on going forward in this big $ game is Arkansas. The amount of money up there is just wild. Between Walmart (waltons), tysons, jerry Jones, jb hunts… that place is flush
Billionaires doesn't mean anything, for sure, because the Harvard, Penn, etc rich guys.... like the Vandy rich guys..... give donations to fund a freaking cancer wing or something. I don't understand why they don't understand the value of football....... 😳

And Cali is Cali. You'll have plenty of rich donors but why fund football when you can finance films and hobnob with starlets.

The bowl games have lost their luster and are less significant for a couple of reasons:
1. The eyes of the CFB world are focused on the Playoff;
2. College players opting out of bowl games to prepare for the draft impact the bowl. Often its the team's best player(s) not playing.
Then by all means let's do away with everything except the Alabama bowls.

I can't wit to watch the big orange I the meaningless bowl game they earned. The ones i don't give a **** about are over hyped "championship games" where 2 of the 4 participants were determined in July. Georgia does not belong.

I can't wit to watch the big orange I the meaningless bowl game they earned. The ones i don't give a **** about are over hyped "championship games" where 2 of the 4 participants were determined in July. Georgia does not belong.
If Georgia doesn’t belong in the playoff, who should be in their place? There’s really no one that you can make an argument for.

If Georgia doesn’t belong in the playoff, who should be in their place? There’s really no one that you can make an argument for.
Baylor played and beat better teams. Who did Georgia beat? Kentucky ?

Besides, if Baylor or even Utah were in it, it would be more of a true championship. In case you don't remember, Georgia didn't win the SEC. All this crap is is about the money.

Go Michigan

Reactions: igotworms

Besides, if Baylor or even Utah were in it, it would be more of a true championship. In case you don't remember, Georgia didn't win the SEC. All this crap is is about the money.
Baylor lost two games, including one to a 5-7 TCU. They have no argument to be in the playoffs over Georgia. If OK state had won the B12 title game, then I’d listen to that argument. And who cares that UGA didn’t win the SEC. Conference championships are not a prerequisite for making the playoffs. And Utah???? Seriously???? A three loss team?

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
In a previous post when this got started paying players I said it would ruin college football as we know it and it looks like it’s started. Big money teams will rule the championships and apathy will creep across the fans who loved college football. (Reference NASCAR) The bright side for me is I got to witness 40 years of great rivalries and excellent football with players who actually loved their school win or lose. Thanks ESPN for ruining a great American past time.

Go Michigan
Baylor? Are you joking? Michigan is going to get destroyed by Georgia.

The College football that we knew and grew up with and loved will be destroyed soon

All the recruits were already going to the same 5 or 6 schools anyway. This is NOT what will destroy college football. If anything, it could help get more programs in the door for recruits. Bama can't pay every 5 star 6 figures.

VN Store

Back