Let's talk about Jalen Hurd - Eddie George is.

The two big runs were great, but he was actually a touch slower than I thought he was. That DB ran him down like he was walking.

The DB had the angle on him and the DB probably has 4.4 speed. Butch has already said Hurd is one of the fastest players on the team. He has great speed.

Why no toss sweeps ? Can't the line pull and seal the end? To me it looks like a natural play for Hurd .

Agree. We literally don't seem to have that play in the play book. Of course, typically a toss sweep from an I formation. Not sure what the answer is given the offense we run.

Angle of pursuit got him.

Even a 10-15 degree of angle gives a speedy CB or S the edge running downhill.

Please do not bring in math and physics to this discussion. It's like wearing khakis and a button down into a Biker bar - guarantee of impending trouble.:hi:

Please do not bring in math and physics to this discussion. It's like wearing khakis and a button down into a Biker bar - guarantee of impending trouble.:hi:

It's all about math and physics bro...and if you don't think they talk about that during film breakdown, then you don't know football. Lol

Patience. This kid is going to end up being a phenomenal player for us. Just wait and see.

Patience. This kid is going to end up being a phenomenal player for us. Just wait and see.

Is patience necessary after last night? I can't imagine anybody being impatient with a true freshman having just played his third college football game - after having sat out his senior year of high school - putting up 121 total yards against the Sooners in Oklahoma.

Reactions: 2 people
Is patience necessary after last night? I can't imagine anybody being impatient with a true freshman having just played his third college football game - after having sat out his senior year of high school - putting up 121 total yards against the Sooners in Oklahoma.
This kid has already hurt 2 middle linebackers that met him in the hole on inside running plays. Just give him another year in the SC program and look out.

Reactions: 2 people
He pass blocks like a seasoned vet.

I don't think I have ever said to myself or to others around me "damn that was a hell of a block". He really is great at blocking and great in the open field. I just wish we could get him in the open field more often.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Is it tru that he was 235; but the coaching staff wanted his to trim 10lbs and now hes around 225? I seem to remember hearing on radio or reading in star news Hville.

A lot of people see a kid running and look at his legs when estimating how fast he is. Little guys like Pig Howard look like they're so much faster because they have shorter strides.

Jalen Hurd's 6'3" behemoth of a running-back frame still looked damn fast. Just think about it.

Kid has the best game of his young career against arguably the best team he's going to face all year, and it's on the road and these idiots complain.

But you can't fix stupid around here.

As you prove here. Nobody complained. I'm a big fan of Jalen and expect huge things from him. Somebody said he was faster than they expected, I said he looked a bit slower (in the open field) than I expected. Hit the hole great, broke it outside nicely. Looked like he had his stride. I thought he might be chased down 20 more yards up the field. (Incidentally, on the other longer run, he delivered I nice blow at the end.)

Possible that the outside cut slowed him enough. Somebody said, "Angles," which aren't for running somebody down, but cutting somebody off, i.e. making sure they don't dash by you. Even with the angle, I expected to see Jalen 20 yards up the field before the guy caught him. The other variable is: Oklahoma is fast and the guy who ran him down appeared to be one of their faster guys.

This kid is a freakin BEAST!! After watching his two big runs last night, he reminds me so much of Eddie George. He has super star written all over him.

Wow!!! Much faster than I thought he was.

No no no... He is way too tall

As you prove here. Nobody complained. I'm a big fan of Jalen and expect huge things from him. Somebody said he was faster than they expected, I said he looked a bit slower (in the open field) than I expected. Hit the hole great, broke it outside nicely. Looked like he had his stride. I thought he might be chased down 20 more yards up the field. (Incidentally, on the other longer run, he delivered I nice blow at the end.)

Possible that the outside cut slowed him enough. Somebody said, "Angles," which aren't for running somebody down, but cutting somebody off, i.e. making sure they don't dash by you. Even with the angle, I expected to see Jalen 20 yards up the field before the guy caught him. The other variable is: Oklahoma is fast and the guy who ran him down appeared to be one of their faster guys.

You're missing another variable too. One of our receivers (don't know who) missed a block that would have led to a Hurd TD on that long run. Butch talked about it in his post-game presser. I'll have to go watch the video of the run again.

This kid is a freakin BEAST!! After watching his two big runs last night, he reminds me so much of Eddie George. He has super star written all over him.

Wow!!! Much faster than I thought he was.
The kid has great speed for a 6'3" 235lb football player but not great break away speed for a running back. I like his attitude and energy but I think he should be used more as a hybrid (RB/WR/H back) and develop one of the more traditional backs for this offense. I'm sure he stays at RB and I hope he does well.

The kid has great speed for a 6'3" 235lb football player but not great break away speed for a running back. I like his attitude and energy but I think he should be used more as a hybrid (RB/WR/H back) and develop one of the more traditional backs for this offense. I'm sure he stays at RB and I hope he does well.

You're going to do real well on here. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
We will need him and Wolf bigtime in the early part of next season, until Dormandy gets settled in at Q>B.

Good running game and a good short pass offense with the tight ends will work for three or four weeks until Dormandy can be let loose to pass more.

Dormancy won't get up to speed until about his Jr year.

VN Store

Back