Les Miles thread (merged)

Did he? The passing game at LSU was pretty bad his last 4 plus seasons. Their defense kept them in most games.

That goes back to what I was saying about LSU for whatever reason has lacked that ability to draw in quarterbacks that you need to win in this league. Even Nick Saben had problems at qb in his time at LSU

Tennessee has location and has rarely struggled at getting those types of quarterbacks

Reactions: 1 person
I think Gruden and Kelly should be our top 2 targets. After that I’m fine with Les

I'm fine with Kelly or Miles

Gruden concerns me. LONG time out of coaching and worry about him learning how to recruit. He is a TV figure for years now that's not had to sell himself. ESPN does it for him.

The only reason majority of people don't want him is because of his history on offense in the last few years.

That has to change and he knows that. That is the only way he gets another big job.

If we were to hire him, we would have to be willing to break the bank for him to hire a talented OC. If we did that, I would be down for Les right away.

I would be happy with Les and I think we could have him.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm fine with Kelly or Miles

Gruden concerns me. LONG time out of coaching and worry about him learning how to recruit. He is a TV figure for years now that's not had to sell himself. ESPN does it for him.

He’s obviously kept up with modern changes in football though. Does his own QB camp and announces MNF. Recruiting wouldn’t be an issue for someone like him especially with good assistants. If reports are true that he wants to coach again and he’s alright with a college gig I think he’d absolutely be a slam dunk

I think Miles is a brilliant idea. Let's bring in a 63 year old head coach so we can go through another search in 3 or 4 years. smh

He’s obviously kept up with modern changes in football though. Does his own QB camp and announces MNF. Recruiting wouldn’t be an issue for someone like him especially with good assistants. If reports are true that he wants to coach again and he’s alright with a college gig I think he’d absolutely be a slam dunk

Don't get me wrong I'd be happy with Gruden. Who wouldn't? Just looking at it as a risk

Been out of coaching for a while. Living the life easy gigs great $ not having to beg 16-18year olds into challenging Alabama. And having to listen to fans whine when it don't happen and call for him to change something.

Just saying all football has changed and pressure to win is greater in the SEC now than when he was coaching in the NFL

Last edited:
How about we don't look at coaches who have already been fired for failing to beat our biggest rival?

uhhh he beat Bama and has been the only coach to consistently hanging with Bama every year for his last five years AND beat florida. Who are you referring to that he has not beaten in the SEC at least twice that we play???

uhhh he beat Bama and has been the only coach to consistently hanging with Bama every year for his last five years AND beat florida. Who are you referring to that he has not beaten in the SEC at least twice that we play???

Yep. He was 3-7 vs Saban. 3 OT games. 4 of those losses were by less than 10 points. Not a great record but competing against Saban and giving yourself a chance to win in almost every single game every year is big. Les was also 3-3 vs Urban Meyer when he was at Florida. Les has proven he can hang with the big boys

Reactions: 3 people
Don't get me wrong I'd be happy with Gruden. Who wouldn't? Just looking at it as a risk

Been out of coaching for a while. Living the life easy gigs great $ not having to beg 16-18year olds into challenging Alabama. And having to listen to fans whine when it don't happen and call for him to change something.

Just saying all football has changed and pressure to win is greater in the SEC now than when he was coaching in the NFL
True. It would be somewhat of a risk, but I think it’s a rish worth taking for Tennessee right now

Would be best fit at Tennessee.

1. Great recruiter
2. Had best teams in league behind Alabama for years in a dominating West division
3. Can get his missing piece with Tennessee's abilities to recruit quarterbacks.
4. Knows the SEC landscape and the relationships with high school coaches in the region
5. Would now have his team in the East division

6. We would get to see what John Kelly, ty chandler COULD actually do!!!

1. Overrated recruiter. Recruiting dropped off significantly after some of his top assistants left, see Frank Wilson and Chavis' departure. He was considered a great recruiter because he helped bring in lots of the top talent in LA for years - most of which was when TCU, Houston, UT, & A&M were down. Once those teams started trending up, along with OU/OKST, Miles' recruiting was no longer 'great'.

2. Yes but Auburn closed that gap easily in the last 10 years.

3. What does this even mean??? Notoriously bad QB recruiter is going to mysteriously get his "missing piece" now that he's at TN? Because of OUR history with recruiting QBs??? what

4. Knows LA/Texas pretty well. Is a well known name because he was the HC at LSU for 10 years. He's washed up and plenty of recruits, HS coaches know this.

5. Uh... now you're just listing things that aren't even relevant to his abilities as a HC.

6. Again, okay, I see what you're saying...but is it worth is bringing in a washed up coach? Hell to the no. We're already the laughing stock of the SECE. Let's not continue that trend.

Last edited:
There is one coach in the last 10 years that has been able to step on the field consistently with the best team & coach in modern football history in Saben & Alabama.

That coach is now available and Tennessee has the worst coach in Tennessee history. (Dooley beat Butch) who is about to get fired.

How to some of you is this a bad idea to bring in the PROVEN second best coach in the SEC in the last 10 years.

Versus bringing in a coach that hasn't coached football in 6+ years now or ANOTHER guy that will have to see if he CAN coach in this league.

This thread just shows that some people just want a name that they do not have to Google and not look at the coach.

1. Louisiana is a talent-rich state. Miles did not have to recruit. Those kids just want to go to LSU.

2. Miles was horrible at clock management.

3. Miles could not take his hands off of the offense and was controlling. And his offenses sucked.

4. Miles could not have anyone on his staff who could develop a QB

5. Miles got fired for his unwillingness to change, adapt.

6. Miles, like Fulmer, found zero suitors to hire him after his termination....if he can't find anyone to hire him, why should we be the ones to take a chance?

There is a reason for all of this, he has similarities with Butch and similarities with Fulmer. One which was fired, the other getting ready to.

I will not renew my donation/season tickets if we go down the re-tread aisle at Walmart.

One positive about Miles would be the stability and physicality he would surely bring. We have been soft for years, and the program could use a good solid, fundamentals kind of coach and LESS GIMMICKS. Again, not my first choice (Venables, Kelly), but compared to Dooley's or Butch's hire it would be a slam dunk. No one would have to google the guy who has been at the head of one of the best programs in the country for the last decade.

This thread just shows that some people just want a name that they do not have to Google and not look at the coach.

1. Louisiana is a talent-rich state. Miles did not have to recruit. Those kids just want to go to LSU.

2. Miles was horrible at clock management.

3. Miles could not take his hands off of the offense and was controlling. And his offenses sucked.

4. Miles could not have anyone on his staff who could develop a QB

5. Miles got fired for his unwillingness to change, adapt.

6. Miles, like Fulmer, found zero suitors to hire him after his termination....if he can't find anyone to hire him, why should we be the ones to take a chance?

There is a reason for all of this, he has similarities with Butch and similarities with Fulmer. One which was fired, the other getting ready to.

I will not renew my donation/season tickets if we go down the re-tread aisle at Walmart.

I understand but time to look at reality. A proven retread is what this program needs...

I know we all have Tennessee pride but self awareness is a great tool to have.

Tennessee has not been revelant as a proven winner year in and out in 19 years.

That's longer than the players whoever is the coach is has to talk into coming to play at Tennessee have been ALIVE!!!!

Self awareness, let's get someone that can win 10 games a year for NOW become a household name again not a punchline.

Can't gamble this hire or Tennessee will be recruiting kids that their PARENTS haven't seen Tennessee be successful year in and out.

Les Miles has been and will be my choice, if i were given one, if they make a change soon. I'd bump Butch now, if I were given the call, and bring Les in now to finish the season, and formulate his staff after.

If the standard is "better than Butch" then bring him on over. Heck, my dog Walter is a candidate too, it that is the criteria. If we want to beat Bama and win championships, we'd better look elsewhere.

Les Miles has beaten Saban.

Nobody beats Saban led Alabama consistently.

Les Miles would be a great hire 👍👍👍

There is one coach in the last 10 years that has been able to step on the field consistently with the best team & coach in modern football history in Saben & Alabama.

That coach is now available and Tennessee has the worst coach in Tennessee history. (Dooley beat Butch) who is about to get fired.

How to some of you is this a bad idea to bring in the PROVEN second best coach in the SEC in the last 10 years.

Versus bringing in a coach that hasn't coached football in 6+ years now or ANOTHER guy that will have to see if he CAN coach in this league.

Miles success came before all his top assistant left and before all the surrounding universities started winning more games and recruiting better. Give him an elite staff and he can win games, but I don't see UTAD going that route.

Only chance I could see Miles coming to Kville is if Chavis came with him. Which probably isnt happening.

VN Store

Back