Lee Sterling Theory

JG is an embarassment to the SEC and is hurting our sport. Expect millions of children to stop playing football because of him.

People (including Pruitt) keep bringing up that theory, but there have been all kinds of QBs who played as Freshmen who ended up great: both Manning boys (Peyton and Eli), Clausen, Jake Fromm, Phillip Rivers, Landry Jones, Tyler Bray, Jameis Winston, Trevor Lawrence, Jalen Hurts, etc, etc, etc. So I don't really buy it.

JG plays worse now than he did in 2018 when he was constantly under assault. And it doesn't explain why he's so slow on reads; if anything, he should be panicking and moving too quickly if that theory held water.
Totally agree. He has digressed. I honestly think it’s always been in his head. He has zero pocket presence, and cant read thru his progressions passed option 2. It shows when he panics and cant even hit the checkdown or just takes a sack. So it tells me he isnt looking downfield but right in front of him.

Reactions: gtin723
First half JG, minus the Kentucky game, I could believe. He's had some solid first halves. Second half JG...nope. He's directly responsible for there being no real passing threat in the second half...other than the UGA game where the o-line deserves some blame since they couldn't block anyone.

Can't understand the 2nd half, are the adjustments by the opposing defense so complicated that JG just loses all thought? Can we not help jg out the 2nd half.

Pruitt continues to believe that his Nick Saban defense will win. It did for him, it has to work.
It works, when you have five star defenders, backed up by more five star defenders, backed up by 4 star defenders, and an NFL O-line, and 3 NFL running backs.

Serious question without starting a poll: Do people really believe that anyone other than JG gives us the best chance to win now? Forget about the future for a second. Can HB or anyone else give us a better chance to win right now? I'm not trying to defend JG at all; I'm just curious what others think.

Serious question without starting a poll: Do people really believe that anyone other than JG gives us the best chance to win now? Forget about the future for a second. Can HB or anyone else give us a better chance to win right now? I'm not trying to defend JG at all; I'm just curious what others think.
Yes.
HB would at least try to chase down a defender on an interception.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
Football handicapper Lee Sterling was on the Sports Monster here in the Tri-cities yesterday and offered an interesting but somewhat confusing theory as to why JP is continuing to trot out JG every game. Like I said I am having a hard time understanding this myself and don't shoot the messenger i'm just passing this along. Anyway, he said that Pruitt is getting pressure from the higher ups to win and win now. As has been stated on here ad nauseam Pruitt truly believes that JG gives us our best chance to win and is throwing him out there trying to save his job.
And this explains the defensive collapse how?

If Pruitt thinks that JG is the best chance to win, why does it matter that he is doing it to win games and save his job?

Yes.
HB would at least try to chase down a defender on an interception.
Yeah if you throw an int you better be running your tail off to catch him. I seen that replay against Auburn and im like id bench him just for that.

Would that assumption alone give us a better chance to win?
That was a little tongue in cheek.
I do think that HB sees the field better and moves in the pocket better than JG.
I think that he and/or Salter are our future. JG needs to be our past.

It works, when you have five star defenders, backed up by more five star defenders, backed up by 4 star defenders, and an NFL O-line, and 3 NFL running backs.

Well, it does in a sense. It's allowed to work because Nick figured out long ago, adapt and overcome. He's modified his defensive philosophy a bit and his offensive one a great deal. The game, rules and all, are slanted towards scoring and excitement. Dabo switched to Trevor to improve his teams offensive production, not because Bryant was losing. Pruitt unfortunately isn't capable of grasping these concepts. Unless Nick calls up and tells him what to do, I don't believe he really knows. Couple that with his bosses mentality of we'll just work like heck until it fixes itself. I believe we're stuck in the mud with racing slicks for tires.

Reactions: kbear01
I believe that Bailey, and Maurer are both better quarterbacks than Guarantano. In my opinion if either had been given the reigns to start the season we would atleast be 4-3 instead of 2-5. D-1 quarterbacks who score more for the opposing teams than their own usually have a very short shelf life, but for whatever reason Pruitt refuses to replace Guarantano. A good analogy would be jumping out of a boat and sinking to the bottom of a lake while holding onto an anchor. The anchor is dragging Pruitt down, but he just grabs ahold of it tighter and continues to sink.

Reactions: Vfl2407
Can't understand the 2nd half, are the adjustments by the opposing defense so complicated that JG just loses all thought? Can we not help jg out the 2nd half.
Im not sure Chaney can figure out the adjustments that need to be made. JG cripples Chaney's ability to call a game the way he wants to but ive seen Chaney get killed in 2nd half of games many many times before. Even when we had an offense when Dooley was here Chaney would struggle in 2nd halfs.

Last edited:
Pruitt can’t make good decisions about offense. He coaches everything like a defensive guy. Keeps playing conservative and preaching just don’t turn the ball over.

It’s pretty damn obvious the coaching staff thinks JG is the best chance to win. Who the hell knows whether that is true or not. But it’s ride or die. And Pruitt is on the highway to hell

I truly get your point but I am now in the mode of If we are going to lose anyway at least lets lose with a purpose, i.e. get some experience for our next and likely best option at QB.

My theory is that Pruitt just isn’t a good coach and is defensive minded. Wants a conservative and grind it out type game plan. He feels JG will have less mistakes in that plan. Kiffin at Ole Miss went exactly the opposite direction which is where the game is going now.

Football handicapper Lee Sterling was on the Sports Monster here in the Tri-cities yesterday and offered an interesting but somewhat confusing theory as to why JP is continuing to trot out JG every game. Like I said I am having a hard time understanding this myself and don't shoot the messenger i'm just passing this along. Anyway, he said that Pruitt is getting pressure from the higher ups to win and win now. As has been stated on here ad nauseam Pruitt truly believes that JG gives us our best chance to win and is throwing him out there trying to save his job.

unfortunately no other QB has been impressive enough to supplant JG
HB may be our best option, but he’s got to improve greatly

With all due respect to you El Vez . . . that theory is insanity wrapped in a severe case of stupid! If the boosters were pressuring CJP to win and win now, why in hell would he trot JG out onto the field after the Gawga disaster? Why would he send JG back out onto the field after the Aubum pick-6? If you ask yourself these questions from the Mizzou game on you would find that either Lee Sterling is clueless or CJP is clueless . . . well both are probably true.

GBO - Bench JG and beat Vandy

Austin price said he really believed this week was bailey show finally

Honestly guys, JG just might be our best QB right now. Nobody else is any good except for HB who is too green for Pruitt to trust. That said, if our QB room is this bad, the fault is still on the coaches. Not a single QB on our roster has been developed. That's bad coaching.

CJP doesn't trust the younger QB's

He seemingly has a conservative mindset for offense and wants a strong D

However, at this point CJP is in short circuit mode and doesn't understand what is happening. He needs a mentor to step in...

Reactions: mpfvol
I think HB can throw 100 yd pick sixes, as good as JG, anyday. :p

VN Store

Back