Lee Sterling Theory

Honestly guys, JG just might be our best QB right now. Nobody else is any good except for HB who is too green for Pruitt to trust. That said, if our QB room is this bad, the fault is still on the coaches. Not a single QB on our roster has been developed. That's bad coaching.
Funny how other SEC schools can start freshmen and they light it up and look like world beaters. But we can't trust a freshman, I'm not buying it.

My theory is that JG has dirt on CJP or the staff and they are giving him this one last year before moving on from him. I have nothing to substantiate it. Its just a theory.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
QB's don't have to be sacken 1500 times to understand that they have to get the ball OUT quickly, hold it too long and you will be getting crushed by a freight train. JG never learn this basic skill and this is one reason he has been a punching bag for 5 yrs.

The other reason he gets hit so much is that he doesn't move well in the pocket at all. No bob and weave for him, he just curls up and takes a sack, or trys to run away and anyone can catch him in 2 seconds. Just painful to watch him struggle with something so natural for other QBs. I don't believe I have ever seen him sidestep a rushing defender, ever.

Reactions: djohnnyg
JG had all game to do something.... ANYTHING and the only td he got was to the other team. Then Bailey...the guy who gives them the lesser chance to win...comes in and immediately leads team on a touchdown drive. WHAT MORE DOES ANYONE NEED TO SEE? It's a "fluke"? You saw JGs face on the sideline looking ticked off. "Why can't I do that?" "It's a conspiracy against me." Who knows...but Bailey didn't even play that great on the drive...and STILL there we are in the endzone. Who woulda thunk it?

Football handicapper Lee Sterling was on the Sports Monster here in the Tri-cities yesterday and offered an interesting but somewhat confusing theory as to why JP is continuing to trot out JG every game. Like I said I am having a hard time understanding this myself and don't shoot the messenger i'm just passing this along. Anyway, he said that Pruitt is getting pressure from the higher ups to win and win now. As has been stated on here ad nauseam Pruitt truly believes that JG gives us our best chance to win and is throwing him out there trying to save his job.
But JG doesn’t give us the best chance to win. If he had given reps to HB in games one thru five , HB would be up to speed for the last two games.

Pruitt already said why he wasn’t playing HB. I think it was after Arkansas he said he thought the reason JG had so many issues is because he played too early and it messed up his confidence.

Ftr, I don’t necessarily agree because our OL is better now than it was in 2017. I will see if I can find the link.

People (including Pruitt) keep bringing up that theory, but there have been all kinds of QBs who played as Freshmen who ended up great: both Manning boys (Peyton and Eli), Clausen, Jake Fromm, Phillip Rivers, Landry Jones, Tyler Bray, Jameis Winston, Trevor Lawrence, Jalen Hurts, etc, etc, etc. So I don't really buy it.

JG plays worse now than he did in 2018 when he was constantly under assault. And it doesn't explain why he's so slow on reads; if anything, he should be panicking and moving too quickly if that theory held water.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
Honestly guys, JG just might be our best QB right now. Nobody else is any good except for HB who is too green for Pruitt to trust. That said, if our QB room is this bad, the fault is still on the coaches. Not a single QB on our roster has been developed. That's bad coaching.

It’s mind-boggling that we don’t have a (semi-prepared) clear cut, 2nd string QB. Considering all the hits JG has taken, combined with this Covid-19 season, why would you not have prepared a true back up. Both JT and BM are in their 2nd with Chaney.

Football handicapper Lee Sterling was on the Sports Monster here in the Tri-cities yesterday and offered an interesting but somewhat confusing theory as to why JP is continuing to trot out JG every game. Like I said I am having a hard time understanding this myself and don't shoot the messenger i'm just passing this along. Anyway, he said that Pruitt is getting pressure from the higher ups to win and win now. As has been stated on here ad nauseam Pruitt truly believes that JG gives us our best chance to win and is throwing him out there trying to save his job.
JG will end up costing him his job. Not a smart coach.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Funny how other SEC schools can start freshmen and they light it up and look like world beaters. But we can't trust a freshman, I'm not buying it.

Bailey will out perform jg now, he should have started the first game of the year. Should have been in the film room and on zoom calls with coaches learning the offense. And he would have been ready for the `1st game of the season. No reason to continue playing jg, unless you want to lose. I just wonder if jg has something he knows that would severely damage ut and Pruitt afraid he will spill the beans if he benching him permanent . If that is the case jg will tell it all later.

Reactions: gtin723
Onevol74’s theory is he is trying to get that $12mil buyout and taking a towel boy position in the rest rooms at Bryant-Denny Stadium. The car wash and coffee boy position is already filled.

Reactions: mpfvol
Even if Pruitt was right and JG was the best QB in the SEC, what was Pruitts going to do if he was injured and lost for the season, or even a game or two?

He had no QB ready to go and he refused to give them any playing time even in the games we were getting blown out. Taking a few snaps and getting yanked on first interception is not how to develop a backup QB.

Pruitt just acts like he is over his head here as Head Coach. No contingency plans, no player development, just flying by the seat of his pants, learning along the way I suppose.

It's going to be interesting around here when JP finally trots out a backup for an entire game. After we get totally waxed again or lose to VU, the board is going to be priceless.

Even if Pruitt was right and JG was the best QB in the SEC, what was Pruitts going to do if he was injured and lost for the season, or even a game or two?

He had no QB ready to go and he refused to give them any playing time even in the games we were getting blown out. Taking a few snaps and getting yanked on first interception is not how to develop a backup QB.

Pruitt just acts like he is over his head here as Head Coach. No contingency plans, no player development, just flying by the seat of his pants, learning along the way I suppose.

WWAAYYYYY over his head. He has no clue how to run this program.

I 100% agree with you.

So the question becomes what happens if JG does come back and gets benched, or doesn't come back next year and we have play someone else (presumably Bailey)? If they haven't developed a single quarterback on the roster, the results are probably going to be worse since we have nobody else that has taken a meaningful snap.

Not sure if he has noticed or not......but his strategy isn’t working.

You sure he ain’t getting pressured to lose now? If so then he is succeeding.....big time.

I 100% agree with you.

So the question becomes what happens if JG does come back and gets benched, or doesn't come back next year and we have play someone else (presumably Bailey)? If they haven't developed a single quarterback on the roster, the results are probably going to be worse since we have nobody else that has taken a meaningful snap.

I don’t see HB sitting the bench next year. He will progress at least some just with more practice.

VN Store

Back