Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Opinion | Vaccination by Age Is the Way to Go

still makes me wonder why we didn’t start with the most likely to become sick and need medical care and potentially die. We’re vaccinating a population with a 1:100,000 chance of death instead of the population 150x more likely to die.

It is literally insane but consistent. The product of illogical governance.

still makes me wonder why we didn’t start with the most likely to become sick and need medical care and potentially die. We’re vaccinating a population with a 1:100,000 chance of death instead of the population 150x more likely to die.
Actually i heard an expert describe the most effective way but admitted it would never happen. First is front line workers and the next step should be those who are in contact with the most people. That would be your soccer mom with kids in school, sports, etc. If would cut the transmission rate more than using it for locked away grandma. Definitely not the most emotional way to distribute but could be more effective

Actually i heard an expert describe the most effective way but admitted it would never happen. First is front line workers and the next step should be those who are in contact with the most people. That would be your soccer mom with kids in school, sports, etc. If would cut the transmission rate more than using it for locked away grandma. Definitely not the most emotional way to distribute but could be more effective

I can see that as well if not for limited doses and the vaccine’s logistical issues. But the two companies had produced enough doses to have given literally every person over 75 both shots by now. And considering that population consists of nearly 50% of deaths and over 50% of hospitalizations, the rest of us could then take our sweet time getting it while significantly reducing hospitalizations and deaths.

I can see that as well if not for limited doses and the vaccine’s logistical issues. But the two companies had produced enough doses to have given literally every person over 75 both shots by now. And considering that population consists of nearly 50% of deaths and over 50% of hospitalizations, the rest of us could then take our sweet time getting it while significantly reducing hospitalizations and deaths.

65 and over account for 80 to 85% of deaths. This thing is nothing if you get the older population vaccinated.

Is that the goal or is the goal to reduce the spread enough to open up the freaking country so we don't have an economic collapse? Look, I'm all for saving grandma but not at the expense of my family and years of recession.

There must be a defined goal in place if this is ever going to end. Complete lack of leadership across the board that there are no defined benchmarks

Reactions: volfanhill
Is that the goal or is the goal to reduce the spread enough to open up the freaking country so we don't have an economic collapse? Look, I'm all for saving grandma but not at the expense of my family and years of recession.

There must be a defined goal in place if this is ever going to end. Complete lack of leadership across the board that there are no defined benchmarks

I guess my opinion is based on my assumption that most of our current restrictions are in place in order to protect grandma. Kids can’t go to school and people can’t go shop or eat out because even though they may not get very sick, they might spread the disease to the more vulnerable.

There you have it...my opinion based on assumptions!!

I just like that people are mad they can't get a vaccine that wasn't supposed to be available in 2020 and if it was it was because Trump forced it through to feed his ego and it would probably kill you.

Reactions: Sea Ray

That fact that it's 4 Dems and 0 Republicans tells me the spreader came from within the ranks of the Dems.

But we were told she was targeted by evil republicans

"Only hours after Trump incited a deadly assault on our Capitol, many Republicans still refused to take the bare minimum COVID-19 precaution and simply wear a damn mask in a crowded room during a pandemic — creating a superspreader event ON TOP of a domestic terrorist attack," Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., said on Twitter.

You do realize that I diagnose and treat illnesses (including some that are vaccine-preventable) on a daily basis, right? ...And that I administer vaccines daily? ...And that I studied immunology as part of my medical training? ... And that I have regular discussion with colleagues in Immunology and Infectious Disease?

As a rough estimate, I've probably seen around 75,000 sick kids in my career and have given north of 100,000 shots. No, I don't work in a lab all day, but I've got a pretty good handle on illness transmission and vaccine efficacy.
Come on kiddiedoc. Everyone knows that pediatricians don’t even have a cadaver in medical school. They’re given dolls to dissect.

Reactions: StarRaider
It's all very unusual. Neither the CV PCR or rapid antigen test should detect the presence of influenza, as it is a distinctly-different virus both in terms of genome and expressed protein. In addition, hospitals and community providers are certainly testing for flu and RSV, there just haven't been many positives. I'll look today and get a rough estimate as to how many we have run this season.

I think most of it can be explained with decreased travel and less mass-gathering. Without a lot of international travel, there's certainly an increased chance that our flu vaccine strains are a match this year, which will also help. RSV is a little harder to explain... Daycares and preschools are near capacity, and you can't make infants and toddlers suddenly have good hygiene.
I think our daycare is finally cleaning. No stomach bugs. They also aren't taking in many kids while losing some.

Taking a vacation at end of March with the family for spring break. Getting out of NY for a while. To return, NY says you have to test before you come back, then quarantine for 3 days, the test again on day four home. If both tests are negative, you can return to “normal” allowable activities.

I will have been vaccinated for over two months by then. But I won’t be exempt. I will still have to test and quarantine before returning to work.

Notes from Mexico...

Here in Cancun, face masks are basically mandatory in public. I'd say 95% of the locals wear them at all time, even outdoors. Cops, taxi drivers standing around, barkers, most everyone except lawn care and construction guys.

I sat in a lounge chair by the pool yesterday, employee comes over and says I must lie on a towel due to the virus. Wut.

When you enter outdoor malls here, security takes your temperature and you get a squirt of sanitizer in your hands.

I've even seen people lying on the beach all day with their masks on.

Ironically, to reenter the US, I now would have to get a COVID test prior to entry.

So, F it. I'm not coming back anytime soon.

Last edited:
Notes from Mexico...

Here in Cancun, face masks are basically mandatory in public. I'd say 95% of the locals wear them at all time, even outdoors. Cops, taxi drivers standing around, barkers, most everyone except lawn care and construction guys.

I sat in a lounge chair by the pool yesterday, employee comes over and says I must lie on a towel due to the virus.

When you enter outdoor malls here, security takes your temperature and you get a squirt of sanitizer in your hands.

Ironically, to reenter the US, I now would have to get a COVID test prior to entry.

Wearing masks lying on the beach 😂😂😂

Taking a vacation at end of March with the family for spring break. Getting out of NY for a while. To return, NY says you have to test before you come back, then quarantine for 3 days, the test again on day four home. If both tests are negative, you can return to “normal” allowable activities.

I will have been vaccinated for over two months by then. But I won’t be exempt. I will still have to test and quarantine before returning to work.

I bet tourism in NY is doing swell.

Notes from Mexico...

I sat in a lounge chair by the pool yesterday, employee comes over and says I must lie on a towel due to the virus.

Hope your mask matches the speedo.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back