Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Covid is beginning to settle down again in southern middle TN. McRib's hospital only has 2 cases admitted.
I hope we are through with the huge outbreaks, now. If CDC estimates are correct, up to 220 million people may have had exposure or tested positive by now.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Knox county total positive cases have really dropped lately. Most days it seems growth is under 1% lately.

Covid is beginning to settle down again in southern middle TN. McRib's hospital only has 2 cases admitted.
I hope we are through with the huge outbreaks, now. If CDC estimates are correct, up to 220 million people may have had exposure or tested positive by now.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.
I haven't seen that report..great news if accurate

Update on our COVID status ...we still don't have it...spent Christmas week at Universal with more than I would have liked to see adults in Harry Potter robes.. swam with several hundred manatees in Crystal River...celebrated new years at a busy Irish restaurant then visited the new Mississippi Aquarium to see some dolphins up close..we are still too young for the vaccine age groups here so haven't gotten yet

Update on our COVID status ...we still don't have it...spent Christmas week at Universal with more than I would have liked to see adults in Harry Potter robes.. swam with several hundred manatees in Crystal River...celebrated new years at a busy Irish restaurant then visited the new Mississippi Aquarium to see some dolphins up close..we are still too young for the vaccine age groups here so haven't gotten yet

It went thru my house in December. Very mild for the entire family.

Don't know about KD practice but my kids ped makes you sign a waiver and advising the risk of being in the office.
With the sanitation efforts, patient flow protocols, PPE, etc being used, our office is one of the "safest" places to visit right now, and maybe even less risky than people's own homes!

Got a covid test today for sh!ts n giggles. The people complaining about "it hurting" are truly the biggest p###ies on this planet.
When the tests were first administered they shoved the swab all the way up into your freaking brain.... now it’s just a little rubbing around in the nose

Reactions: StarRaider
With the sanitation efforts, patient flow protocols, PPE, etc being used, our office is one of the "safest" places to visit right now, and maybe even less risky than people's own homes!

My uncle’s pediatrician practice is getting crushed because nobody wants to bring their children in. He makes the same point about the safety protocols.

My uncle’s pediatrician practice is getting crushed because nobody wants to bring their children in. He makes the same point about the safety protocols.
Where is his practice? It has been a very lean year, volume-wise. We're still doing a good job getting kids in for well checks, routine vaccines, etc, and people would rather come to us than go to the ER/hospital-based clinic for illness or injuries. The mysterious disappearing-act of flu and RSV continues... We have been able to keep all staff employed, thanks to COVID relief money and everyone sacrificing a little, when needed. The early months (March-June) were really uneasy, but I think we will pull through OK.

Where is his practice? It has been a very lean year, volume-wise. We're still doing a good job getting kids in for well checks, routine vaccines, etc, and people would rather come to us than go to the ER/hospital-based clinic for illness or injuries. The mysterious disappearing-act of flu and RSV continues... We have been able to keep all staff employed, thanks to COVID relief money and everyone sacrificing a little, when needed. The early months (March-June) were really uneasy, but I think we will pull through OK.

You know from previous posts that I respect you and your opinion, so I feel like I can throw this out there without offending...if not then I apologize in advance bud.

Anyway, you mentioned and I think have also previously mentioned the " disappearing " of influenza this year....according to the media etc anyway. I have zero doubts that there will be less flu this season due to what is known about how it transfers etc and people taking covid precautions and forced reduction in interaction due to closed schools, jobs, WFHome, etc... but you are actually saying that in jest as well, right?

As far as many sick and dying elderly actually probably have/had the flu and it was counted as covid for a number of different reasons, right? I know about the similarities between the 2 as coronaviruses ...why they are called that, etc....

I read early on that some of the tests would also have a positive result when a person had Rhinovirus as well...IIRC thats the virus most people call the common cold, right? So a simple head cold would also be counted as a positive for covid with those tests?

We won't even get into the discussion about the difference between dying from covid, versus dying WITH covid from comorbidities, natural causes, accidents, etc....or politics vs actual medical and scientific data as cause for the closings, wearing masks, etc....thats a different conversation and I don't want to complicate this nor ask a million Qs at once. ..

I am just very curious as to your opinion about the "disappearing " etc....I didn't know that RSV was also missing this year...and since it only affects babies and toddlers, what your thoughts are about that also?..

Edit: also thanks for your perspective, and taking time to post here

You know from previous posts that I respect you and your opinion, so I feel like I can throw this out there without offending...if not then I apologize in advance bud.

Anyway, you mentioned and I think have also previously mentioned the " disappearing " of influenza this year....according to the media etc anyway. I have zero doubts that there will be less flu this season due to what is known about how it transfers etc and people taking covid precautions and forced reduction in interaction due to closed schools, jobs, WFHome, etc... but you are actually saying that in jest as well, right?

As far as many sick and dying elderly actually probably have/had the flu and it was counted as covid for a number of different reasons, right? I know about the similarities between the 2 as coronaviruses ...why they are called that, etc....

I read early on that some of the tests would also have a positive result when a person had Rhinovirus as well...IIRC thats the virus most people call the common cold, right? So a simple head cold would also be counted as a positive for covid with those tests?

We won't even get into the discussion about the difference between dying from covid, versus dying WITH covid from comorbidities, natural causes, accidents, etc....or politics vs actual medical and scientific data as cause for the closings, wearing masks, etc....thats a different conversation and I don't want to complicate this nor ask a million Qs at once. ..

I am just very curious as to your opinion about the "disappearing " etc....I didn't know that RSV was also missing this year...and since it only affects babies and toddlers, what your thoughts are about that also?..

The early tests picked up the rhino. I have/had a cold and got tested Saturday. I had body aches, low grade fever, congestion. We have my MIL that we look after who is 73 so I got tested. Came back negative.

It's all very unusual. Neither the CV PCR or rapid antigen test should detect the presence of influenza, as it is a distinctly-different virus both in terms of genome and expressed protein. In addition, hospitals and community providers are certainly testing for flu and RSV, there just haven't been many positives. I'll look today and get a rough estimate as to how many we have run this season.

I think most of it can be explained with decreased travel and less mass-gathering. Without a lot of international travel, there's certainly an increased chance that our flu vaccine strains are a match this year, which will also help. RSV is a little harder to explain... Daycares and preschools are near capacity, and you can't make infants and toddlers suddenly have good hygiene.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

I’m happy to hear this. His practice is in NC. They’ve unfortunately had to lay off to stay above water.

We were discussing this in December and he told me a lot of are opting for ER / Minute Clinic visits versus pediatrician and it’s normally the ones who express concern about getting COVID. Just irrational behavior.

It was my understanding that it didn't have any of the virus in it. That is in a state government email update just sent to me. So if it can give you virus symptoms to the point of needing to quarantine, it has to have it in it.
My guess is it's the assumption the symptoms could be from a prevacine exposure and not the vaccine, so better safe than sorry.

The current vaccines have no virus, dead or alive, in them. Symptoms from the vaccine are there because of the body’s natural response to the antigen being produced by the vaccine. It makes the body respond like you’re fighting an infection, but in reality you aren’t.

However, vaccines don’t work immediately. So people who are exposed just prior or even within the first two weeks of the first vaccine can actually still contract Covid. After about two weeks, I think I saw there is upwards of 60% immunity and then 10-14 days after second shot is when the 95% immunity number comes in.

Reactions: davethevol
The current vaccines have no virus, dead or alive, in them. Symptoms from the vaccine are there because of the body’s natural response to the antigen being produced by the vaccine. It makes the body respond like you’re fighting an infection, but in reality you aren’t.

However, vaccines don’t work immediately. So people who are exposed just prior or even within the first two weeks of the first vaccine can actually still contract Covid. After about two weeks, I think I saw there is upwards of 60% immunity and then 10-14 days after second shot is when the 95% immunity number comes in.
So why would the lead epidemiologist for TN be telling you to quarantine if it's a natural response. Your post makes 0 sense.

So why would the lead epidemiologist for TN be telling you to quarantine if it's a natural response. Your post makes 0 sense.

Because you can’t actually tell the difference. It’s a symptom. So if you haven’t had both shots and you’re running a fever or feeling ill, then it’s safer to quarantine then to go back into a NURSING FACILITY.

Reactions: Kristy*

VN Store

Back