Lance Leipold (Buffalo)

How would you feel if we hired Lance Leipold?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
White didn’t carry Leipold to UCF. Why would he bring him to UT? That doesn’t even make sense

Doing so would seem a little lazy. I think White will want to make the college football world sit up and take notice of UT with this hire. I'm excited to see who he picks. Guy obviously knows a good coach when he sees one. Comforting thought and refreshing.

Most here would be upset because they’ve likely not heard of him. He has won everywhere he’s been and has built buffalo into a solid team.
I'm aware he is a good coach. I think if he was that close to White, than White would've hired him at UCF when Frost left to Nebraska.

Leipold
Satterfield

These two guys intrigue me. They move mountains with spoons.
This is the big show in the SEC. I don't know if it is the right thing to do...

The next Urban Meyer is gonna be somebody like these guys. Our team is stocked with talent. The talent just needs coaching.
It was getting pretty stocked, if all these people actually leave in the portal like Eric Gray, Morris, Henry T, Chandler, and so on. It could be a much harder start in the SEC for whoever the new coach is.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Because of the level of competition. When you're looking at nba coaches, do you count their g league records?

Shhhhh...... Nobody tell cornbread here about Nick Nurse, Quin Snyder, Luke Walton, Taylor Jenkins, Nate Bjorkgren, or Mark Daigneault.

No $hit the competition isn't as high genius. But if a guy goes undefeated in 5 of his last 6 seasons, makes it to the national championship in 6 out 7 seasons, and wins the championship in 5 out of 6, maybe you do actually look at it. But you keep hyping Jeff Fisher who last time he had a winning season, George Bush was in office.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
I think we tend to get too caught up in the recruiting aspect(me included) when in reality, Tennessee is one of those schools that sells itself. Hell, Dooley had top 25 classes and it’s widely documented that he was one of the laziest recruiters in the game. I just want a guy that can coach football and develop players. Recruiting is about 2 things, being a good salesman or having the most cash, especially with the mindset of kids nowadays. Kids don’t care about what General Neyland did, or that we can put 100k fans in the seats. All they care about is getting x amount of followers on twitter and getting paid. We’ve got the social media thing covered, now all we need is a guy that can sell a kid on the possibility of getting paid in the league and can actually back it up by doing so.
So give me a guy that can coach and recruiting will fall in line.
GBO!!
Where is Dooley’s recruiting reputation “DOCUMENTED”? He was Saban’s recruiting coordinator at LSU...I can read that. Far be it for me to defend him in any way, but his declining classes at UT were a result of his declining reputation as a HC...and display the folly of relying on UT “selling itself”.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
We could do a whole lot worse than Coach Leipold. Wins and wins big everywhere he's been. If you have never heard of him, you haven't been paying attention.
So has Mike Houston. Dude is a program builder. Yeah, small schools though, I get it. But he gets the best out of what he has.

Shhhhh...... Nobody tell cornbread here about Nick Nurse, Quin Snyder, Luke Walton, Taylor Jenkins, Nate Bjorkgren, or Mark Daigneault.

No $hit the competition isn't as high genius. But if a guy goes undefeated in 5 of his last 6 seasons, makes it to the national championship in 6 out 7 seasons, and wins the championship in 5 out of 6, maybe you do actually look at it. But you keep hyping Jeff Fisher who last time he had a winning season, George Bush was in office.

I'll hype Jeff Fisher the same way I hyped Rick Barnes. Proven long-term successful career at a high level of competition. You can't lose with that combination, because you know exactly what you're getting: a great coach

Gill had ONE winning season in three at Buffalo. Eight wins. Then five before taking the Kansas gig. Main reason he got that was Barkley stumping for him in Auburn’s search.
I know but if you remember he was the hot name at the time. Was gonna get a Power 5 job and have an amazing career

Bienemy and Mayo? I’m all over the place with who I would like to see hired. One day it’s Kiffin, the next day it’s Gus and then the next it’s Chadwell and then I thought of this, we fans, the administration and boosters always want a guy that fits our vision, maybe it’s time we get the hell out of the way, find a guy that can coach football, and change our way of thinking to fit his vision. Because it’s obvious, our vision is not working. Let’s get ahead of this thing, be a trendsetter and usher in a new age of college football and imo hiring a guy like Bienemy and bringing in someone like Jerod Mayo(DC) could very well be what gets us there. Throw stupid money at these guys, lock them in long term, leave them alone to do their thing, give them expectations but patience, support them through a long, strenuous rebuild and get this program rolling. What do we have to lose? Kids would possibly flock to this university to play for a couple of guys like EB and JM. I think EB has a good offensive mind and JM is apparently highly respected around the league. With that said, I’ll be on here tomorrow screaming for Les Miles...again!😎
GBO!!
We are at a point where WE can’t take that kind of risk, JMO

I think we tend to get too caught up in the recruiting aspect(me included) when in reality, Tennessee is one of those schools that sells itself. Hell, Dooley had top 25 classes and it’s widely documented that he was one of the laziest recruiters in the game. I just want a guy that can coach football and develop players. Recruiting is about 2 things, being a good salesman or having the most cash, especially with the mindset of kids nowadays. Kids don’t care about what General Neyland did, or that we can put 100k fans in the seats. All they care about is getting x amount of followers on twitter and getting paid. We’ve got the social media thing covered, now all we need is a guy that can sell a kid on the possibility of getting paid in the league and can actually back it up by doing so.
So give me a guy that can coach and recruiting will fall in line.
GBO!!

Mostly agree. I'll take a great program builder over a great recruiter if I have to pick between them. You can always hire for the latter but not the former.

Lyle had the #7 & #4 classes back-to-back and went winless in the SEC two years later.

I know but if you remember he was the hot name at the time. Was gonna get a Power 5 job and have an amazing career
He really didn’t transform the program tho. People just felt he SHOULD be a great hire. One winning season at Buffalo and liquid failure at Kansas.

Plowman: “we are determined to get this right and to get a good person in place both as AD and as head coach. I think leadership and integrity are huge. I think experience in this role will be important as well.”

I could be wrong, but this is what I see:
1. Chadwell and Freeze are non-starters for her. Kiffin is probably a non-starter for her as well.
2. We’re asking a highly successful coach to look at our program and say, I want to sign up for a 1-2 year wait on the NCAA investigation, followed by 2-3 years of sanctions, and deal with an incredible disadvantage in recruiting the entire time.
3. Really don’t see a big name signing up for all this. Leipold or comparable makes sense.
4 If this happens, blame Fulmer not White.

With Frost recruits plus he’s on a down slide, regression and haven’t proven he can build with less talent nor can play with the big bots

I keep seeing this "Frost's recruits" argument.

Frost left UCF in 2017. UCF's recruiting class Nat'l rankings per 247
2017 - 55th
2016 - 65th
2015 - 71st

And the other argument is he regressed to 6-4 this past season. In a Covid year I take things w/a grain of salt, but losses were to:
#24 Tulsa
@memphis by 1 point
#7 Cincinnati
#16 BYU

Heupel wouldn't be my top choice, but let's not act like he's been mediocre. When he took over as OC at Mizzou, that offense went from 124th nationally to 13th in his first season and 8th in his second season, so he's got some SEC success too.

2017 - 55th
2016 - 65th
2015 - 71st

And the other argument is he regressed to 6-4 this past season. In a Covid year I take things w/a grain of salt, but losses were to:
#24 Tulsa
@memphis by 1 point
#7 Cincinnati
#16 BYU

Heupel wouldn't be my top choice, but let's not act like he's been mediocre. When he took over as OC at Mizzou, that offense went from 124th nationally to 13th in his first season and 8th in his second season, so he's got some SEC success too.
He’s not proven he can beat top tier coaches, if you want to say he’s a top tier choice then Chadwell would top him because Chadwell beat BYU, it’s a no brainer, like I’ve said before with butch, Dooley and cornbread, he’s not ready for a power 5 program like UT

I'll hype Jeff Fisher the same way I hyped Rick Barnes.

Career Winning Percentage
Barnes: .654
Fisher: .512

Winning Seasons since 2004
Barnes: 15
Fisher: 2

Non-Winning Seasons since 2004
Barnes: 3
Fisher: 15

Years Coaching College
Barnes: 34
Fisher: 0

With Frost recruits plus he’s on a down slide, regression and haven’t proven he can build with less talent nor can play with the big bots
Frost won with George O'Leary players as he was only there one year. Curious as to what Frost would have done had he stayed? Same or worse?

For those not familiar with the background of the Bugs Bunny “Leopold” clip, here is who Lonney Tunes was spoofing. One of the greatest conductors of the mid 20th Century

Frost won with George O'Leary players as he was only there one year. Curious as to what Frost would have done had he stayed? Same or worse?
Probably same, I’m not on Frost bandwagon either, you yourself just pointed that out, look where Frost is......you really want to tell me Heupel would be better? 🤮

2017 - 55th
2016 - 65th
2015 - 71st

#24 Tulsa
@memphis by 1 point
#7 Cincinnati
#16 BYU

Those UCF guys were George O'Leary players that Frost won with.

Plowman: “we are determined to get this right and to get a good person in place both as AD and as head coach. I think leadership and integrity are huge. I think experience in this role will be important as well.”

I could be wrong, but this is what I see:
1. Chadwell and Freeze are non-starters for her. Kiffin is probably a non-starter for her as well.
2. We’re asking a highly successful coach to look at our program and say, I want to sign up for a 1-2 year wait on the NCAA investigation, followed by 2-3 years of sanctions, and deal with an incredible disadvantage in recruiting the entire time.
3. Really don’t see a big name signing up for all this. Leipold or comparable makes sense.
4 If this happens, blame Fulmer not White.

NO, you have to blame that on the ten people that got fired. Guilt by association has it's limit. You think Plowman was not also fooled by and signed off on the Pruitt hire? I really really hope the details of the acts become public. I especially want to know what the LENGTHS were that they used to try and hide the issues. Without that I don' t know how to asses blame and responsibility. I have a guess or two what motivated the coaches involved, not a clue on the ops people.

Career Winning Percentage
Barnes: .654
Fisher: .512

Winning Seasons since 2004
Barnes: 15
Fisher: 2

Non-Winning Seasons since 2004
Barnes: 3
Fisher: 15

Years Coaching College
Barnes: 34
Fisher: 0

Yes, you obviously don't realize they're in different sports. It's a lot easier to win basketball games than nfl games. Over 500 in the nfl over 15 years is success

VN Store

Back