Lady Vols vs. Kentucky Game Thread

You'll be Rip Van Winkle by then....don't cha think?
Holly has been out coached two games in a row. Don’t just blame it on the players, the last two games belong on Holly. There is nothing wrong with our recruits, it is all about how they are being coached. The Lady Vols should not have lost the last two games. Kentucky has taken less talent, coached them up and beat our butts, with their three best players on the bench with over 4 minutes to play. Each year it keeps getting worse and it will not change anytime soon, unless Holly learns to coach, gets fired or quit, which are all unlikely. This is what we have to live with, that extension is looking like a real bad idea.

Holly has been out coached two games in a row. Don’t just blame it on the players, the last two games belong on Holly. There is nothing wrong with our recruits, it is all about how they are being coached. The Lady Vols should not have lost the last two games. Kentucky has taken less talent, coached them up and beat our butts, with their three best players on the bench with over 4 minutes to play. Each year it keeps getting worse and it will not change anytime soon, unless Holly learns to coach, gets fired or quit, which are all unlikely. This is what we have to live with, that extension is looking like a real bad idea.
I agree about the players tee. I don't think lack of effort was a factor but I do think Lack of confidence was

ky throws up a prayer of a 3 and it was answered. if not, Tn comes back and kicks their hineys.

remember, they are still just youngins. Steady as she goes, sulu.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
I'm beginning to think that the only reason Holly gets the players she does is because they know
she is a pushover with easy practices and zero discipline.

T e n n s s e e

Kids want to play for the legacy PS has made for this team. Everyone always talks about the assistant coaches and how they were vital to them coming to Tennessee. You don’t hear them talking about omg I want to play for Holly Warlick! Nope!

The starting five is fine. Holly just needs to coach them.

This game shows why I'm not sold on Cheridene. She can rebound against smaller teams, but even with all the offensive boards, she just throws it up there until she can grab her miss 1 feet from the basket and make a layup or get to the line. Good luck trying that against McCowan or Turner.

I love her hustle and hard work on the glass. She’s play defense, can guard the perimeter, Mimi was blown past by KY smaller guards about 3-4 times. I’d take her over KK, Harris.

Btw I’m on the west coast that’s why I’m always so late to respond in the forum lol.
Turned off my notifications from my ESPN app, DVR’d the game so I can come home from work, have dinner and watch the game.
And let’s just say I’m shocked, although I guess I shouldn’t be, but what a disappointing loss. Two games in a row. This was embarrassing. I have been a fan for over 20 years now and I will continue but this has to just stop. Lot of dumb turnovers, quick shots, not moving/sliding defensively against your player.

Reactions: Momto2
ky throws up a prayer of a 3 and it was answered. if not, Tn comes back and kicks their hineys.

still youngins?...tell that to the Dook freshmen

Totally terrible loss 12 free throws missed 38 percent from the field. Really not deserving to win. Let a 5'9" guard score 27 on you who is a good shooter but not very big or fast. Terrible shot selection and numerous mental errors in the first half that you build yourself an enormous deficit that is hard to overcome.

The starting five is fine. Holly just needs to coach them.

This game shows why I'm not sold on Cheridene. She can rebound against smaller teams, but even with all the offensive boards, she just throws it up there until she can grab her miss 1 feet from the basket and make a layup or get to the line. Good luck trying that against McCowan or Turner.

I disagree the starting five right now is the issue Holly put Meme on the top of the world and now we see that was a mistake. Westbrook she makes good passes and then makes a lot off awful passes.

Btw I’m on the west coast that’s why I’m always so late to respond in the forum lol.
Turned off my notifications from my ESPN app, DVR’d the game so I can come home from work, have dinner and watch the game.
And let’s just say I’m shocked, although I guess I shouldn’t be, but what a disappointing loss. Two games in a row. This was embarrassing. I have been a fan for over 20 years now and I will continue but this has to just stop. Lot of dumb turnovers, quick shots, not moving/sliding defensively against your player.

I will agree with you 100% a lot of dumb turnovers, I`m not sure why Meme dribbles the ball so hard she lose control or make a dumb pass.

Einstein4.JPG
Holly has been doing this since she took the job!

Reactions: WVU05UT09
I disagree the starting five right now is the issue Holly put Meme on the top of the world and now we see that was a mistake. Westbrook she makes good passes and then makes a lot off awful passes.

And who do you think would take the place of Jackson and Evina? Masssengill? Can't shoot, can't score. Burrell? See above. Zaay Green? See above

Holly will ride or die with Evina and Meme. Not that a #2 ranked HS kid and another top 50 kid is such a bad predicament... but they need to be coached, and that's not one of Holly's strong points.

Reactions: volnationnj
No matter who starts and no matter the youth or age of this team, how in the world do you come out of the gate this thoroughly mentally unprepared and unfocused after what just happened in the previous game? I never really see lack of effort with this team (unlike several recent LV teams) just wildly unfocused, unorganized effort

Every game is like the first time they've ever stepped on the court. Nothing learned in games or practices, experience apparently never an ongoing factor, development over time of veteran players non-existent (sorry looking at you MeMe). All of this screams bad coaching to me.

And who do you think would take the place of Jackson and Evina? Masssengill? Can't shoot, can't score. Burrell? See above. Zaay Green? See above

Holly will ride or die with Evina and Meme. Not that a #2 ranked HS kid and another top 50 kid is such a bad predicament... but they need to be coached, and that's not one of Holly's strong points.
That is what she is getting paid to do

That is what she is getting paid to do

Clearly. I was being kind of tongue in cheek to express my opinion that she is a poor coach. It's almost like she just unleashes her team of big athletes and wonders why they aren't winning? She doesn't develop players. I thought this season was different and was starting to change my tune, but it's easy to look good against the massive roster of cupcakes they scheduled in OOC. It's kind of sad that these kids are basically ensuring Holly keeps her job because their good enough to win just enough games, but they aren't improving as players.

Mule that excuse is getting old. There are many youngins in the game today. That excuse just not hold water, coaching is coaching and we are not getting our share from this staff!

I hear you talking...yes they are young, but so is Ky and 6 of our youngins were McDonalds All Americans...TO TOP IT ALL OFF, Ky played the last 4 mins of the game with their number 1,2 & 3 players on sitting on the bench! What!!!😳

I would agree with you if Morris, Howard and Murray played 30 min apiece. They didn't, and Murray didn't play at all in the 2nd half and Howard played 2 min in the half. Outside of Morris (and she wasn't that highly rated a player out of HS), Tennessee had a talent advantage the size of the grand canyon in the 2nd half, and they still lost.
I get what you're saying about talent. It was glaringly obvious who had the better pedigree on the floor, at least visually. TN was longer and in most cases stronger and had the better position 80% of the time under the basket. They just weren't finishing or imposing their will for a lot of the game. At the end there it looked like they might pull it out but I ended up switching to the Cards vs Irish game and finished the last 4 minutes of this game just watching the scoreboard app. So I admittedly didn't see all of what happened down the stretch. I do know when I looked at the box score and saw that Morris fouled out I thought TN was gonna win. If nothing else hopefully they learned to start the game ready to play, take care of the ball, and make your free throws.

If Jackson is Holly best option this team is cooked and you know it. Well we all know Holly can`t coach but she needs to send a message to the starters. Look at teams like Georgia there coach made a change to the starting five and now they are playing much better. SC has made a change to there lineup and it`s seems to be working Cooper has had her mins cut . There are few other teams that have tweek there lineup.

I get what you're saying about talent. It was glaringly obvious who had the better pedigree on the floor, at least visually. TN was longer and in most cases stronger and had the better position 80% of the time under the basket. They just weren't finishing or imposing their will for a lot of the game. At the end there it looked like they might pull it out but I ended up switching to the Cards vs Irish game and finished the last 4 minutes of this game just watching the scoreboard app. So I admittedly didn't see all of what happened down the stretch. I do know when I looked at the box score and saw that Morris fouled out I thought TN was gonna win. If nothing else hopefully they learned to start the game ready to play, take care of the ball, and make your free throws.

Tennessee basically let Maci Morris beat them, and this is what is so frustrating. This is a kid who (I believe) Tennessee didn't think was worth recruiting, and who probably wouldn't see the court if she signed as a Lady Vol. To make matters worse, when she fouled out with an eternity left in the game and UK up only 4 points, Tennessee and their army of uber-athletic, tall, 5-star players couldn't just roll over 5 no-name UK players that again probably wouldn't even merit a "thanks but no thanks" response should they tried to get the coaching staff's attention as a recruit. That's what makes this most frustrating. Maci Morris, Rhyne Howard and Taylor Murray gave UK a chance, but they weren't on the court when the game was decided.

VN Store

Back