Lady Vols Softball

I will say this tactic is not only used by the UT coaching staff, but by many. But it is very cut-throat, and the word gets out and prospective players hear these things and make their own decisions about a school. Also, in the case of Pacini, if she didn't want to be there, then that would have been a bigger headache for the other players who did want to be there, which just causes dissention in the dugout. Having her on scholarship and not on the field is probably the lesser of 2 wrongs for the team. Once again, this is just my opinion, I have no real knowledge of this situation.

Yes, but lack of scholarship money -- money that she's sucking up while being a regular student -- also hurts recruiting, too.

Yes, but lack of scholarship money -- money that she's sucking up while being a regular student -- also hurts recruiting, too.

Yes, but what DP said it’s not the player’s choice, it’s Karen’s choice not to have her on the team. Also, I believe she has up to 5 years of scholarship money to obtain a degree with 4 years of playing eligibility.

Thanks DeerPark. I was not aware of the four year obligation. But now I have another question. If the student is still on scholarship, can she not be required to attend every practice and team function? Even if you just make her go stand in foul territory. And if she refuses to show for practice, would that not be a violation of team rules and make her eligible for dismissal and removal of the scholarship? Just asking.

I don't think the rest of the team was interested in having her around, either.

I think you all discount the reality that a lot more than on-field performance dictates who is and is not on the team.

Reactions: Rickster and Majors

I think you all discount the reality that a lot more than on-field performance dictates who is and is not on the team.

Hmmm doesn’t add up... I went to several games this season and saw Pacini with several players. I’m sorry deer park but it just appears that you don’t like her for whatever reason. You sound bitter.

Agree with that last part especially when you stop assuming girls are happy because they smile on camera, joke with other players or get playing time.

Reactions: lvfan

From what I’ve heard being a bad teammate was a non issue. I do like how you separate yourself from the rest of us know nothings on this forum. I will discount what you say when it comes to player evaluations though!

Reactions: lvfan
Losing 4 out of 6 athletes of the second best signing class of 2018 is a poor reflection of the coaches any way you try and spin it. Sorry UT could have used Phillips, Osbron and Pacini last season as they had no offensive depth off the bench. You stated Phillips has the same injury that she had when she was here? I’m sure she was talked out of getting the surgery that was needed. Osborn’s mental health was low because of Karen and Pacini had an ACL tear and was cut by Karen! Disagree with you! This class was good! They passed the eye test.

Losing 4 out of 6 athletes of the second best signing class of 2018 is a poor reflection of the coaches any way you try and spin it. Sorry UT could have used Phillips, Osbron and Pacini last season as they had no offensive depth off the bench. You stated Phillips has the same injury that she had when she was here? I’m sure she was talked out of getting the surgery that was needed. Osborn’s mental health was low because of Karen and Pacini had an ACL tear and was cut by Karen! Disagree with you! This class was good! They passed the eye test.
I'm not familiar with the cases for Osbron and Pacini but do know that injury or no injury with Phillips is that she was looking to leave after her FR year.

How are we and recruits supposed to read this? Is she saying things will be better now because she is the lone head coach? Is she saying Ralph was dead weight? If Ralph was holding her back from running a better program, why did it take so long to figure that out and make the change for the betterment of the program? And since they are a married couple, isn't that doubly so? If he wasn't, why should we believe it will be a better program without him? I'm looking at this quote from Karen being published now as a PR mistake.

How are we and recruits supposed to read this? Is she saying things will be better now because she is the lone head coach? Is she saying Ralph was dead weight? If Ralph was holding her back from running a better program, why did it take so long to figure that out and make the change for the betterment of the program? And since they are a married couple, isn't that doubly so? If he wasn't, why should we believe it will be a better program without him? I'm looking at this quote from Karen being published now as a PR mistake.
I think you totally missed the point of the article. She wasn’t saying Ralph was holding back the program, but that after 20 years of coaching alongside her husband as head coach she wondered if she could handle being the sole head coach and making all of the big decisions. If you read the article, her and Ralph had 2 different mentalities, so having the responsibility to create this mentality and culture from her own words and not having Ralph’s input as well. Say what you want, but this team will be extremely different from any other team we have had in the past. We have an actual hitting coach that is not Marc, we explored and landed a handful of quality transfers which has never been done to this extent, players left that in my opinion either held the team back or added no real competition on the bench, and you add the extremely talented, versatile, and powerful freshman class that we have makes for an interesting and promising 2022 season.

Yep - it was like "Good cop, Bad cop" and the Good cop retired..... His fatherly persona pulled in a lot of recruits. Karen's firebrand mentality drove a bunch away. We will see how it shakes out for sure.

Agree with you on this. Ralph has forgotten more softball than Karen will ever know! Also Ralph is still listed as a special advisor on the roster? I’ve heard he’s still in attendance at practices?

VN Store

Back