Lady Vols Softball

Does anyone know if madison pacini will join the team this spring? and if so do you guys think she will have an impact on the squad?

Outside of injury, I can’t recall a player that has redshirted since the Weeklys have been here and I don’t expect that to change.
I don’t recall either because of money and needs but this is something to watch in how she’s handled.

She has the tools to be a great hitter too but our history is we don't like pitchers hitting.

Those types are not what we usually recruit. Be the best in the circle, focusing on at bats is less time focusing on the pitching.

PGF Futures MVP a rising JR from TN who’s headed to FSU. Documented here that she’s been overlooked and trains in Knoxville to make matters a little more real.

Last edited:
PGF Futures MVP a rising JR from TN who’s headed to FSU. Documented here that she’s been overlooked and trains in Knoxville to make matters a little more real.

Committed in the 7th grade to FSU......Player Profile: Ashtyn Danley Becomes First 2023 Commit to Florida State - Extra Inning Softball
She played well but I'm glad early recruiting has stopped it allows the girls to grow and not worry about being talked to.....now I know coaches will talk to the travel ball coaches but the pressure of committing at a young age is gone......There is a 12 year old who is currently raking because she is just bigger than everyone else she and her team will be on tv in a few weeks in the LLWS

Committed in the 7th grade to FSU......Player Profile: Ashtyn Danley Becomes First 2023 Commit to Florida State - Extra Inning Softball
She played well but I'm glad early recruiting has stopped it allows the girls to grow and not worry about being talked to.....now I know coaches will talk to the travel ball coaches but the pressure of committing at a young age is gone......There is a 12 year old who is currently raking because she is just bigger than everyone else she and her team will be on tv in a few weeks in the LLWS
Early recruiting never stopped. With this one it’ll be interesting to see if TN comes calling in a few months. Knowing her process, early commitment and seeing her play it’ll be interesting to see if we reach out.

The only reference I have of a hitting pitcher was Rainey Gaffin and I think the memory of her getting injured in the sec tournament in 2016 left a sour taste in the coaches mouth. I believe that if we had her for regionals that year we would have made it to supers. Correct me if I am wrong, but ashley did have a couple at bats her freshman year and drove in some runs

Monica Abbott hit some her freshman year (52 ABs) and sophomore year (22 ABs). For her career she had one HR and 15 RBI and hit 18-74 (.243).

Also Gaffin wasn’t recruited as a pitcher. She wound up pitching initially in her sophomore year because of depth/injury issues and then it turned out she was basically the best pitcher on the team her last two years. Honestly her pitching stats for her HS team weren't all that impressive and I don’t know that she pitched at all for her travel ball team (Corona Angels), so it was a surprise when she had one of the best drop balls I've ever seen.

Last edited:
The only reference I have of a hitting pitcher was Rainey Gaffin and I think the memory of her getting injured in the sec tournament in 2016 left a sour taste in the coaches mouth. I believe that if we had her for regionals that year we would have made it to supers. Correct me if I am wrong, but ashley did have a couple at bats her freshman year and drove in some runs

The Weekly's never really cared for 2 way players

Is that the one nickname “sticks” cause she is a real hitter. Pickens looked a little nervous the first inning she pitched. Gave up the double to sticks but showed she has great potential and can still fill out that tall frame some more. I think having her own catcher would have helped. Good luck hitting her good rise ball.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
Is that the one nickname “sticks” cause she is a real hitter. Pickens looked a little nervous the first inning she pitched. Gave up the double to sticks but showed she has great potential and can still fill out that tall frame some more. I think having her own catcher would have helped. Good luck hitting her good rise ball.
#15 was the kid from TN. Best player for the class of 2023 didn’t play due to an injury this week that will probably require surgery.

Pickens will be good, but like I’ve mentioned she’ll need time. Physically like you said and mentally with Megan to the change of the game.

#2 class, underachieve or bad rankings?
I think the 2018 class was just a case of bad rankings. Rogers & Shipman were as expected. I think had the slapping rule not changed Parsons would have been a steady part of our lineup. Osbron was good defensively, but was never impressed with her offensive production. Phillips & Pacini would have been better at lower level D1 schools. I believe the 2019 class definitely underachieved with the exception of Milloy.

I think the 2018 class was just a case of bad rankings. Rogers & Shipman were as expected. I think had the slapping rule not changed Parsons would have been a steady part of our lineup. Osbron was good defensively, but was never impressed with her offensive production. Phillips & Pacini would have been better at lower level D1 schools. I believe the 2019 class definitely underachieved with the exception of Milloy.

Reminds me of the elder Shipman's class that wound up basically being her, Melissa Davin and Ellen Renfroe. Of course, Tory Lewis was also in that class, and left the program and came back and graduated the year after they did. But that class had Kortney Thomas, Chelsea O'Connor, Ashley Holmes all of whom transferred to mid-major schools.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
From what I saw from her at Texas she mostly came out of the bullpen, but she also pitched against OU, OSU, & Baylor which is good quality experience that we desperately need. She has pretty good stuff and has the capability to be a really good pitcher, but hopefully Megan can fine tune some things and she can be dependable for us.

With her addition we have 6 pitchers on our roster for next season. I think it is given that Ashley will be our ace for next season. If Ryleigh and Erin can improve under Megan’s leadership they could be our 2/3. As far as Sam if she could be more consistent with her drop and change location she could be a decent relief pitcher/midweek game type of pitcher kind of how rainey gaffin was for us in 2015. With Bailey we all know she is a midweek game pitcher, but I would like to see the coaches have a little more trust in her to start some of them just to get her experience and her confidence back. The dark house will be Nicola Simpson I have not seen enough of her to determine what her role would be.

I would love for the coaches to start some of the other pitchers during midweek games throughout the season and even start them early on in the season against some tough competition and don’t pull them when they give up a run or two. We will definitely have the offense to keep us in ballgames and the defense is improving so why not throw some of the young pitchers into the fire and see how they do early on and not just in SEC play when Ashley is tired.
Thank you, Mr. white. Welcome to gol nation.

Shipman parsons pacini rogers osbron played and started for national ranked teams Rico richardson fausett biele at a young age. Pretty sure the rankings were correct. It comes back to coaching. Read Shipman’s interview w Justin’s world to get the true picture of behind the scenes. Read osbron’s current sm post- coaching. Turner left bc of coaching.

Reactions: WizardofOz
Heard the same rumor is not by choice though and is eating up a full scholarship!

It's not really a rumor, she's been off the team for over a year and, no, it wasn't her choice. She wasn't asked back, so they still had to honor her scholarship if she wanted to remain in school at UT. That's an NCAA rule change from a few years ago.

She wasn't good enough to play here. If you want to blame coaching, as a poster did above, that's fine. But she also didn't go play anywhere else. Doing what it takes to play at this level isn't for everybody.

The rest of that class was Phillips, Osbron, Parsons, Rogers and Shipman. Phillips was hurt here, quit in part because she wouldn't do what was needed to come back in the lineup, then transferred to Chattanooga, where the same injury persists. Osbron had two off-field issues and needed to grow up. I'm glad that she's found a new home, hope she's successful. But she was flat out of chances here.

Parsons hits well enough, if she could consistently field a ground ball, she would have started every game at second base the last two years. Obviously Rogers and Shipman are the real deal.

It's not really a rumor, she's been off the team for over a year and, no, it wasn't her choice. She wasn't asked back, so they still had to honor her scholarship if she wanted to remain in school at UT. That's an NCAA rule change from a few years ago.

She wasn't good enough to play here. If you want to blame coaching, as a poster did above, that's fine. But she also didn't go play anywhere else. Doing what it takes to play at this level isn't for everybody.

The rest of that class was Phillips, Osbron, Parsons, Rogers and Shipman. Phillips was hurt here, quit in part because she wouldn't do what was needed to come back in the lineup, then transferred to Chattanooga, where the same injury persists. Osbron had two off-field issues and needed to grow up. I'm glad that she's found a new home, hope she's successful. But she was flat out of chances here.

Parsons hits well enough, if she could consistently field a ground ball, she would have started every game at second base the last two years. Obviously Rogers and Shipman are the real deal.

Losing 4 out of 6 athletes of the second best signing class of 2018 is a poor reflection of the coaches any way you try and spin it. Sorry UT could have used Phillips, Osbron and Pacini last season as they had no offensive depth off the bench. You stated Phillips has the same injury that she had when she was here? I’m sure she was talked out of getting the surgery that was needed. Osborn’s mental health was low because of Karen and Pacini had an ACL tear and was cut by Karen! Disagree with you! This class was good! They passed the eye test.

Reactions: WizardofOz
So the coaches’ lack of talent evaluation is currently eating up a scholarship for a player that isn’t even on the team and never should’ve been here to begin with? Sounds par for the course.

Also, Pacini committed as an 8th grader so…there ya go.

VN Store

Back