Lady Vols Softball

So the coaches’ lack of talent evaluation is currently eating up a scholarship for a player that isn’t even on the team and never should’ve been here to begin with? Sounds par for the course.

Also, Pacini committed as an 8th grader so…there ya go.

She's a poster child for ending early recruiting, that's all I'll say on her.

You stated Phillips has the same injury that she had when she was here? I’m sure she was talked out of getting the surgery that was needed.

Phillips went through fall at UTC, but did not play in the spring. I don't think she had surgery either.

Was not well received by her teammates when she came in, vey much a prima donna.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
I wonder if we are ever going to have another Haley Bearden type of player? Someone who can put up monster type of offensive numbers, the ultimate teammate, & focused on the team outcome rather than personal gain. Having not transferred during her time here earned my respect because I feel like that is what is happening too often these days.

Okay, someone help me on this scholarship situation with Pacini. Is she going to be taking up a scholarship for the coming season or was that just for last year? I know that in sports such as football, the scholarships are on a year to year basis. If there is an injury, the player can be put on a medical scholarship that doesn't count against the total number allowed. Is it different for softball? I just don't understand how she can still be on scholarship if no longer a member of the team. Someone please clarify for me.

Reactions: lvfan and jp1
Okay, someone help me on this scholarship situation with Pacini. Is she going to be taking up a scholarship for the coming season or was that just for last year? I know that in sports such as football, the scholarships are on a year to year basis. If there is an injury, the player can be put on a medical scholarship that doesn't count against the total number allowed. Is it different for softball? I just don't understand how she can still be on scholarship if no longer a member of the team. Someone please clarify for me.

Scholarships are no longer on a year-to-year basis, with limited exceptions.

If there is an injury, a school places the student-athlete on a medical scholarship that does not count against the team total. If a student-athlete is dismissed for team policy violations or other conduct issues, they do not remain on scholarship.

But, if a student-athlete loses his or her spot on a roster for performance reasons, the school is required to honor the scholarship and it counts against the team's scholarship number for the remainder of that person's four year athletic clock. This is extremely rare, because most student-athletes that aren't asked back to a team transfer somewhere else to play. But if they don't, the school has to honor the scholarship.

Thanks DeerPark. I was not aware of the four year obligation. But now I have another question. If the student is still on scholarship, can she not be required to attend every practice and team function? Even if you just make her go stand in foul territory. And if she refuses to show for practice, would that not be a violation of team rules and make her eligible for dismissal and removal of the scholarship? Just asking.

Thanks DeerPark. I was not aware of the four year obligation. But now I have another question. If the student is still on scholarship, can she not be required to attend every practice and team function? Even if you just make her go stand in foul territory. And if she refuses to show for practice, would that not be a violation of team rules and make her eligible for dismissal and removal of the scholarship? Just asking.

Dude we don’t live in North Korea! Imagine if what you suggested was done. Do you not think word would not get out about such abuse and how would your recruiting fair? The finger pointing should be at the coach not the student athlete. Deerpark’s spew is always backing the admin and coaching staff never backing the athlete. The common denominator on all this is the coaches. It’s been that way for awhile.

Reactions: WizardofOz
Yeah I’m not sure why they don’t just keep her on the team. I mean, why cut a player if they are still on scholarship?

Dude we don’t live in North Korea! Imagine if what you suggested was done. Do you not think word would not get out about such abuse and how would your recruiting fair? The finger pointing should be at the coach not the student athlete. Deerpark’s spew is always backing the admin and coaching staff never backing the athlete. The common denominator on all this is the coaches. It’s been that way for awhile.
I wouldn’t say it’s always on the coaches. Some of these athletes need to have some perseverance to get through tough times. Granted every athlete has a point where you can’t take enough and you have to move on and I am all for prioritizing your mental health, but at this level it’s all about your mentality and owning your role. Take someone like Hannon, probably would’ve been a star at a lower D1 college, but believed in her ability and worked her way into an everyday role. I am sure that she got her share of words from the weeklys. I just think that some athletes need to put their ego aside.

Reactions: Nickid1975
I wouldn’t say it’s always on the coaches. Some of these athletes need to have some perseverance to get through tough times. Granted every athlete has a point where you can’t take enough and you have to move on and I am all for prioritizing your mental health, but at this level it’s all about your mentality and owning your role. Take someone like Hannon, probably would’ve been a star at a lower D1 college, but believed in her ability and worked her way into an everyday role. I am sure that she got her share of words from the weeklys. I just think that some athletes need to put their ego aside.

It’s definitely a give and take scenario, but Karen has a very long history of being a huge hard ass — and tbh that’s putting it nicely. And that’s been told to me by parents of players that left UT and stayed — and even parents of those who loved their whole careers at UT and never wanted it to end.

It’s definitely a give and take scenario, but Karen has a very long history of being a huge hard ass — and tbh that’s putting it nicely. And that’s been told to me by parents of players that left UT and stayed — and even parents of those who loved their whole careers at UT and never wanted it to end.
I agree. I think that if Karen wants good kids to stay in the program that are dedicated to the success of the team she should stop recruiting kids just because they play for a certain team or rankings, although you might find some gems, and start recruiting kids that respond to your style of coaching. Athletes can always make leaps and bounds on the field, but that only works if they respond to how you coach.

Okay, Dude. Not sure what North Korea has to do with Tennessee softball. We all know you are not a fan of the Weekleys. Well, guess what, neither am I. But I didn't say take Pacini behind the stadium and beat her with a stick. But if she is on scholarship, I would expect her to show up and I would find her something to do even if it was taking out the trash. It's like signing up for a job, deciding you don't like your boss so you're not going to show up for work, then still expecting a paycheck. And I don't think expecting a healthy scholarship player to show up for practice is going to hurt recruiting. If a recruit thinks she should be able to do that, you don't want her.

Reactions: Bret178
Okay, Dude. Not sure what North Korea has to do with Tennessee softball. We all know you are not a fan of the Weekleys. Well, guess what, neither am I. But I didn't say take Pacini behind the stadium and beat her with a stick. But if she is on scholarship, I would expect her to show up and I would find her something to do even if it was taking out the trash. It's like signing up for a job, deciding you don't like your boss so you're not going to show up for work, then still expecting a paycheck. And I don't think expecting a healthy scholarship player to show up for practice is going to hurt recruiting. If a recruit thinks she should be able to do that, you don't want her.

Here is what I suspect happened with Pacini. This is how they treat a lot of the girls the are ready to "move on" from. (this is just a generalization, and her situation very well could have been different).

Each fall and spring, the coaches and players have an exit interview to see how things went and how they can improve. In the fall, most things are along the lines of: "you are starter material, just work on hitting your cut off and tweak your mentality at the plate". In the spring, for those the coaches are ready to "move on" from goes something like this: "you didn't live up to our expectations this year, I'm not sure you are ready for softball at this level, in fact I'm thinking of only using you as a pinch hitter, and probably only let you run next year, if I even bring you back at all". The coaches are trying to make the players leave to free up the money. Freudian hydraulics (psychological pressure).

Well the kid has to decide if they want to play for such a coach, or move on to another school, or in Pacini case, go to school and get your degree on your scholorship.

Last edited:
Here is what I suspect happened with Pacini. This is how they treat a lot of the girls the are ready to "move on" from. (this is just a generalization, and her situation very well could have been different).

Each fall and spring, the coaches and players have an exit interview to see how things went and how they can improve. In the fall, most things are along the lines of: "you are starter material, just work on hitting your cut off and tweak your mentality at the plate". In the spring, for those the coaches are ready to "move on" from goes something like this: "you didn't live up to our expectations this year, I'm not sure you are ready for softball at this level, in fact I'm thinking of only using you as a pinch hitter, and probably only let you run next year, if I even bring you back at all". The coaches are trying to make the players leave to free up the money. Freudian hydraulics (psychological pressure).

Well the kid has to decide if they want to play for such a coach, or move on to another school, or in Pacini case, go to school and get your degree on your scholorship.

About as 101 as it gets.

Reactions: MadWorld

Is it a 4 year scholarship? I thought scholarships are on a 5 year clock. And how does the Covid year affect the scholarship? So they are on a 6 year clock?

Is it a 4 year scholarship? I thought scholarships are on a 5 year clock. And how does the Covid year affect the scholarship? So they are on a 6 year clock?

4-year scholarship. The additional year of eligibility gained from the 2020 season is not guaranteed and the money would need to be found. Same as a red-shirt. I'm sure @DeerPark12 could give a better answer. :)

The problem isn’t the player not wanting to be on the team from what I’ve been told, but is the decision of the coach for her not to be there. Coach gives scholarship to athlete, coach cuts player, coach eats scholarship. Only person to blame here is the coach. Like Volman stated earlier “par for the course”.

Reactions: WizardofOz
The problem isn’t the player not wanting to be on the team from what I’ve been told, but is the decision of the coach for her not to be there. Coach gives scholarship to athlete, coach cuts player, coach eats scholarship. Only person to blame here is the coach. Like Volman stated earlier “par for the course”.
If the coach has told her to take a hike and stay away from the program, then that is definitely on the coach. And yes , she should eat the scholarship. And that might be the dumbest thing a coach can do. Add it to the list.

Reactions: kregman

To my knowledge Philips was a case of #2 after year one and held on a little longer. She wanted out after her FR year wanting you compete for championship. I’ll defer to her arrival to UTC to truth by you with your connection

Essentially yeah, that's what should've been done. It's like a boss that cuts the hours of an employee that isn't doing a good job in hoping they'll leave instead of having to fire them -- which is usually just wanting to avoid confrontation. But our coaching staff not even knowing how to properly get a player off the roster seems to only further highlight the incompetence that plagues them (and seemingly UT in general, for that matter). Instead we have a player that's not even on the team, not having to practice, nothing -- and they're eating up scholarship money. It's so incompetent that it's hilarious.

I also find it funny that DP seems to low key defend the coaches (like he always does) by basically saying "well she sucks" but it's like ... they ... recruited ... and ... signed ... her. Last I checked if a player that's on scholarship sucks and "should've never been here" then that's on the coaches since they literally handpick their players. And if it's not working out then find a way to not let said player eat up precious scholarship money without even being on the team. She should be on the team having to practice, run drills, do conditioning, etc. She's not the first player to be recruited here that wound up not being able to do anything more than being a pinch hitter. If she's not willing to do that, let her leave or quit on her own terms. Otherwise, keep her on the team, give her a pinch hit every so often, or if she's that bad, let her sit on the bench. But the fact that she's on scholarship and doing literally nothing irks TF out of me.

Reactions: lvfan and popvol
To my knowledge Philips was a case of #2 after year one and held on a little longer. She wanted out after her FR year wanting you compete for championship. I’ll defer to her arrival to UTC to truth by you with your connection

If she wanted to pursue championships, she didn't choose the right place to go. She is just another kid who committed when she was a freshman in HS that was not quite to the SEC level needed to compete with some other programs when she arrived in Knoxville. She is a fine player and if she gets back on the field, which is iffy from what I heard, she will be good addition for them. Not much of a teammate from what I've heard.

Reactions: Majors
But our coaching staff not even knowing how to properly get a player off the roster seems to only further highlight the incompetence that plagues them (and seemingly UT in general, for that matter).

I will say this tactic is not only used by the UT coaching staff, but by many. But it is very cut-throat, and the word gets out and prospective players hear these things and make their own decisions about a school. Also, in the case of Pacini, if she didn't want to be there, then that would have been a bigger headache for the other players who did want to be there, which just causes dissention in the dugout. Having her on scholarship and not on the field is probably the lesser of 2 wrongs for the team. Once again, this is just my opinion, I have no real knowledge of this situation.

If she wanted to pursue championships, she didn't choose the right place to go. She is just another kid who committed when she was a freshman in HS that was not quite to the SEC level needed to compete with some other programs when she arrived in Knoxville. She is a fine player and if she gets back on the field, which is iffy from what I heard, she will be good addition for them. Not much of a teammate from what I've heard.
No that was end of her FR year, hence the extended time at TN and not ending up where I was told on her list, one in conference and one out of conference.

Reactions: MadWorld
Essentially yeah, that's what should've been done. It's like a boss that cuts the hours of an employee that isn't doing a good job in hoping they'll leave instead of having to fire them -- which is usually just wanting to avoid confrontation. But our coaching staff not even knowing how to properly get a player off the roster seems to only further highlight the incompetence that plagues them (and seemingly UT in general, for that matter). Instead we have a player that's not even on the team, not having to practice, nothing -- and they're eating up scholarship money. It's so incompetent that it's hilarious.
You are speaking the gospel truth there. The other thing I find funny is in that class she was one of the few that could hit the better pitchers. I don't know the background dynamics at all but I know I was disappointed when she left, the same can't not be said for many recent departures.

Reactions: volman128 and lvfan

VN Store

Back