Lady Vols Softball

They looked lost, but credit Ueno for speed, off speed, different levels and mixing it all in together. At some point, this team needed to create chaos by playing small ball mixed in with chop/slap hits and power.
So I looked back at the olympic trials and saw who was invited and this is who I would have chosen:

Monica Abbott - P
Rachel Garcia - P/1B
Ally Carda - P/1B
Cat Osterman -P
Haylie McCleney -OF
Janie Reed - OF
Bubba Nickels - OF/3B
Amanda Lorenz - OF
Hannah Flippen - 2B/SS
Taylor Edwards - C
Dejah Mulipola - C
Keilani Ricketts - P
Sydney Romero - 3B
Savannah Jaquish - C/3B/1B
Ali Aguilar - 2B/SS

Breaking Down USA Softball Olympic Trials

Last edited:
The hitting roster was a joke. Japan is one thing but we didn’t hit all tournament. Watching the games it was like we were in a time warp from the last time we played 10 years ago. Hitting has evolved but we had the same tired look from 10 years ago. The older coaches wasted great pitching and politics ruled the day. Hemphill would easily be in the top three on that team but that is not the way we pick or play that game. The older coaches run the show don’t expect a lot different going forward except our pitching will take a step back.

The hitting roster was a joke. Japan is one thing but we didn’t hit all tournament. Watching the games it was like we were in a time warp from the last time we played 10 years ago. Hitting has evolved but we had the same tired look from 10 years ago. The older coaches wasted great pitching and politics ruled the day. Hemphill would easily be in the top three on that team but that is not the way we pick or play that game. The older coaches run the show don’t expect a lot different going forward except our pitching will take a step back.
I’d like to see Fouts and Faraimo for the next olympics.

I’d like to see Fouts and Faraimo for the next olympics.
Players go on with life since we don’t have a strong pro league. Japan does and you can make good money and they play consistently. Monica talked about drills that they have 8 hour practices just on drills. Would be almost impossible in the US to get players to do that with little to no pay. A new mega pitcher may rise up too in 7 years.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
Parsons going to left would concern me in two ways. One she has trouble catching balls on throws how would she catch flies? Two she throws side armed would not work in the outfield. Could she fix all that, yes but no signs of it in three years so far plus we need a far stronger bat out there. If they would let her swing away it might be a different story.

Players go on with life since we don’t have a strong pro league. Japan does and you can make good money and they play consistently. Monica talked about drills that they have 8 hour practices just on drills. Would be almost impossible in the US to get players to do that with little to no pay. A new mega pitcher may rise up too in 7 years.
I wonder do you guys think that O’toole and Romero decided to compete with Mexico because they did not have a shot with USA? they both had good showings and was wondering if that was the case. I am glad they competed for Mexico though because that program is on the rise. It’s always nice to see players represent their heritage.

Keagan Rothrock, right now the best pitcher in HS at any age and she is a rising JR. Committed to Florida. Maybe Pickens if she can develop into what we hope she can be. Most polished right now and is on the USA national team already is Rothrock.

I wonder do you guys think that O’toole and Romero decided to compete with Mexico because they did not have a shot with USA? they both had good showings and was wondering if that was the case. I am glad they competed for Mexico though because that program is on the rise. It’s always nice to see players represent their heritage.
Yes, I believe Cat took O'toole spot. Which is not a bad thing but to me as to why O'toole played for Mexico, but would have been an alternate and Keilani would have been in the rotation. Good move for O'toole to play for Mexico

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
Parsons going to left would concern me in two ways. One she has trouble catching balls on throws how would she catch flies? Two she throws side armed would not work in the outfield. Could she fix all that, yes but no signs of it in three years so far plus we need a far stronger bat out there. If they would let her swing away it might be a different story.
I agree but a lot can change in a player between seasons. Look at what Taylor Koenig did between 2014 and 2015, it was night and day in terms of her offense. My issue with Lair is her reputation as previous people have stated. I think that some athletes think that they deserve to be a starter from day 1 which is not always the case. Especially with the large roster for this upcoming season I think players should recognize that they might not be starters but that they can be a critical bat off of the bench.

Rainey Gaffin & Lexi Overstreet are examples that come to mind. They were not starters on the 2013 team but bats that the coaches had confidence in. They waited their turn which I love to see.

They did have the capability to do more, but the roster was severely lacking overall.

I agree, but neither of the runs came off of Cat.

Munro never should’ve even been considered for the team and we all know it. She can’t hit the broad side of a barn with a beach ball. And I have no idea why Chidester was on the team and especially getting playing time over those three you mentioned.
I agree with most of what you said, however Chidester was one of the better hitters for the US.

Reactions: Rixxx
I agree with most of what you said, however Chidester was one of the better hitters for the US.

That’s not saying a whole lot.

In her overall time with the National Team her hitting has been less than stellar. The fact that she was on the team over someone like Jessie Warren or Amanda Lorenz is ridiculous.

Last edited:
That’s not saying a whole lot.

In her overall time with the National Team her hitting has been less than stellar. The fact that she was on the team over someone like Jessie Warren or Amanda Lorenz is ridiculous.

I can't disagree that there were other potential better choices, just that in the 6 games they played she at least produced more than most of her teammates. Not scoring more than 2 runs in any game was a pretty telling stat.

I can't disagree that there were other potential better choices, just that in the 6 games they played she at least produced more than most of her teammates. Not scoring more than 2 runs in any game was a pretty telling stat.

9 runs in 7 games is pretty telling

Reactions: TJVol95 and jp1
Hitting..... Why have the stars of this year's WCWS not made the pool or the Olympic team? Please explain. These position players on the Olympic team should know that umpires will be calling strikes on the black. Lack of offense was really disappointing. Nobody was at the plate hacking at the first good pitch. Why didn't the third time through the order make a difference? I know, there were a couple of walk-off victories. The homerun yesterday I think was on the first pitch.:)
Kregman, can you help me out?

Hitting..... Why have the stars of this year's WCWS not made the pool or the Olympic team? Please explain. These position players on the Olympic team should know that umpires will be calling strikes on the black. Lack of offense was really disappointing. Nobody was at the plate hacking at the first good pitch. Why didn't the third time through the order make a difference? I know, there were a couple of walk-off victories. The homerun yesterday I think was on the first pitch.:)
I have nothing. I was thinking you could have taken a college all star team practiced them for a month and had far better hitting. The only thing I could come up with other than politics is the national team due to covid had very little game experience in the last couple of years whereas the college players have been playing. I couldn't figure out why we kept trying to pull the outside pitches (weak grounders if we even made contact) instead of driving it to the opposite field. Japan loved that.

Last edited:

For the same reason young players are shut out of the basketball WNT: politics, favoritism and loyalty to older players. Players like Moultrie, Chidester and Arioto have been on the team for many years. They were great in their prime (especially Moultrie and Arioto) but their time has long passed. Munro is only on the team because Tim Walton was involved in the organization for a long time. Great defensive catcher but a really bad hitter. Never should've come near the team. Her selection reminds me of when Ashley Holcombe was on the team years ago. Great defensive catcher but hit like .200 at Alabama. On the WNT she couldn't hit a beachball if you slow pitched it to her. At least those teams weren't Olympic teams, though. Garcia and Mulipola would've been on the team last year as collegians (and weren't even in school and redshirted to be on the team), and I think they got like one AB a piece in the Olympics. Mulipola definitely should've gotten time over Munro, who shouldn't have even been on the team. Jacquish and Mulipola should've been the selections at catcher. Even Taylor Edwards, who was an alternate for the team (and probably not Olympic-team worthy, either) would've been a better option than Munro. Nickles is a good player but Olympic team-worthy? She's only like the 4th or 5th best player on her own team at UCLA. Same with Spaulding and Carda. Again, favoritism comes into play because they went to blue blood UCLA. Aguilar is a good player but again I think you could find someone better. Outside of Monica, McCleney and maybe Cat, I think you could find a better selection at every other position. Hannah Flippen, who was an alternate, would've been a better selection over Kelsey Stewart or Delaney Spaulding. But again, she went to Utah, not Florida or UCLA.

Obviously Abbott and Osterman have been on the team for a long time, as well, but it's hard to keep them off given they're the two most decorated pitchers in the sport, ever, not to mention Monica is still playing professionally and is regarded as the best pitcher in the world and has been for a while. Osterman reminds me a lot of Serena Williams these days: still has the goods but you can tell she's not quite as sharp as she used to be. She can't go as many innings due to her age, which may be a product of her being retired for a while, in addition to being two years older than Monica.

No Jocelyn Alo or Jessie Warren -- not even an invitation for the trials. Sydney Romero, Amanda Lorenz, Montana Fouts and Shelby Pendley attended trials and didn't make it. HTH that happened with THIS roster, IDK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rixxx and MadWorld
I couldn't figure out why we kept trying to pull the outside pitches (weak grounders if we even made contact) instead of driving it to the opposite field.

Because Ken Eriksen and Howard Dobson are their coaches, that's why. Just look no further than the piss poor offensive numbers at their respective schools, USF and LSU. Another board described Team USA as an "old boys club" and with two coaches that bad coaching the Olympic team I believe that is 100% true.

Even if they had kept this trash coaching staff, having a better roster would've remedied a lot of what was wrong with this team.

I have nothing. I was thinking you could have taken a college all star team practiced them for a month and had far better hitting. The only thing I could come up with other than politics is the national team due to covid had very little game experience in the last couple of years whereas the college players have been playing. I couldn't figure out why we kept trying to pull the outside pitches (weak grounders if we even made contact) instead of driving it to the opposite field. Japan loved that.

No certain pitch attack strategy on Ueno. She’s accurate in all pitches and speeds, does enough to be balanced. As a hitter if you don’t have a tip on 1-2 pitches you’re done. If she starts off with a strike looking she’ll toy with you because now you’re guessing.

They looked lost, but credit Ueno for speed, off speed, different levels and mixing it all in together. At some point, this team needed to create chaos by playing small ball mixed in with chop/slap hits and power.
Any discussion of the greatest softball pitcher of all time has to include Ueno at this point. She’s completely shut us down the last two gold medal games.

Reactions: kregman
Two of our incoming freshman (Lair Beautae and Mckenna Gibson) will be competing in the Alliance Fastpitch All-Star game on ESPNU at 8PM CT
Gibson had a no-doubter homerun off of Sophia Simpson (Texas commit) in the 7th inning. I am very excited to see if she is able to crack the lineup given her power. Beautae had a decent showing given that she had I believe 3 hits in the game although her left foot was clearly out of the box. Defensively had some struggles at second base, but overall a solid player.

Gibson had a no-doubter homerun off of Sophia Simpson (Texas commit) in the 7th inning. I am very excited to see if she is able to crack the lineup given her power. Beautae had a decent showing given that she had I believe 3 hits in the game although her left foot was clearly out of the box. Defensively had some struggles at second base, but overall a solid player.
Thanks for the report.

VN Store

Back