Lady Vols All Time Starting 5 !!

Cait McMahan
Ace Clement
Lisa Harrison
Brittany Jackson
Candace Parker

Would have paid good money just to watch them run warmup drills.
I think you have a different sort of list in mind... but I would have Kortney Dunbar over Cait McMahan. Also, Lisa Harrison turned down an offer to pose nude for Playboy.

I think you have a different sort of list in mind... but I would have Kortney Dunbar over Cait McMahan. Also, Lisa Harrison turned down an offer to pose nude for Playboy.

Wise choice from classy Lisa.

There were way too many lovely Lady Vols from which to choose, but I tried to kind of go with a more-or-less traditional 5-position lineup.

Cait got the nod because she's just so dang cute!

The only way any of these "all-time greatest" lists can work is if we consider each player for what she was to her program and the game IN HER TIME. If we attempt to compare today's players to those from decades ago by Imagining how they'd fare going against each other head-to-head, then there would be no comparison. Today's top players would mop the floor with those from earlier decades because they are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, better trained, better fed, better equipped and, for the most part, better coached. Also, most of today's best players became serious about basketball earlier in their lives than did players in the distant past.

It is incredibly difficult to judge past players' talents and impact on the game "in their time" when lots of people rarely (if ever) saw any of them play, but there really were lots of players who were just as spectacular to the level that was possible at that time to be, and so I do always enjoy seeing some of the names from the distant past show up on these things. I don't know whether Holly belongs on the list or not. I do know that she would ride the bench if she came to UT today with her exact same skill-set that she had in 1976 -- but that's totally irrelevant. IN HER TIME, she was considered an Olympic-level point guard and was the first Lady Vol to have been so respected that her jersey was retired.

The only two I am 100% confident belong on anyone's list are Chamique and Candace. Everyone else is us for discussion. :D
Gotta have Catch. She played "D" with desire!!

I know Mercedes Russell is not one of the greatest Lady Vols but, Tennessee fans should feel good about the way she has been playing in the WNBA finals. I believe if she had better coaching in college she would be a starter in the League and would have reached her potential. I am pulling for her and hope she continues to improve. She has improved quite a bit from her rookie season to now, imo. Just saying.

I know Mercedes Russell is not one of the greatest Lady Vols but, Tennessee fans should feel good about the way she has been playing in the WNBA finals. I believe if she had better coaching in college she would be a starter in the League and would have reached her potential. I am pulling for her and hope she continues to improve. She has improved quite a bit from her rookie season to now, imo. Just saying.

You see what I see

I think Parker, Holdsclaw, and Catchings are the "Mt. Rushmore" picks after that there is a lot of talent for a few spots. One heuristic to narrow down the field is that a candidate needs to have won an NC. A tough standard but we are talking all-time.

Those years are (I know you all have them committed to memory) are
1987, 1989, 1991, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2007, 2008

So from this set would also include Tonya Edwards, Nikki McCray, Daedra Charles, and Dena Head.

So my all-time great Lady Vol 5 would be: Charles, Holdsclaw, Catchings, Parker (using her as a big shooting guard) with Edwards at point. Nikki would be the supersub 6th man. Oh, yeah Dena Head would be the back-up PG and Lisa harrison would rotate in as needed.

So, those eight players are the five greatest LVs, using the standard conversion formula 5 +3 = the number of national championships won by Pat Summit.

Catchings is 4th all-time in points scored at Tennessee, 6th all-time in rebounds, and 3rd all-time in steals—all this while playing alongside some of the best talent in the game at the time in addition to playing against some of the best talent in the game historically. Catchings was great in college. She didn’t wait.

Catchings is 4th all-time in points scored at Tennessee, 6th all-time in rebounds, and 3rd all-time in steals—all this while playing alongside some of the best talent in the game at the time in addition to playing against some of the best talent in the game historically. Catchings was great in college. She didn’t wait.
Agree!! She had that "dog" in her!!! As did Parker..

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I think Parker, Holdsclaw, and Catchings are the "Mt. Rushmore" picks after that there is a lot of talent for a few spots. One heuristic to narrow down the field is that a candidate needs to have won an NC. A tough standard but we are talking all-time.

Those years are (I know you all have them committed to memory) are
1987, 1989, 1991, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2007, 2008

So from this set would also include Tonya Edwards, Nikki McCray, Daedra Charles, and Dena Head.

So my all-time great Lady Vol 5 would be: Charles, Holdsclaw, Catchings, Parker (using her as a big shooting guard) with Edwards at point. Nikki would be the supersub 6th man. Oh, yeah Dena Head would be the back-up PG and Lisa harrison would rotate in as needed.

So, those eight players are the five greatest LVs, using the standard conversion formula 5 +3 = the number of national championships won by Pat Summit.
I would put Kellie as back up point guard..she was the glue!!

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
The only way any of these "all-time greatest" lists can work is if we consider each player for what she was to her program and the game IN HER TIME. If we attempt to compare today's players to those from decades ago by Imagining how they'd fare going against each other head-to-head, then there would be no comparison. Today's top players would mop the floor with those from earlier decades because they are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, better trained, better fed, better equipped and, for the most part, better coached. Also, most of today's best players became serious about basketball earlier in their lives than did players in the distant past.

It is incredibly difficult to judge past players' talents and impact on the game "in their time" when lots of people rarely (if ever) saw any of them play, but there really were lots of players who were just as spectacular to the level that was possible at that time to be, and so I do always enjoy seeing some of the names from the distant past show up on these things. I don't know whether Holly belongs on the list or not. I do know that she would ride the bench if she came to UT today with her exact same skill-set that she had in 1976 -- but that's totally irrelevant. IN HER TIME, she was considered an Olympic-level point guard and was the first Lady Vol to have been so respected that her jersey was retired.

The only two I am 100% confident belong on anyone's list are Chamique and Candace. Everyone else is us for discussion. :D
Catchings, no discussion either!!!

VN Store

Back