Kyra Elzy named Interim HC at Kentucky

I got the vibe that when Kyra moved on from Holly it wasn't voluntary. That was after the season where there were no recruits that signed with UT with the exception of Harris, who was a late addition and not in the typical mold of a LVs recruit. After Elzy Reeves came in and pulled in two very well regarded classes although attrition with them has been greater than expected.

I'm glad Kyra landed on her feet and now she has an opportunity to rise to the occasion with a very talented roster.

I hope Kyra is successful. She seems to have a good basketball mind and there is a lot of talent to work with at KY right now. Mitchell definitely turned the program into a consistent top 15 squad.

The one thing i like about Kyra even as an assistant coach she still ripped into the players and was in there face when she needed to be..

Holly was a good recruiter too then her role changed and she couldn’t make the transition. The head coach has to give some tough love once in a while. Hope Elzy can make the adjustment... I think 🤔

Kyra Elzy used to come to shop for clothes at the store I worked in during undergrad and was often on her cell phone complaining about coach not being tough enough on the kids... And I feel like I remember part of the reason that Kyra went back to Kentucky is not only because it was an associate head coach job instead of assistant, but also because her and Warlick did not get along because of that very fact. I also seem to recall former players being afraid of Coach Elzy too lol. So I don't think tough love is gonna be a problem for her.

I didn't know Holly had fired her when she left Tennessee as I wasn't paying much attention to the situation when all of it went down. Kyra ended up thanking Holly during her press conference today... So no love lost? Perhaps

Yeah there was definitely bad blood the way she left, but it turned out to be one of the few good decisions Holly made as recruiting immediately improved with her successor. Looks like it was a win-win for Kyra too...

P.S. Kyra was always one of my favorite players --- she and Tamika were similar in the way they approached the game
I thought the same thing, though Kyra was much more of a role player than Tamika. One of my fave ever Lady Vols, I really wish Kyra well. She certainly has the experience and background, not to speak of roster, to succeed.

All the best the Matthew Mitchell, sure sorry he had to step away at his career peak.

Coach Mathew Mitchell is a quality coach, and a quality human being. I am terribly sorry to hear that there is still residual issues from his surgery. My prayers and support to him, his family, and the entire UK Woman's basketball family. Support and best wishes to Kyra, but more importantly, God's Speed and Healing touch to you, Coach Mathew Mitchell. May God Bless you and your family.

Kyra Elzy used to come to shop for clothes at the store I worked in during undergrad and was often on her cell phone complaining about coach not being tough enough on the kids... And I feel like I remember part of the reason that Kyra went back to Kentucky is not only because it was an associate head coach job instead of assistant, but also because her and Warlick did not get along because of that very fact. I also seem to recall former players being afraid of Coach Elzy too lol. So I don't think tough love is gonna be a problem for her.

So u use to hear exactly her conversation about coach not being tough on players? Sounded like some ppl who said election was rigged with no prove.

Yeah there was definitely bad blood the way she left, but it turned out to be one of the few good decisions Holly made as recruiting immediately improved with her successor. Looks like it was a win-win for Kyra too...

Recruiting certainly got better. What happened to the recruiter brought in to replace her? Did KJH try to keep her?

Recruiting certainly got better. What happened to the recruiter brought in to replace her? Did KJH try to keep her?

Jolette Law went to SC and is kicking ass on the recruiting trail there, unfortunately. She left before KJH joined the staff, and I don't think there was a chance to get her to come back anyway. She was ready to "go home" to South Carolina.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Jolette Law went to SC and is kicking ass on the recruiting trail there, unfortunately. She left before KJH joined the staff, and I don't think there was a chance to get her to come back anyway. She was ready to "go home" to South Carolina.

Her mom was getting up in age and she needed to be closer to her... which we all understand but she is doing work!

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Kyra gets a welcome having to play SC twice this season. They have a weak non conference schedule but rather unlucky to play SC twice we only play them once.

The bottom line to me Kyra has been on the sideline for a long time so why not give her a shot at the HC job she earned it.

Kyra gets a welcome having to play SC twice this season. They have a weak non conference schedule but rather unlucky to play SC twice we only play them once.
I think UK and SC play each other twice during the regular season every year.

VN Store

Back