Knoxville Restaurants

I tried Gus's fried chicken for the first time a little over a week ago. The okra was fantastic, the chicken was really good but came out so hot you couldn't really eat it right away. Decent amount of heat on the chicken and the collard greens were average. The only negative about the place was they apparently charge for refills on soft drinks. This might have been written on the menu and I just missed it but sure enough the server charged me for it. I could have said something about it but didn't. With almost no other places in town charging for refills you ought to tell diners this upfront. Maybe the tips are so poor here that the servers are compelled to charge for refills.

I tried Gus's fried chicken for the first time a little over a week ago. The okra was fantastic, the chicken was really good but came out so hot you couldn't really eat it right away. Decent amount of heat on the chicken and the collard greens were average. The only negative about the place was they apparently charge for refills on soft drinks. This might have been written on the menu and I just missed it but sure enough the server charged me for it. I could have said something about it but didn't. With almost no other places in town charging for refills you ought to tell diners this upfront. Maybe the tips are so poor here that the servers are compelled to charge for refills.

Charging for refills is one of the greediest moves that an owner or operator of a restaurant can do. Carbonated beverages have the highest profit margin of any food or beverage sold. Charging for soda refills is fleecing your patrons.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
That is a first for me. I've been to the one in town a few times and never got charged for refills (albeit it's been about a year since I've been there). Been to multiple Gus's in Memphis as well and never got charged for a refill.

Charging for refills is one of the greediest moves that an owner or operator of a restaurant can do. Carbonated beverages have the highest profit margin of any food or beverage sold. Charging for soda refills is fleecing your patrons.
I believe ice tea is the highest profit beverage , maybe the highest profit margin on the menu. Cost, 2.5- 3 cents per serving to brew. $2- $ 2.50 charge to the consumer.

Last edited:
Went to Slawgers tonight near Movies 7 in West Knoxville. Food was lukewarm. Service was awful. No one working there seemed to care about anything.

Pros: Trivia was fun.

Best of luck to them. If you want to try it, I'd suggest doing it quickly before it shuts down.

That is a first for me. I've been to the one in town a few times and never got charged for refills (albeit it's been about a year since I've been there). Been to multiple Gus's in Memphis as well and never got charged for a refill.

I have also been to multiple Gus’ and never charged for a refill. In fact, they always offer a to go refill. I would call management

I just ate here got the first time and really enjoyed it. Also, it says on the menu “free refills,” so someone ripped you off.

Attachments

• E5079D41-0D78-487D-9286-4C56865AC521.jpeg
    E5079D41-0D78-487D-9286-4C56865AC521.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
I just ate here got the first time and really enjoyed it. Also, it says on the menu “free refills,” so someone ripped you off.

It was probably just an honest mistake then. I can't say it was a true ripoff as I saw it on the receipt and just chose not to bring it up. I wasn't in the best of moods that day. I was stressed about packing for a trip and to add to it as I'm driving to Gus's parts of my car were flying off as I'm driving down I40.

Reactions: VolNExile
Lunch at Farmacy yesterday was fantastic. They are kind enough to warn that the Nashville Hot Chicken (delicious) is made with a habanero crust. The Hot Mess pork "nachos" were really good, too.

It was probably just an honest mistake then. I can't say it was a true ripoff as I saw it on the receipt and just chose not to bring it up. I wasn't in the best of moods that day. I was stressed about packing for a trip and to add to it as I'm driving to Gus's parts of my car were flying off as I'm driving down I40.
Well, that’s never good. Hope none of the parts were important. 1561932299016.gif

I think this will be our last trip to Flemming's. The past 2-3 visits have been completely uninspiring for the money. IMO, a $250 meal for two in Knoxville should be knock-your-socks-off write-yo-mama good. . .and it just isn't. Steaks were only average in quality and cooked beyond our ordered temperature, drinks/wine are insanely overpriced. The king crab leg that was part of my meal was quite small, given the price, and also over-cooked. Service is always attentive and left nothing to be desired.

I don't think my opinion is out of the ordinary, as there were only 4 tables at 8:45 on a pre-holiday evening. 8 patrons, and I counted 14 visible employees. Last visit was similarly empty. Honestly, I can't believe they can make rent in Turkey Creek unless our experiences have been an aberration. There are just plenty of great independent options in Knoxville now for half the price.

My wife and I went to Flemings last week and we sat in the bar and did the $35 Summer meal promo. Choice of salad, entree of sliced tenderloin, chicken, or salmon...with a couple of dessert options.

My wife got the sliced tenderloin and it was very good. They put quite a bit on there for the $$$. I got the chicken. It was good but not worth what they charged. I do think they have the bese Cesar salad, though. It is very good.

I tried Sno Cream today in Turkey Creek and it is so stinking good. Worth checking out if you want a new desert place.

CAfe 4 lost a customer today. We showed up as a walk in with 5 people at 1045 for brunch. There were about 6 tables outside and 7 inside that were empty. Asked to be seated and the wait was 30min to an hour. They had a few reservations that had not shown up yet. Ok 5 min or 10 I can see but 30 mins with 13 open tables? I said no thanks. Will not be going again. Ended up at the bistro with no wait and excellent meal

CAfe 4 lost a customer today. We showed up as a walk in with 5 people at 1045 for brunch. There were about 6 tables outside and 7 inside that were empty. Asked to be seated and the wait was 30min to an hour. They had a few reservations that had not shown up yet. Ok 5 min or 10 I can see but 30 mins with 13 open tables? I said no thanks. Will not be going again. Ended up at the bistro with no wait and excellent meal
Sorry you had a rough experience but I'm glad you got a good meal from Bistro. Not to say that it is right or wrong, but if the staffing was such that they could not seat you in a way that would get you the proper service, then I can see not seating a table even though it is open. Was there a situation where an employee had not shown up, or something similar? It does seem odd that they would not be at full strength on a Saturday brunch, so I can only assume that something out of ordinary was hindering them.

Sorry you had a rough experience but I'm glad you got a good meal from Bistro. Not to say that it is right or wrong, but if the staffing was such that they could not seat you in a way that would get you the proper service, then I can see not seating a table even though it is open. Was there a situation where an employee had not shown up, or something similar? It does seem odd that they would not be at full strength on a Saturday brunch, so I can only assume that something out of ordinary was hindering them.
They told me they had some reservations that had not shown up at the time. While I get that 13 tables seems a bit much.

Anyone been to Kefi in the Old City?
Great staff and great look.
Small plate style menu.

Was not overly impressed with the menu.
We ordered several plates including a beef dish ($40) that was the most expensive on the menu and it was basically pot roast. Described as beef short ribs. Granted, it was quality, but it was literally akin to a southern pot roast and mash potatoes (polenta).

Their falafel were not even close to the best I’ve had.

Place was packed for a Wednesday and their profits have to be sick.

Anyone been to Kefi in the Old City?
Great staff and great look.
Small plate style menu.

Was not overly impressed with the menu.
We ordered several plates including a beef dish ($40) that was the most expensive on the menu and it was basically pot roast. Described as beef short ribs. Granted, it was quality, but it was literally akin to a southern pot roast and mash potatoes (polenta).

Their falafel were not even close to the best I’ve had.

Place was packed for a Wednesday and their profits have to be sick.
Have only been once, but I was very impressed. Reasonable in price, too, for what we had.

Finally got around to Ruby Sunshine on the square. It’s was fairly good. The biscuit was a little heavy for my taste and the potatoes where a bit over done. Not great but not terrible. Had the three pigs omelette. It was tasty and filling. Overall it’s more of a breakfast place than I could call brunch. No steak and eggs but beef hash instead. May try one of the Benedict dishes if you go. My choices for brunch downtown are still Bistro and The Grill and Brewery.

VN Store

Back