Knoxville restaurant recommendations: high end

NighthawkVol

I haven’t lived in Knoxville in almost 20 years, so when I go now it’s usually something fast and cheap like Gus’. What’s a good high-end Knoxville restaurant? I don’t mind paying for a damn good meal (taste, blend of flavors over volume). Is Oliver Royale good? What about others?

Reactions: Volfan1000
I haven’t lived in Knoxville in almost 20 years, so when I go now it’s usually something fast and cheap like Gus’. What’s a good high-end Knoxville restaurant? I don’t mind paying for a damn good meal (taste, blend of flavors over volume). Is Oliver Royale good? What about others?
Southern Grit, Chesapeakes, Stock and Barrel for a really great burger, they are not cheap. Also they have an amazing drink menu, especially their bourbon list.

Southern Grit, Chesapeakes, Stock and Barrel for a really great burger, they are not cheap. Also they have an amazing drink menu, especially their bourbon list.
When I lived in Knoxville, Chesapeakes was terrible. Hopefully, it’s improved. I was thinking The Brass Pearl for seafood, but have never had it.

I’ve had Stock & Barrel in Nashville…it’s good. I’ll look up the Southern Grit menu…thanks!

JC Holdway and Emilia are both good.

JC Holdway, Lonesome Dove, Oliver Royale, Vida, Kefi, Emilia, Brass Pearl, Nama -- all very good, downtown. It really depends on what kind of food you are looking for, as this ranges from high end game/beef to electric tapas to sushi.

Those knocking Chesapeake's: the west location is fantastic. Sitting at the oyster bar is the way to go.

Reactions: bignewt
JC Holdway, Lonesome Dove, Oliver Royale, Vida, Kefi, Emilia, Brass Pearl, Nama -- all very good, downtown. It really depends on what kind of food you are looking for, as this ranges from high end game/beef to electric tapas to sushi.

Those knocking Chesapeake's: the west location is fantastic. Sitting at the oyster bar is the way to go.
agree with Chesapeakes West, and I forgot Lonesome Dove, it was fantastic.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
OP: if you are interested in offerings out West, I can add suggestions. I figured you were looking downtown.

Oh, I'll also add A Dopo pizza, just a little north. The chef was trained at Blackberry Farm and went to Italy to learn pizza and to purchase a wood fired authentic oven.

Some friends stopped in Knoxville last night. I told them y’all recommended JC Holdway and they went. They loved it. Sent me photos and descriptions of the plates. Looks like that may be where I go next time.

I haven’t been to the Old City in forever, but I used to love it back in the day. We always hit market square these days. Hopefully, the OC is still a great area.

Some friends stopped in Knoxville last night. I told them y’all recommended JC Holdway and they went. They loved it. Sent me photos and descriptions of the plates. Looks like that may be where I go next time.

I haven’t been to the Old City in forever, but I used to love it back in the day. We always hit market square these days. Hopefully, the OC is still a great area.
Lonesome Dove is in the old Sullivan's building in the OC. Chef Tim Love (VFL) came from Austin brought Texas with him. The Elk, Bison ribeye, rabbit-rattlesnake sausage, truffles Mac and cheese, and the smoked Manhattan are all excellent. Bring your wallet, though!

Vida on Gay St is probably the most eclectic/modern spot, with flavorful tapas dishes. Downstairs, the Vault is one of the hipper places to hang out and have drinks. It's sister restaurant, Kefi in the OC, is a similar concept but Greek-inpired.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Point B has not disappointed. The food exceeds the Decor.... I hesitate to post for fear the wait times will be unbearable.

Lonesome Dove is in the old Sullivan's building in the OC. Chef Tim Love (VFL) came from Austin brought Texas with him. The Elk, Bison ribeye, rabbit-rattlesnake sausage, truffles Mac and cheese, and the smoked Manhattan are all excellent. Bring your wallet, though!

Vida on Gay St is probably the most eclectic/modern spot, with flavorful tapas dishes. Downstairs, the Vault is one of the hipper places to hang out and have drinks. It's sister restaurant, Kefi in the OC, is a similar concept but Greek-inpired.

Love that building.

My wife and I are taking my mom to the South Carolina game. Was thinking about taking her to the Old City for lunch. Would the wait be bad at Lonesome Dove if we got there at 11:30 for lunch that day, since the game isn't until 7:30?

OP: if you are interested in offerings out West, I can add suggestions. I figured you were looking downtown.

Oh, I'll also add A Dopo pizza, just a little north. The chef was trained at Blackberry Farm and went to Italy to learn pizza and to purchase a wood fired authentic oven.
If we’re talking really good pizza, I recommend Pizzeria Nora. Pizzeria Nora · 4.8★(241) · Pizza restaurant. I like it better than A Dopo. It’s not too far from it, either.

Here’s the catch: it’s open seven hours a week, Fridays and Saturdays 5:30-9:00. It’s also take out only. It’s the same guy and the same location of the former Central Avenue Sandwich Shop, which had some of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had.

The last time we went, we placed our order and walked across the street to Elst Brewing. We enjoyed some beer in the courtyard out back while we waited on the pizza to be made. When it was done, I walked back across Central to get the pizza and we ate it in Elst’s courtyard.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Love that building.

My wife and I are taking my mom to the South Carolina game. Was thinking about taking her to the Old City for lunch. Would the wait be bad at Lonesome Dove if we got there at 11:30 for lunch that day, since the game isn't until 7:30?
They have really good prime rib for lunch on Fridays. I’ve never had a wait on Fridays, but never tried on a game day Saturday.

VN Store

Back