Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

So many of you all wanted Kellie gone, so now here you go! An unproven D1 coach. Hopefully she will step up and be successful. I will be root for her regardless. She has been successful everywhere she has been, so hopefully it translates to UT. We need recruits though so hopefully she is or has good recruiters as assistant coaches
I was not one of them. I believe had TN beaten SC we would not be here. However, a combination of Kellie indicating in a couple posts game pressure that she does not like change and the failure in the last 1.1 seconds in the SC game to have anyone to defend the inbound pass doomed her fate. I hope Kellie all the best. I believe she will be successful in her next coaching position. Just think, Kellie could be the only coach to lead five different school to the NCAAT. GBO.

Congrats to Coach Caldwell. She has done exceptionally well at every stop, and obviously has impressed a lot of people for lots of reasons. It's going to be a huge job, but hopefully she is up to it and will have the full support of the current players, the top-notch players we hope to reel back in after re-opening their recruitment, some top-notch talent from the portal, and the vast Lady Vol fanship.

I'll be in that arena next season cheering my tail off for the Lady Vols and their promising new coach.

GO LADY VOLS!

Were some of y’all just Kellie fans and not Lady Vol fans? Aren’t we supposed to support the coach and team no matter what? Some of y’all complaining now have shoved that down everyone’s throat for years. I’m here for seeing how this plays out. I love her style of play and hope it can translate here at Tennessee and I freaking hope she can get out there and RECRUIT!!! We will see, and if it doesn’t pan out then I will calling for the next!! Wishing her and our ladies luck!!! 🍀

If Caldwell is hired you may want to put your money somewhere else. I would recommend the Lady Vols NIL collective because they will need to spend big to make up for the lack of name recognition by recruits and portal players.

In addition, Caldwell will have an uphill fight on her hands convincing Cooper and Spear, et al. to stay. With Spear in her COVID year, would she really want to stay for a rebuild with an unknown head coach and a questionable roster?
It doesn’t even matter at this point, we will most likely miss the tournament next year.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
What we REALLY want to know is this: How many mid-major or major coaches were interested in the job? How many did
White approach--and, more important, interview? That's really the info that would put the hire into context.

Did he in fact cast a wide net? My guess
is that the net was small. There wasn't any word from any other program fan base or paper about the coach being interviewed or approached
by UT. Nothing. Of course most of it is done via agents--and so a 'no' from an agent will not be noticed by anybody--but it would be fascinating to know how many coaches he actually interviewed--and who. My sense--could be wrong--is that he was never interested in hiring away the coach from Gonzaga, Baylor, Oklahoma, Maryland, Princeton--in the way that Kentucky hired away Brooks from Va. Tech---and that none were interviewed. Might not have been interested...might not have been approached.

I've been a Lady Vol fan for a long, long time. I have not felt this sad about the program since the day Pat Summit stepped down.
Eh, give her a chance. She could surprise us. We won't really know if this is a failure by DW for at least 3-4 years. I was hoping for better, but we get what we get. My choices were Hammon or Gottlieb. I knew Hammon was probably unattainable, and I guess Gottlieb wasn't going to leave USC. Now we'll see what this young lady can do. I honestly hope she succeeds.

Need a different energy and that’s more enabled with a younger, hungrier coach imo. Underestimating White’s impressive history of interviewing candidates is a losing hand.
The last time a SEC school hired a young gun basketball coach from Marshall, it worked out pretty well for them. To the tune of two national titles and four final four appearances.

So many of you all wanted Kellie gone, so now here you go! An unproven D1 coach. Hopefully she will step up and be successful. I will be root for her regardless. She has been successful everywhere she has been, so hopefully it translates to UT. We need recruits though so hopefully she is or has good recruiters as assistant coaches
Yep and I’m very happy.

Reactions: Exiled and butchna
Eh, give her a chance. She could surprise us. We won't really know if this is a failure by DW for at least 3-4 years. I was hoping for better, but we get what we get. My choices were Hammon or Gottlieb. I knew Hammon was probably unattainable, and I guess Gottlieb wasn't going to leave USC. Now we'll see what this young lady can do. I honestly hope she succeeds.

I will support her fully, but today, I am saddened immensely about what this hire says about the state of our program.

This was a Dan White interview hire. The only thing preconceived was her resume. I’ve learned to respect what he sees and feels and discerns during a hiring process and he’s had a stellar batting average. Very excited! Cautious within reason, but optimistically confident.

We will have a good sense of how things are
going to be when we see who leaves our program and who answers her phone call. I hope she’s successful, but players may rightfully have concerns and questions.

I want to know who is going to be on her staff. She can leave the Marshall staff and players at home.

He could get this hire wrong 47 more times and it wouldn't matter. As long as football is producing.
People don't understand that. And it's not just women's basketball. It's every other sport that's not football, regardless of gender. Doug Dickey's entire tenure as AD was all about football. I mean, the man hired Wade Houston and survived. Not saying it's right or wrong, but football is the bell cow. As long as it's succeeding, DW is safe.

Danny White is the guy who did this when Pensky left and he needed to hire a new soccer coach: He asked the players who
they wanted as their new coach. They said J. Kirt--longtime assistant. They liked him. White hired Kirt. No search.

The following season, with 10 of 11 starters back, our 20-win soccer team won 11 games. It went from winning the SEC tourney title to losing its first SEC tourney game--and from winning 2 NCAA games to winning none. And then last year the 11 wins became 9 (and barely that).

Last edited:
Congrats to Coach Caldwell. She has done exceptionally well at every stop, and obviously has impressed a lot of people for lots of reasons. It's going to be a huge job, but hopefully she is up to it and will have the full support of the current players, the top-notch players we hope to reel back in after re-opening their recruitment, some top-notch talent from the portal, and the vast Lady Vol fanship.

I'll be in that arena next season cheering my tail off for the Lady Vols and their promising new coach.

GO LADY VOLS!
Your post is setting a great example of what a real LVs fan should feel.like this should be the attitude and spirit that the rest of the fans have

VN Store

Back