Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Two priorities for White
1. Recruiting - absolute must! Can't show up for the Kentucky Derby with a bunch of mules...
2. X's and O's - has teach sound fundamentals and keep up with changes in the game

Hell, even Pat wasn't the best offensive mind, but she did reach out to the Villanova coach and NBA coaches to grow her expertise

Peck isn't a good coach. I said what I said and I stand by it. Winning a NC back in the 90s with another coach's players doesn't make someone a good coach. But you made her NC out to be a big deal while downplaying Freese's, despite hers being later and having more sustained success at Maryland. Freese isn't that great of a coach, either (but she's a great recruiter), but she's a much better coach than Peck. Which is why she is still coaching and Peck hasn't been a HC since her failed stint at Florida.

Freese, to me, is an okay coach. She had a team full of underclassmen in 2006 and never got back to the FF with them. She's been a few other times since then, though. But she's slimy as hell. Kept contacting Candace Parker even after she was signed at UT (which is a violation). Allegedly there was shady happening with Sade Wiley-Gatewood, too. Walz is slimy as hell, too. I'm sure he learned it from her as he was her assistant for years and was an assistant on that 2006 team.
You're the one putting emphasis on my posts where there were none. You believe what you believe and you've said it. Move on.

That's true. But with Hammon's roster, it would be hard to lose. WTBS, I like Hammon very much and would be thrilled if she was hired. But she's unproven in the college game. Remember, pro coaches don't pick their players.

Intentional or not I don't get the condescension.

And me pointing out a former WNBA coach isn't on the same ground as the other WNBA coach had zero to do with either at the college level. They both coached in the WNBA and that's where the similarities end.

Intentional or not I don't get the condescension.

And me pointing out a former WNBA coach isn't on the same ground as the other WNBA coach had zero to do with either at the college level. They both coached in the WNBA and that's where the similarities end.

It's not condescension? I was just making a point. I'm well aware of Hammon's winning %. I'm just saying in college, you have to recruit, which you don't do in the pros. Also, I've been told Hammon doesn't want to coach in college because she doesn't want to deal with recruiting. But we shall see.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
It's not condescension? I was just making a point. I'm well aware of Hammon's winning %. I'm just saying in college, you have to recruit, which you don't do in the pros. Also, I've been told Hammon doesn't want to coach in college because she doesn't want to deal with recruiting. But we shall see.

I wasn't comparing them at the college level since neither has coached at the college level, hope this clears it up.

Hammon has a far better track record in the WNBA than Boucek, that's all my original post was pointing out.

Jenny Boucek anybody watching this name. She was born in Nashville. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ok. Just because you screamed, I looked her up. Underwhelming.

Jennifer Dawn Boucek (born December 20, 1973) is an American assistant basketball coach for the Indiana Pacers, a former basketballplayer, and former head coach of the Seattle Storm. She was hired by the Storm on January 20, 2015, but terminated on August 10, 2017 as the team failed to meet the expectations that came along with the acquisition of consecutive top draft picks Jewell Loyd and Breanna Stewart.”

She's great and it is kind of strange that progressive women do well in local politics around here. But wonderful. An oasis of sanity. And gives me as a Tennessee voter a chance to vote for someone who actually has a chance to win for a change.

Exactly. While "home run hire" "swinging for the fences" etc came from fans, not the AD, the very act of removing Kellie implies alot. When you replace a coach who was finishing in the top tier of the conf every year the implication is clear. The "everything school" implies alot as well. Back the brinks truck up for Dawn Staley is silly, but IMO so is a lateral hire. In the age of the transfer portal and NIL things move much faster now so I'll be very disappointed with another "maybe she can" hire who needs 2 or 3 yrs to start showing improvement. What would be the point?

I also think DW must have had the next hire in mind and hopefully is closing. If we get the "meh" hire, I believe it's bc no bigger hires turned out to be gettable.
Other than Niele Ivey I can’t think of a coach between the top four, that aren’t too old, that are an improvement over Kellie.
Pretty sure Ivey wouldn’t leave ND.
A couple of the coaches mentioned here a lot e.g. Oregon State coach had a good year but prior record was pretty middle of the road.
So does he go for the hidden gem?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
1) That is not my personal opinion per se. I think Brenda is a good coach, but I worry she is on the downhill part of her career. I think there are NIL/program investment issues at Maryland so I wouldn't be shocked if she reached out. I don't know what went on between Pat and Brenda. But I trust at least one account from an individual that was with Pat on a near daily basis to trust that if you hire her a sizeable group of people are going to explode.

I don't have a preference. If I were AD my exhaustive contact list would be in no particular order

Becky Hammond, Lindsey Gottlieb, Cori Close, Kevin McGuff, Teri Moren, Jennie Barancyzk.

Note: Vic, Dawn, Niele, Wes Moore not included because I dont see a scenario where they leave even for a jackpot or they are too old.

McCuin was on it until yesterday. That assistant hire calls her judgment into serious question.

If its not one of those 6 I'm not sure what the point was.
I agree with Hammond and Gottlieb being A level hires. Just afraid they’ll say no and likely have. Agree with you on Wes. We missed our chance there.

I can understand the Pat dynamic. I think appeasing that crowd lead us to mediocre hires already. I think Danny will listen but ultimately make a call needed. Ex would hiring a man anger the same group?

To me, Brenda is a better coaching candidate than Cori and Kevin. Teri and Jennie would be solid hires too.

Also, I've been told Hammon doesn't want to coach in college because she doesn't want to deal with recruiting.

Who told you that? She has been a relentless competitor everywhere she’s been, and does not take no for an answer. People like that do just fine at recruiting.

Not saying people are wrong. It may well be past her time.

But I’m taking her over 90% of the people I’ve seen listed here
Not a great program. Lot a drama, lot a kids transferring. Bad history with UT regarding tampering with a player.
Hard pass for me.

Also, I've been told Hammon doesn't want to coach in college because she doesn't want to deal with recruiting.

Who told you that? She has been a relentless competitor everywhere she’s been, and does not take no for an answer. People like that do just fine at recruiting.
@Stoerner Fumbles, you trying to hint at something with this defense 😉

Other than Niele Ivey I can’t think of a coach between the top four, that aren’t too old, that are an improvement over Kellie.
Pretty sure Ivey wouldn’t leave ND.
A couple of the coaches mentioned here a lot e.g. Oregon State coach had a good year but prior record was pretty middle of the road.
So does he go for the hidden gem?
I know Rueck had a couple of down years, but prior to the pandemic he had 4 straight Sweet 16s, including one Final 4 appearance and an Elite 8. I've always enjoyed watching his teams, dating back to when they were in Knoxville in 2014 (but maybe less so when they beat us on our home court in the 2nd round of the tournament in 2018!).

I like that this response was elicited from you.

It is my requirement and can be done with the right person.
Considering it's your "requirement" to win 30 games in year 1 what are the consequences if (err, when) it doesn't happen? Will you picket for the coach and AD to be fired? Will you just stop being a Tennessee fan? Inquiring minds want to know.

We hope it's the latter.

This is Gottlieb's 14th year coaching and only the second time she had less than 10 losses. 65% winning percentage. She also let JuJu crank up 22 shots a game at a 40% clip, 31.9% on threes; and consistently has a horrible offensive scheme.
A little context to that winning percentage might be good. It’s not like she was at powerhouse programs.

Reactions: brittannica

VN Store

Back