Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Context on win % Kellie consistently had a top 5 schedule

Brenda has a HUGE millions buyout

And no one is dumb for wanting someone of high class and they can question theirs and the drama around those programs.

I personally wouldn’t mind either I think Walz is the better hire but still down the list

Yeah the buyout is the bigger red flag, and not sure where anyone called someone dumb. I know I sure didn't.

I like Hammon more because there isn't a buyout attached. But to act like Walz and Brenda aren't great hires is wild. Doesn't mean they are the best hires for Lady Vols basketball, and doesn't mean they are the only great hires.

Reactions: SoilVol and JarFly
If Frese is past her prime that's mostly due to Maryland's nonexistent NIL program. It's almost certainly the reason for three straight underwhelming recruiting hauls for the Terps and it would be also the main factor if Frese were to leave Maryland for Tennessee. Lest people forget, Maryland made the Elite Eight in 2023 with a team that lost Ashley Owusu, Angel Reese, and Mimi Collins to the transfer portal with only one truly elite player (Diamond Miller). Maryland also made the Sweet Sixteen in both 2021 and 2022 and was poised to make a Final Four run in the canceled 2020 tournament with a loaded team that was ranked 4th and on a 14 game unbeaten run heading into the NCAAT.

Brenda Frese is still an elite coach albeit one with some baggage. She is definitely old school and uncompromising which hasn't always endeared her to players who require a lighter touch. Hence the transfers of players like Shakira Austin and Ashley Owusu (Reese decided the bail only after her friend, Owusu left).

With a significat NIL warchest and Tennessee's facilities and resources, Brenda Frese would absolutely reestablish the Lady Vols as a top 10 (possibly top 5) program.

I agree. Yea, apparently a lot of today's players need a lighter touch--and it's rather nauseating. Because major-college athletics has gotten so stupid and crazy, we've descended into an era of having to coddle the players and treat them like porcelain figurines. Our last two coaches have been players' coaches with a light tough--not demanding enough--and they did not succeed. But, yes, in this era of tampering and offering cash to good players/prima donnas to transfer, and sensitive players who think it's all about them, I could see some whining that Frese is too demanding.

Reactions: orange beard

Jenny Boucek anybody watching this name. She was born in Nashville. 🤷🏼‍♂️

She was a wildcard I’ve heard of, and mentioned. Former WNBA coach, currently asst coach for Pacers in NBA.

I think she would recruit well due to experience in WNBA and NBA. But unknown at college level.

Reactions: brittannica
Gottlieb would be my top choice.

I think it comes down to a lot of solid candidates as far as fundamental coaching, probably what sets those candidates apart is whether you can see them selling the program as far as recruiting.
This is Gottlieb's 14th year coaching and only the second time she had less than 10 losses. 65% winning percentage. She also let JuJu crank up 22 shots a game at a 40% clip, 31.9% on threes; and consistently has a horrible offensive scheme.

Also the 11 million buyout that some of you are mentioning tied to Brenda Frese is what Maryland would owe her if SHE was fired.

I agree with ya. I ain’t sure what political climate would have to do with hiring a coach. It certainly hasn’t stopped the baseball or football teams from getting massive stadium upgrades. I came late to the party, I was just curious what the “political climate” had to do with anything. Thanks for getting me up to speed.

GBO!!!
If you are a straight, white, man, then yeah, no issues politically. Come on down.

Reactions: volman128
I'll actually be shocked if we hire one of the handful of big names who've been discussed. For various reasons, it rarely happens. They are always
hard pulls---and expensive. Look at our football program---we've hired no big fish with the exception of Kiffin.

We've batted around about 10 names--maybe five experienced, big names who have to be considered long shots--unless White is prepared to go big and bold--and about 5 comers at good programs. We'll see if it's one of the 10---or a hire that has us all wincing slighltly and saying, with a hopeful, rueful tone: "well, s/he COULD be good."

Carolyn Peck, the ESPN analyst, has a nattie.

A nattie doesn't make someone a good coach when all the players from her team were recruits of Nell Fortner and Lin Dunn. It also helps when you have a POY award winner, Stephanie White, on your team.

She got fired years later from Florida for doing jack squat and was also on White's staff at Vanderbilt that didn't do anything.

These six names comprise the best target list I’ve seen since the search began.

I’m reluctant to suggest Hammon due to her lack of recruiting experience; however, that can be fixed by good assistant choices. To me, recruiting was a huge shortcoming for the past several years. That price tag would be very high, but it certainly would make a statement.

I personally prefer the Oklahoma, Ohio State and the Indiana coaches. I cannot bring myself to believe the USC coach would leave her current situation for a restart.

Freese and Walz are good coaches, imo, but might be difficult fits in Knoxville.
That's interesting. The only one on the list who wouldn't be a major disappointment for me is Hammon, and there are still question marks with her.

Reactions: brittannica
A nattie doesn't make someone a good coach when all the players from her team were recruits of Nell Fortner and Lin Dunn. It also helps when you have a POY award winner, Stephanie White, on your team.

She got fired years later from Florida for doing jack squat and was also on White's staff at Vanderbilt that didn't do anything.
Gotcha. So, it you got good players, hell, save the AD some money and don't have a coaching staff. The players got this. Got it.

Except Hammon has 2 championships and isn't a sub 50% winner in the WNBA.

That's true. But with Hammon's roster, it would be hard to lose. WTBS, I like Hammon very much and would be thrilled if she was hired. But she's unproven in the college game. Remember, pro coaches don't pick their players.

Gotcha. So, it you got good players, hell, save the AD some money and don't have a coaching staff. The players got this. Got it.

No, I'm saying Peck was handed a roster full of AAs and was only a HC there for two years. When she had to build her on roster in Florida, in the SEC, she did nothing.

She's had two years of results and that's it. Great results but not sustained, and the reason for that is crystal clear.

Also she hasn't been a HC since 2007.

Reactions: VolFuture
I agree with this but the fact that you're saying this about Freese but saying Peck is a good coach is LOL-worthy
If we go back to the original post of why Carolyn Peck is even in my mentions right now is to defend against the fact that someone said she wasn't a good coach. I'm not lobbying her to be our coach AT ALL. But BF won her championship back in 2006 and with her, I feel like since then, she has never been able to get over the hump and get back to the party. So LOL away.

Same situation with Hammon, TBH.
The difference is that every elite player knows who Becky Hammon is, and what she's capable of as a head coach.

She'd bring in recruits off her reputation in the pros alone. We know she's excellent with the X's and O's, particularly in close playoff matches, so we know she'd win against good teams. There is alot more to college coaching than X's and O's, of course, especially with a legacy program, but I'd be willing to give her the chance.

Uh, what? She’s 99-33 the last 4 seasons that’s a 75% win percentage, which is her career win percentage. Again, LOL what.

She loses to the portal, but guess what? SHE. STILL. WINS. Last season she went 28-7, that’s damn good for someone that losses a lot to the portal.

This season is the only “down” season she had.

“Hasn’t won in a minute” by a minute you mean 28-7 last season. Just hilarious
28-7 is not where we need to be.

SC: 36-0
LSU: 31-6
UConn: 33-5
Iowa: 33-4

If we go back to the original post of why Carolyn Peck is even in my mentions right now is to defend against the fact that someone said she wasn't a good coach. I'm not lobbying her to be our coach AT ALL. But BF won her championship back in 2006 and with her, I feel like since then, she has never been able to get over the hump and get back to the party. So LOL away.

Peck isn't a good coach. I said what I said and I stand by it. Winning a NC back in the 90s with another coach's players doesn't make someone a good coach. But you made her NC out to be a big deal while downplaying Freese's, despite hers being later and having more sustained success at Maryland. Freese isn't that great of a coach, either (but she's a great recruiter), but she's a much better coach than Peck. Which is why she is still coaching and Peck hasn't been a HC since her failed stint at Florida.

Freese, to me, is an okay coach. She had a team full of underclassmen in 2006 and never got back to the FF with them. She's been a few other times since then, though. But she's slimy as hell. Kept contacting Candace Parker even after she was signed at UT (which is a violation). Allegedly there was shady happening with Sade Wiley-Gatewood, too. Walz is slimy as hell, too. I'm sure he learned it from her as he was her assistant for years and was an assistant on that 2006 team.

Reactions: Lucy

VN Store

Back