Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Whoever we get, they need to have a name that's hard to remember/pronounce/spell so we can use a cool abbreviation: Mox. Yo. K. Abe. Jack.

Either that or a trendy or cool nickname: Jimbo. Lefty. Geno. Muffett. Cal. Dabo. Stack. Buttermaker.

Last edited:
I know Rueck had a couple of down years, but prior to the pandemic he had 4 straight Sweet 16s, including one Final 4 appearance and an Elite 8. I've always enjoyed watching his teams, dating back to when they were in Knoxville in 2014 (but maybe less so when they beat us on our home court in the 2nd round of the tournament in 2018!).
I was looking at last 5 years finished like 5th, 5th, 8th,10th, 4th in PAC 10.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Calm down. Not sure what you are so hostile about.
Who said I was hostile? Providing factual context to your illogical standard is not hostility.

Not to mention the pure irony of saying a recent 28-7 record isn't good enough but the person you want, Gail Goestenkors, not winning more than 22 games, not making it past the second round, and having a losing or .500 conference record in 4/5 seasons at Texas and not having been a head coach since 2012 😂

I know you don’t mean it this way but why is it always okay to hate on the older women who were such stalwart supporters of this program. These are women of my mother’s generation and very few are left. Yet on here it is okay to blame them for any miscue. Would it be okay to pick on any other gender/age group and use a derogatory name to id them? Wish we could just appreciate their support when WBB was in its infancy and leave the few remaining in peace.
okay, but that group is a big reason why we haven’t gone after better coaches. I understand Holly, she was Pat’s right hand woman for years. But Harper was the result of “we only want a woman, and we really prefer she be a former player of Pat” and that came from those who worship Debbie.

Who said I was hostile? Providing factual context to your illogical standard is not hostility.

Not to mention the pure irony of saying a recent 28-7 record isn't good enough but the person you want, Gail Goestenkors, not winning more than 22 games, not making it past the second round, and having a losing or .500 conference record in 4/5 seasons at Texas and not having been a head coach since 2012 😂
It's ok, breathe.

Attachments

• hysterical.PNG
    hysterical.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
28-7 is not where we need to be.

SC: 36-0
LSU: 31-6
UConn: 33-5
Iowa: 33-4
Ok well if those are the records (Ws/Ls) you are looking for the closest coach to that bill is Fortier.

(23/24) = 32-4 (16-0 in conference) wins 81% of her games over 10 years. Although technically mid major, Gonzaga isn’t exactly the same as other mid majors as they play tough non-con schedules.

Giving her our resources and facilities, recruiting footprint, finances, NIL, etc… she would be a great hire!

Her worst year was 19-14 and only other year less than 26 wins was during Covid 23-4 that year. For 8+ years at least 26 win minimum is impressive regardless of competition. She’s averages 27 wins a year. 265/10= 26.5

It's ok, breathe.
😂😂 classic gaslighting. You realize I'm right but can't admit it, so you resort to calling me "hostile." If you're going to say something not-smart, be prepared for other people to point it out. Have a great day! 😂

Ok well if those are the records (Ws/Ls) you are looking for the closest coach to that bill is Fortier.

(23/24) = 32-4 (16-0 in conference) wins 81% of her games over 10 years. Although technically mid major, Gonzaga isn’t exactly the same as other mid majors as they play tough non-con schedules.

Giving her our resources and facilities, recruiting footprint, finances, NIL, etc… she would be a great hire!

Her worst year was 19-14 and only other year less than 26 wins was during Covid 23-4 that year. For 8+ years at least 26 win minimum is impressive regardless of competition. She’s averages 27 wins a year. 265/10= 26.5

That is impressive, for sure. Do you think that could translate over to the SEC?

Reactions: Lucy
Also, I've been told Hammon doesn't want to coach in college because she doesn't want to deal with recruiting.

Who told you that? She has been a relentless competitor everywhere she’s been, and does not take no for an answer. People like that do just fine at recruiting.

I didn't say that she wouldn't do well recruiting, just that I've been told she may not want to deal with it. And I wouldn't blame her because with NIL, the transfer portal, etc. it's become quite nightmarish. And the person that told me is a close friend who has followed recruiting and WBB since the 90s and has ties to AAU.

I like Becky very much and would be very happy if she came here. She is #1 on my list, as a matter of fact. My only question is: would she want to come? My answer is: I hope so.

Reactions: lfvol and ttharp
I disagree with the options you propose. I think we can lure someone great out of retirement who is older and more proven who could bring the goods. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it...GAIL GOESTENKORS!!!
Ok, y'all, ready, aim, fire! Especially TrueVol, I think it is, who is especially triggered by Gail. 😂
This is so similar to Gruden for football coach.

Reactions: Raebo and Ratvol
This is so similar to Gruden for football coach.
Uhm she actually coached basketball, but ok. But while you're here, but I've been seeing this Gruden thing and I don't understand. Can you give me the cliffnotes version of why his name is even in the mix? Is it an inside joke?

I didn't say that she wouldn't do well recruiting, just that I've been told she may not want to deal with it. And I wouldn't blame her because with NIL, the transfer portal, etc. it's become quite nightmarish. And the person that told me is a close friend who has followed recruiting and WBB since the 90s and has ties to AAU.

I like Becky very much and would be very happy if she came here. She is #1 on my list, as a matter of fact. My only question is: would she want to come? My answer is: I hope so.
She has said in the past that basically coaching college basketball is beneath her. I don’t know if that is still her opinion, but she seems very tied to coaching professionally. She does not seem to have any affinity for the college game, and I’m told has even declined opportunities to appear in television coverage as an analyst.

She has some high caliber wins too.. Utah, Stanford, UT, UCLA, etc

She’s intriguing for sure

VolFuture, thanks for your knowledgeable posts. Perhaps you can help clear up some confusion on my part. It has been frequently stated on this board that DW had everything in place before firing Kellie, yet it seems if that were the case we would already know the answer barring the new coach still being in the Final Four. In that scenario it’s either Moore or Bluder. If negotiations are ongoing, why was DW said to have a successor in place? I know you have an idea as to the choice, but why the slowness? Thank you for your input!

Reactions: Lucy
People talking about luring coaches out of retirement must either hate McGraw or think there's no way she'd consider.

Most qualified coach not currently employed in coaching. Two NC, 9 FF, National COY x 4, you name it. The bane of Auriemma and thorn in CONN 's side.

Would need a young hotshot sidekick like Ivey and maybe was already losing her mojo when she retired, but she had the goods as recently as 2018.

VolFuture, thanks for your knowledgeable posts. Perhaps you can help clear up some confusion on my part. It has been frequently stated on this board that DW had everything in place before firing Kellie, yet it seems if that were the case we would already know the answer barring the new coach still being in the Final Four. In that scenario it’s either Moore or Bluder. If negotiations are ongoing, why was DW said to have a successor in place? I know you have an idea as to the choice, but why the slowness? Thank you for your input!
Well both can be true… he could have his top choices lined up and ready to interview but also want to take time to throughly review their candidacy.

Also there’s agreements to be met on both sides. And imo it would be a waste to not let others stick their heads in and see. Network and build relationships with up and comers and such. A week is a VERY fast timeline. We’re what? Day 3…

He wants to do this right. I will say it’s probably good that it’s not moving quicker bc that means more money is involved meaning a better coach. Just speculation tho.

Frese would be a great hire. She is very competitive, tough-minded, successful. I recall some of the Maryland teams in her first several years as being national-title contenders---and she beat us in an Elite Eight game in Warlick's second or third year, when we collapsed in the 2nd half. A strong program. I haven't heard as much from Maryland in recent years and my vague impression is that the program had fallen off. Wrong. The Terps weren't great this year--but the previous four years were all very strong, with a dominant conference record. She got beat by SC in the NCAA year before last, then the year before that lost to Stanford in the NCAA, and the year before that to Texas. So she's had the Terps in title contention.

She's 53 and might like a change of pace. She'd be an outstanding hire. She's got the personality that we need--meaning pretty tough.
Brenda last won a championship in 2006. Guess who was her lead assistant. Jeff Walz.

People talking about luring coaches out of retirement must either hate McGraw or think there's no way she'd consider.

Most qualified coach not currently employed in coaching. Two NC, 9 FF, National COY x 4, you name it. The bane of Auriemma and thorn in CONN 's side.

Would need a young hotshot sidekick like Ivey and maybe was already losing her mojo when she retired, but she had the goods as recently as 2018.
I hate Muppet ✋ butttt I won’t lie and say she wouldnt be a phenomenal hire on paper…

I don’t think she wants any part of NIL or the Portal.. heck it almost pushed Geno to retirement and may get Tara this offseason after limited postseason success

Danny White probably had his budget and some NIL commitments from donors ready to go before he made the move, but the idea that he knew who he was going to hire or already had “everything in place” before he made the move is not in any way accurate.

I’m sure he had a list of five or six names that he wanted to target, interview, investigate further, all of that. But that takes time even if you know who those people are and are ready to speak to their agents. And those people certainly have the opportunity to go back to their current bosses and get a raise off of it.

VN Store

Back