Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Becky Hammond would be a solid hire. I just worry about recruiting in the long run. Does she know basketball and how to coach pro athletes? Yes, but in the long run will she be sustainable. I think we need someone who is proven to win and recruit at the final four and elite level year in and out. Not really a Staley fan at all, but I would be all in if she came to the big orange.

why would any self-respecting lady vol fan ever ask for kim mulkey to coach on pat's court. she is the TOTAL opposite of what pat represented and what it means to be a lady vol. let's just get real. it's not happening and ut does not want her.
She loved Pat. And besides how do you know TN doesn’t want her?

If Becky Hammond makes $1 million in the WNBA, I'd make her say no to $2-3.million per year and give her a 5 year deal.
I will ask her again. Why do some of you think she would be a good hire? Take out the Pop loves her. What has she done at the college level that makes anyone think she can succeed here?

Reactions: Lucy
I wonder what Hammon’s buyout is.
I don't believe Hammons comes here to coach. College job is 12 months a year, travel and restrictions.

At least in WNBA there is a time for rest and relaxation.
Also unless she is the GM she doesn't have to worry about offering contracts to free agents or re-signing the teams FA.

Reactions: Raebo and glv98
I will ask her again. Why do some of you think she would be a good hire? Take out the Pop loves her. What has she done at the college level that makes anyone think she can succeed here?
Here’s my train of thought on Hammond.
1) She’s a helluva coach. She can develop players and she knows how to win on the biggest stage.
2) She’s got experience as a player, assistant, and a head coach.
3) The hire alone would boost the brand and marketing via the media coverage that comes with her hire—something the LV program needs right now.
4) Recruiting is her major albatross specifically because she’s never really been a recruiter. But I’d argue the Heupel effect here. CJH wasn’t known for his recruiting prowess, but he’s one Hell of a developer, which in the college game, regardless of sport, is arguably more important. And look at the success he’s had, and with that success, look at how recruiting has improved. So ultimately with success comes the recruits.

All that to say, I think Hammond is a solid get. My top two are her and the coach from USC (I can’t spell the name ha!). After that, I like the guy from Louisville and if we get past those two, I’m nervous.

You will know what you have in year three.
I still maintain we'll know what we have by day 3. Not talking about actual results, of course, but we'll know the timeline. If it's an actual home run who brings key players and gets interest fm the portal, we have a one or two yr window where we'll see actual progress. If it's a fall back hire wo bringing significant players, we're on a 3-5 yr plan and that's a "maybe."

If you are expecting a new coach to be bringing AA players in tow I think you will be disappointed. If the new coach is a great recruiter (why hire someone if they are not, only way to compete) you will know what you have in year three after they have a few classes under their belt and you can see a couple of years of coaching ability from the sidelines as well as development of players and system. You won’t know anything at all in the next few weeks and very little after the first year or two. Year three is long enough to fill out an initial report card.

Payne is probably in the discussions

She was born in Jackson, Tennessee. Her overall record is not that good, and outside of the last three years you might even characterize it as underwhelming.

If you are expecting a new coach to be bringing AA players in tow I think you will be disappointed. If the new coach is a great recruiter (why hire someone if they are not, only way to compete) you will know what you have in year three after they have a few classes under their belt and you can see a couple of years of coaching ability from the sidelines as well as development of players and system. You won’t know anything at all in the next few weeks and very little after the first year or two. Year three is long enough to fill out an initial report card.
Agree to disagree. What you describe, a few classes under the belt, sounds like the old model, and the mid pack SEC model. It's all different now. I feel like we've been promised a faster track with a big hire.

If the Va Tech players in the portal and the KY players in the portal all go to KY, they know what they have in Kenny Brooks. Again, I'm not saying on court wins in that period obviously. But we'll know quickly if we have a coach impact players want to come here for or not. Of course they don't have to be AA, and that system is badly discredited now anyway. But a solid core.

If not, if we're basically going with current roster plus a mid or two fm the portal, it will be a long, slow build that we could have kept Kellie for. And I'm in no way saying that coach doesn't deserve support. It just feels like what was the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52

This was the standard prior to the transfer portal and the immediate playing restrictions being lifted.

Kim Mulkey changed the game when she won a championship in year two at LSU. Just not how it works anymore. It’s officially pay to play so if we pay the right coach the right amount there is almost a guarantee players are coming with them.

Reactions: vols90 and glv98
Agree to disagree. What you describe, a few classes under the belt, sounds like the old model, and the mid pack SEC model. It's all different now. I feel like we've been promised a faster track with a big hire.

If the Va Tech players in the portal and the KY players in the portal all go to KY, they know what they have in Kenny Brooks. Again, I'm not saying on court wins in that period obviously. But we'll know quickly if we have a coach impact players want to come here for or not. Of course they don't have to be AA, and that system is badly discredited now anyway. But a solid core.

If not, if we're basically going with current roster plus a mid or two, it will be a long, slow build that we could have kept Kellie for. And I'm in no way saying that coach doesn't deserve support. It just feels like what was the point.
Except that after 5 seasons the AD made the judgement call that he needed new leadership to get the team to a higher level, which I think a majority of the LV fans agree with. CKH has a long career of results and if you were hoping for a 180 in the next few seasons than you and your AD see it differently.

This was the standard prior to the transfer portal and the immediate playing restrictions being lifted.

Kim Mulkey changed the game when she won a championship in year two at LSU. Just not how it works anymore. It’s officially pay to play so if we pay the right coach the right amount there is almost a guarantee players are coming with them.
I hate when we start the day agreeing lol

As long as the home run hire bringing impact players doesn't have a family member on staff, right?

Except that after 5 seasons the AD made the judgement call that he needed new leadership to get the team to a higher level, which I think a majority of the LV fans agree with. CKH has a long career of results and if you were hoping for a 180 in the next few seasons than you and your AD see it differently.

Yall getting a little worried in Columbia aren’t you? I can sense it 😉

Reactions: vols90

So the NIL issue I have read about the past two years on this site has been fixed? There is ample $ now that CKH is gone? Donors were just waiting on the AD to make a move?

VN Store

Back