Kim Caldwell is the Future for LV's

I mean it's Marshall vs VA Tech, that ain't exactly a level playing field. How many players on that Marshall team were ACC caliber?? Tbh this current roster is probably has the most talent she has ever had on 1 team.
Talent and size for sure!

Reactions: krichunaka
To be fair, you don't have to dig deep. There's no deep to dig. The VT game and an early season awful game against Wake Forest are the only Marshall games available to watch. Also, sometimes one game can say it all, hell even 1.1 seconds can say it all, right?

That said, I don't think the VT meltdown is the complete story on CKC or Marshall at all. But it does raise a legit concern - what happens against a more talented team who doesn't allow you to control tempo. Reasonable to think that will happen alot in the SEC. But the good news is the experienced SEC asst coaches are well aware of that and I'm sure a better plan B is in the works.
They did control the tempo in the game…. forcing VA Tech to play faster than they were use too… Marshall was overwhelmed physically which shouldn’t be a problem at Tennessee.

They did control the tempo in the game…. forcing VA Tech to play faster than they were use too… Marshall was overwhelmed physically which shouldn’t be a problem at Tennessee.
Marshall shot a season worse 24% on 78 shots including 6-41 (14%) from 3 to Techs 54% on 52 shots including 10-23 (43%) from 3 along with Tech making 21 more free throws. Those were the difference makers. They were never able to take one of their signature runs. Marshall was only out rebounded 43-40 on the strength of 20 offensive rebounds against a much taller VA Tech squad. No one on the 24' Marshall squad would see any significant minutes for UT.

I mean it's Marshall vs VA Tech, that ain't exactly a level playing field. How many players on that Marshall team were ACC caliber?? Tbh this current roster is probably has the most talent she has ever had on 1 team.

100%! Unless we scrimmage the Olympic women's team at some point this year, there will not be a talent mismatch as large as there was in that game.

She’ll be on the hot seat in two years. Bank
Please wait a minute. I would like to know what you base your prediction on. You are being way too negative without anything to base your assumption on. I believe CKC will surprise you based on her prior successes. I think it is best to wait before you make bold predictions.

If you want to be rationale about things (I know reasonableness is an insane concept to introduce on a fan board) but, we have to make contingent assessments based on available info

To this point, CKC has absolutely crushed every early test -- making herself known, assistant coach hires, retaining key players, winning in the portal. I suppose the only big agenda item before pre-season would be making some headway in high school recruiting but it would not all that alarming if that box gets ticked more next year.

My concern coming had been that CKC's lack of direct connections to the P5 world would be a barrier in this very critical transfer window and that clearly has proven not be the case.

Last edited:
We're 3 pages into a lame thread started by someone who stated that Caldwell "is the future" of the women's basketball program. Huh, now that
you mention it, since she was just hired, yes, she would be the future of the program. Amazing analysis. A thread about nothing--but make sure you're
"on board"!

We're 3 pages into a lame thread started by someone who stated that Caldwell "is the future" of the women's basketball program. Huh, now that
you mention it, since she was just hired, yes, she would be the future of the program. Amazing analysis. A thread about nothing--but make sure you're
"on board"!
You make a fair point but I think it is kind of cool to see so much enthusiasm and excitement around the program and new coach. The potential risk is that people will over react in the opposite direction if the LVs struggle in the month of November (as CKC has said her terms tend to do).

E

Reactions: Bret178
And you seem to have a ton of unwarranted hate. Why is that?

Don’t care. Why does making a prediction warrant hate? Let’s wait and see what happens. I’m still banking that she’ll be on hot seat after season two. The only way to see if that is true is to wait.

If you want to be rationale about things (I know reasonableness is an insane concept to introduce on a fan board) but, we have to make contingent assessments based on available info

To this point, CKC has absolutely crushed every early test -- making herself known, assistant coach hires, retaining key players, winning in the portal. I suppose the only big agenda item before pre-season would be making some headway in high school recruiting but it would not all that alarming if that box gets ticked more next year.

My concern coming had been that CKC's lack of direct connections to the P5 world would be a barrier in this very critical transfer window and that clearly has proven not be the case.
This, on every count. She's done everything anyone could hope she would do. Kept every returning player but one, added four very good players in the portal, and she's brought a level of excitement to the program I haven't seen in about 15 years. As far as HS recruiting goes, there's no way she wasn't going to be behind the 8-ball there, and she might not even recruit the same players Kellie would have wanted. But I'll say this--she came in here, no one really knows who she is, one year of D1 experience, and she made hay in the portal against established programs and coaches. Kim Caldwell is either going to be a hell of a coach, or failing that, she has a great fallback as a confidence trickster, because she's gotten full buy-in from Danny White and a lot of players and fans already.

i think marshall likely choked a bit to be honest. the moment seemed too big for them. and frankly, given the talent difference, it was. i wouldn't read much into the box score. the variables are too different to matter much.
Being under sized by 4-6 inches around the perimeter can affect your three point shooting. /js

All that matters is the administrations feelings on her performance…. the fans opinion won’t matter.
Actual fan opinions do matter. In my opinion, the majority fans wanted a change and now the majority fans are positively behind the new coach. Some on here just like to be miserable. It takes more muscles to frown than smile. Serenity prayer is a good one to read.

Actual fan opinions do matter. In my opinion, the majority fans wanted a change and now the majority fans are positively behind the new coach. Some on here just like to be miserable. It takes more muscles to frown than smile. Serenity prayer is a good one to read.
Asses in seats definitely matters. I’m expecting a marked increase in attendance this winter.

To be fair, you don't have to dig deep. There's no deep to dig. The VT game and an early season awful game against Wake Forest are the only Marshall games available to watch. Also, sometimes one game can say it all, hell even 1.1 seconds can say it all, right?

That said, I don't think the VT meltdown is the complete story on CKC or Marshall at all. But it does raise a legit concern - what happens against a more talented team who doesn't allow you to control tempo. Reasonable to think that will happen alot in the SEC. But the good news is the experienced SEC asst coaches are well aware of that and I'm sure a better plan B is in the works.
Stay strong in your rally against the Caldwell hire. Tennessee didn’t do well against VT the last two times we played, not sure we need to throw another program under the bus.

Last edited:
Asses in seats definitely matters. I’m expecting a marked increase in attendance this winter.
Attendance was up last year,hopefully that trend continues this season.
Stay strong in your rally against the Caldwell hire. Tennessee didn’t do well against VT the last two times we played, not sure we need to throw another program under the bus.
What part of "not the complete story on CKC or Marshall but one of only two games available to watch" felt like throwing under the bus?LOL not at all a "rally against the hire". But your so predictable "nanny nanny boo boo they did to it too" answer IS a rally against the last staff. There is no competition btw the two left in the real world; hope you guys who want to wrap the new staff in velveteen against any question can relax into that reality soon.

VN Store

Back