Kids going to school high

More and More Teenagers Are Coming to School High, N.Y.C. Teachers Say

This is nuts. I'm surprised this would even happen. I'm shocked I tells ya,,, shocked.

Vaping and edibles are a major issue in schools. They are nearly impossible to track and they know how to lace vapes with fentanyl or THC. There is going to be a major teacher shortage in the next decade or so. The pay isn't worth the headache and discipline is virtually non-existent. Many students with IEP's are not disabled learners, they are discipline issues which has affected their learning. The other major problem with that besides the obvious one is a student with an IEP is nearly impossible to suspend so they virtually get away with anything. I have been teaching since 2005 and it has changed dramatically in the last 18 years of so. I honestly can't remember how many teachers have quit or retired early in that same time frame. There are no substitute teachers because the pay is paltry compared to the hassle which means we have to cover other classes and coverage in the bathrooms or other common areas in non existent much of the time due to understaffing.

Vaping and edibles are a major issue in schools. They are nearly impossible to track and they know how to lace vapes with fentanyl or THC. There is going to be a major teacher shortage in the next decade or so. The pay isn't worth the headache and discipline is virtually non-existent. Many students with IEP's are not disabled learners, they are discipline issues which has affected their learning. The other major problem with that besides the obvious one is a student with an IEP is nearly impossible to suspend so they virtually get away with anything. I have been teaching since 2005 and it has changed dramatically in the last 18 years of so. I honestly can't remember how many teachers have quit or retired early in that same time frame. There are no substitute teachers because the pay is paltry compared to the hassle which means we have to cover other classes and coverage in the bathrooms or other common areas in non existent much of the time due to understaffing.

As a teacher you are, according to several regular posters, a lazy communist indoctrinator who only works one-third of the year.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Unfortunately, some are but most aren’t
From what I can tell very few are concerned about indoctrinating children, most work 10-12 hour days during the school year, and after you count in-service, etc, work as many days per year as any other job that gets an average amount of personal days.

Your work is appreciated by some.

I think you've always had those kids but then it was few and far between. Now, it's way more tolerated and praised. I've always said that I'll never worry about my losing my job when I get older to to the younger generation, they don't or can't work
It was about 50% when i was in school and that was long ago. Most of the freaks turned out well.
People tend to underestimate vice and crime levels of previous generations. It must be from watching Happy Days or something. Folks partied but they advertised it less.

Reactions: LouderVol
Loservol trying to convince everyone he was one of the " cool kids " in highschool.
Probably got a hummer from the first year teacher as well.....right. lol

Aloha, Mr. Hand

“Fast Times at Ridgemont High” or “Dazed and Confused” must be making comebacks on streaming services

Aloha, Mr. Hand

“Fast Times at Ridgemont High” or “Dazed and Confused” must be making comebacks on streaming services

Yeah, it has to be tough. The trend of our culture is not good

I went to East High School in Nashville my freshman year (74-75). They have two buildings and students had classes in both buildings and were also allowed to go outside during lunch. My best friend and I would go outside most days during lunch and he would almost always light up a joint. It was the fourth year of bussing in Nashville. My friend was black and we were both on the freshman basketball team. Our starting five were all black and the second five were all white. The coach would frequently substitute by calling for the white team.

I went to Meigs in eighth grade. There were two shootings at the school that year and three girls out of the 15 in my homeroom were pregnant at some point during the year.

I went to Bailey in 7th grade (it was nothing but a 7th grade). We were the Bailey Bombers....imagine that today (my dad actually went to junior high there in the early 50s.. I was an official hall monitor (the Bomber Patrol) which meant I got out of class a couple of minutes early to "monitor" the hallways and restrooms. A friend of mine who was also on the Bomber Patrol would bring a flask of wine everyday and we would drink it in the restroom before the rest of the kids were released from class.

Last story: that same year at Bailey, I was one of two teacher aides for an art teacher during her planning period, the other aide was a black girl, we were frequently left in the art room unsupervised and she taught me plenty.

When people talk about how much worse things are today than they were in the "good ol' days", I just have to chuckle.

The culture and discipline is a far cry from what it was even two decades ago much less 50 years ago

One of our best pitchers in school wasn't much unless he was pretty lit before the game. Not condoning the behavior but it was great for our team.

The same people in here who are shocked at high schoolers getting stoned are 100% the same people who sat alone in the cafeteria in high school.

Kids have been getting drunk and high since the beginning of time but we got trashed on the weekends. Very few showed up stoned at school and they were literally known as the Stoners. There is a time and place to unwind and in the job (school is their job) is not the place.

Kids have been getting drunk and high since the beginning of time but we got trashed on the weekends. Very few showed up stoned at school and they were literally known as the Stoners. There is a time and place to unwind and in the job (school is their job) is not the place.

Probably varies from school to school but yours sounds very much derived from TV/movie tropes. We had athletes, rich kids, and poor kids getting stoned in the parking lots before, during, and after school hours.

No one is arguing that it is what one *should* do. You have people arguing that this is new, and another arguing what has actually been happening for decades.

Why is the music always so loud in bars? I go converse with friends and have a point, not listen to some garage band.

I went to East High School in Nashville my freshman year (74-75). They have two buildings and students had classes in both buildings and were also allowed to go outside during lunch. My best friend and I would go outside most days during lunch and he would almost always light up a joint. It was the fourth year of bussing in Nashville. My friend was black and we were both on the freshman basketball team. Our starting five were all black and the second five were all white. The coach would frequently substitute by calling for the white team.

I went to Meigs in eighth grade. There were two shootings at the school that year and three girls out of the 15 in my homeroom were pregnant at some point during the year.

I went to Bailey in 7th grade (it was nothing but a 7th grade). We were the Bailey Bombers....imagine that today (my dad actually went to junior high there in the early 50s.. I was an official hall monitor (the Bomber Patrol) which meant I got out of class a couple of minutes early to "monitor" the hallways and restrooms. A friend of mine who was also on the Bomber Patrol would bring a flask of wine everyday and we would drink it in the restroom before the rest of the kids were released from class.

Last story: that same year at Bailey, I was one of two teacher aides for an art teacher during her planning period, the other aide was a black girl, we were frequently left in the art room unsupervised and she taught me plenty.

When people talk about how much worse things are today than they were in the "good ol' days", I just have to chuckle.
1. yes
2. clearly it wasn't math or logic

I'm finishing 33rd year in the classroom. Good luck if you stick with it. I don't know how much longer I'll go, have a few years left before SS.
To a large extent, IEPs have always been that way (based on my experience at least).
In the 90s and before you started teaching, the issue was pill snorting through the hollow part of a pen...in class...with powder on the kid's nose...wondering then what the "discipline" would be.
We face similar issues in monitoring bathrooms....went to another high school last year for a school event and the bathrooms were unisex...my first time ever seeing those....have them a little closer home and have some friends who teach there who say it's pretty much impossible to stop the edibles and vaping in those "vaults."

Are you talking about bars with live music or house music?
House music. For that matter, live music is always too loud as well. I always wear earplugs when I go to a live venue. It sucks to have to yell at my friends over house music. And before you start, I have lost a ton of hearing from being around jet engines for almost 40 years.

House music. For that matter, live music is always too loud as well. I always wear earplugs when I go to a live venue. It sucks to have to yell at my friends over house music. And before you start, I have lost a ton of hearing from being around jet engines for almost 40 years.

I get it. I avoid live music venues unless I'm going to see the band play. Most bars with high house volume are either sports bars/chains, or niche clubs like mine. I wouldn't go to my bar unless I was there to sing. I typically go to non sports bars to watch sports if that makes sense. I'll pop my ear buds in and listen to the game cast while watching it on their tv.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol

VN Store

Back