Kevin Sumlin

LOL same thing could be said about Gundy’s style of football. Sumlin is better fit for the Big XII, but I think he’s a good coach who could do great things at the flagship state institutions where he’s not playing 2nd fiddle to Texas. While Gundy was 2-10 vs Big Game Bob and Oklahoma.

Probably. I hate that kind of football, if you want to call it that. I wish LSU played those type of teams every week Oregon, Texas Tech, Ok. State, Baylor, Louisville, Texas A&M, Missouri, etc.

Those are easy victories, but people keep on thinking that it works.... not really, not against the good defenses... it usually fails miserably. imo

Troy > LSU > Texas A&M

:lolabove:

More worried about LSU playing Troy than I am Texas A&M. LOL

Last edited:
He is my first choice. He's bound to be feeling pretty low right now. I would send Coach Fulmer down to sell him on the upside of coming to Knoxville. I think you could get him for the right price at this time. And don't forget, he whipped Bammer. Let the healing begin.

There is nothing Kevin Sumlin did to beat Alabama. Johnny Manziel and Kliff Kingsbury did that. Look at what's happened when Sumlin hasn't had Manziel or Kingsbury. 59-0, etc. Gets his ass kicked every year.

I'm an Aggie. I've watched his coaching decisions for 6 years. He's a worse game day coach than Butch. Consider that.

In short, he sucks.

There is nothing Kevin Sumlin did to beat Alabama. Johnny Manziel and Kliff Kingsbury did that. Look at what's happened when Sumlin hasn't had Manziel or Kingsbury. 59-0, etc. Gets his ass kicked every year.

I'm an Aggie. I've watched his coaching decisions for 6 years. He's a worse game day coach than Butch. Consider that.

In short, he sucks.

I see it more as a failure more on the defensive side of the ball based on the offensive scheme ran, when LSU plays them the players don't even know what a pulling Guard looks like or a FB lead. Its all new to them because they don't even have these formations let alone the personnel that can lay some wood in practice.

The powder puff offense, makes the defense powder puff... that is what they have to practice against... and it shows up.

Texas A&M was not going to get out the SEC West with that kind offensive scheme. imo

Reactions: 1 person

So, with that logic, Fulmer never beat Bammer, it was all Peyton.

You can't have it both ways, if you blame the coach for losing, you have to credit him for winning.

So, with that logic, Fulmer never beat Bammer, it was all Peyton.

You can't have it both ways, if you blame the coach for losing, you have to credit him for winning.

Yes, I can. They won despite his lack of coaching when they had Manziel. It is not as if Manziel running around competing passes and running for td's was in the context of the offense. It was street ball. You can't coach that.

You saw what happened when Manziel left. The offense regressed, despite multiple 5 star QB's.

The defense was pretty good the first year despite the offense, so the "defense wasn't good because of the type of offense" doesn't hold water.

Clemson runs a similar offense, yet, their defense is good. There are other examples out there.

I've watched the program for 30 years. I know Sumlin as a coach. I've watched individual decisions he's made. He gave up a 44-10 lead against a bad UCLA team. That's inexcusable. Had the QB simply kneeled each snap, A&M wins that game. He has poor clock management, doesn't adjust, etc.

Last edited:
Sumlin isn't going to coach at UT. He and Butch Jones are friends. Butch will poison that well.

I think Sumlin is a good solid coach, but his record at Tam is a downhill slide. Didn't he just finish a 7-5 season?

He's 86-43 over his career, with 5 years at lowly Houston. I believe his record speaks for itself.

How can you take a failure like Sumlin and elevate as a potential 'rock star" coach. As a fan base, we seem to regress when things seem desperate. It's time to look up, not down. We need a proven winner, not a proven loser.

How can you take a failure like Sumlin and elevate as a potential 'rock star" coach. As a fan base, we seem to regress when things seem desperate. It's time to look up, not down. We need a proven winner, not a proven loser.

Ha, 86-43, a proven loser? Jeez man, the Vols are ONE GAME over .500 in the Kiffin, Dooley, Jones era.

Honestly the thing that scares me the most is that he'd have to deal with the racist BS from 1 or 2 dumb rednecks that he had to deal with at A&M. Especially after a few losses. Real shame that we even have to mention that in 2017.
and so would Tee

His SEC record is right around .500. That sucks. He gets lots of wins against patsies, whom A&M plays every year.

Take the Manziel years out - and he's under .500 in the SEC. Mediocre and Average.

Ha, 86-43, a proven loser? Jeez man, the Vols are ONE GAME over .500 in the Kiffin, Dooley, Jones era.

He was coaching in Conference USA. Not exactly the SEC. the one year he didn't have Keenum he went 5-7. He only succeeds with other coach's talent. What has he done with his own talent? 8-4, 8-4, 7-5. Regression.

A&M last 6 yrs:
11-2
9-4
8-5
8-5
8-5
7-5

TN last 6 yrs:
5-7
5-7
7-6
9-4
9-4
4-8

i'll take 51-26 over 39-36. especially under the current circumstances.

would be improvement over Butch....but...

he lost 3 of the last 4 games against Dan Mullen's Miss. St Bulldogs. That does not bode well for our future against Dan Mullen's Florida Gators.

Just bring in Miles for 3 years (with Tee or another hotshot OC signed on as Coach in Waiting). Steady the ship, let Miles retire with more dignity than we gave Fulmer and promote the new guy. Long range plan - sure beats planning to pay another buyout in 3 years or destroying the legacy of another favorite son

VN Store

Back