Kevin Steele. One of the worst coaches in NCAA History...

He was a head coach 19 years ago. Clearly wasn't ready. He hadn't even been a DC yet. Silly to judge him off of that in 2021. Gene Stallings was also a terrible head coach at Texas A&M when he was young before he became a Hall of Fame coach at Bama.

Steele was one of the better DCs in the SEC. There's a reason some people at Auburn wanted him for Head Coach. But doesn't matter since he isn't DC anyway; he's likely coaching LBs.

Great hire IMO. Of the many things I'm worried about in UT football right now, this isn't one of them.

Last edited:
I know this is all a moot point, because as far as we know right now, Steele will be a position coach. But, the story from that Clemson Orange Bowl loss that Steele freaked out while WVU was hanging 70 on their heads and he started calling plays from his time at Baylor is laugh out loud funny. Just a total meltdown on the sideline.

Reactions: BUBear
Tell me about all his accolades and accomplishments as a coach......cant wait

He has had some decent defenses. A quick google produced the following:

Auburn allowed no more than 19.5 points per game in any of Steele's first four seasons. He was named a finalist for the Broyles Award, given to the nation's top assistant coach, in 2017 — his best defensive season statistically.

VN Store

Back