Kentucky make a run at Pearl?

I probably should have said that the perception that he committed violations at UMass has clung to him, fairly or not, and many programs don't want to be associated with that perception because of the unwanted scruitiny it might bring. I certainly don't want to accuse someone of doing something that I have no proof of. I just assumed people knew what I was referring to since the story has been out there for so long.
That's fair.

Let's compare the two situations. At UMASS, an NCAA investigation conducted in the wake of the Marcus Camby situation gave John a completely clean bill of ethical health. At UT, an internal investigation was conducted and the head coach and assistant who recruited Tyler Smith were both fired. I'll let that speak for itself.

I don't have evidence, but I want to believe that something shady was going on and that Pearl had the stones to come right in and take out the trash, even if that trash looked like a blue-chip prospect who could put the ball in the basket AND a coach who could get us more players like that.

Absence of evidence of a fact is not evidence of absence of the fact.
Ok, Urban Meyer is the dirtiest coach in college football and a serial killing transvestite. I have exactly the same amount of evidence to prove that that you do to support any allegations of wrongdoing on Cal's part.

I don't claim to have inside info or anything. This is just coming from UK fans in the area. I live in Jacksboro, TN (yeah, I know - you've never heard of it) - but it's north of Knoxville on I-75 toward not too far from the KY border. I get to hear alot of "I like Tennessee in football, but I like Kentucky in basketball." Like I say, this is just what the UK fans I'm hearing are saying. I'm hearing alot of talk about Gillispie (TX A&M), and two people not included on this list - Crean (Marquette) & Few (Gonzaga). Few has had job offers in the past and hasn't wanted to leave Gonzaga, but I wonder if the Kentucky job was offered to him - would it be too much to pass up?

Hey, I know where Jacksboro is, my grandparents live in Lafollette

Let's compare the two situations. At UMASS, an NCAA investigation conducted in the wake of the Marcus Camby situation gave John a completely clean bill of ethical health. At UT, an internal investigation was conducted and the head coach and assistant who recruited Tyler Smith were both fired. I'll let that speak for itself.
Yeah, OJ got a clean bill of health also. :p

Speaking for itself, that says nothing. You imply that the firings could have been a result, at least in part, of that investigation. I am pretty sure Buzz got fired well before any investigation of Tyler Smith. I believe Pearl chose not to keep Benson on his staff. Not to mention, any findings would have had to have been reported to the NCAA. I don't recall hearing about any probation. So I assume we have a clean bill of health as well.

I don't know what has happened, but Freak has been coming with some serious game in this thread. :eek:lol:

You trying to say I've got no game? :lol: I've been secretly watching Matlock reruns all week.

Yeah, OJ got a clean bill of health also. :p

Speaking for itself, that says nothing. You imply that the firings could have been a result, at least in part, of that investigation. I am pretty sure Buzz got fired well before any investigation of Tyler Smith. I believe Pearl chose not to keep Benson on his staff. Not to mention, any findings would have had to have been reported to the NCAA. I don't recall hearing about any probation. So I assume we have a clean bill of health as well.
Then Mike Hamilton is a liar. He publicly stated that there were irregularities in the recruiting of Tyler Smith and that he forwarded UT's findings to the NCAA. Further, since the coaches involved were dismissed and the player in question never enrolled at UT, why would the 'AA need to take further action?

Then Mike Hamilton is a liar. He publicly stated that there were irregularities in the recruiting of Tyler Smith and that he forwarded UT's findings to the NCAA. Further, since the coaches involved were dismissed and the player in question never enrolled at UT, why would the 'AA need to take further action?

Irregularities is not the same as a violation.

Either it was a violation or it wasn't. Did you see the findings that were sent to the NCAA? I don't think the NCAA is going to overlook something like that just because the coach got fired for going 14-17. Coaches leave all the time under allegations of wrong doing and the school still has to pay the piper if the NCAA finds that a violation has occurred.

Hell hat, stop sucking me in. :lol: I don't know why I am even defending this. I think there was something funny about the Tyler Smith recruitment. My point was only that you couldn't prove your allegations any more than somebody could prove the UMass allegations.

Irregularities is not the same as a violation.

Either it was a violation or it wasn't. Did you see the findings that were sent to the NCAA? I don't think the NCAA is going to overlook something like that just because the coach got fired for going 14-17. Coaches leave all the time under allegations of wrong doing and the school still has to pay the piper if the NCAA finds that a violation has occurred.

Hell hat, stop sucking me in. :lol: I don't know why I am even defending this. I think there was something funny about the Tyler Smith recruitment. My point was only that you couldn't prove your allegations any more than somebody could prove the UMass allegations.
That's not exactly true. There are numerous instances where the 'AA considered the dismissal of the offending coach to be sufficient action on the part of an institution and took no further action.

That's not exactly true. There are numerous instances where the 'AA considered the dismissal of the offending coach to be sufficient action on the part of an institution and took no further action.

Really? Can you give an example? I would guess that the infractions would have to be deemed minor for that to be the case.

Really? Can you give an example? I would guess that the infractions would have to be deemed minor for that to be the case.
The first two that come to mind are Jason Rabedeaux at UTEP and Tark at Fresno. Once those two left, one resigning, the other retiring, the 'AA shut down the investigations into both schools.

The first two that come to mind are Jason Rabedeaux at UTEP and Tark at Fresno. Once those two left, one resigning, the other retiring, the 'AA shut down the investigations into both schools.

What team did you coach in AAU in cincy? Prophets or Spirit? I know there are others, but I know those are 2 good programs...

It makes absolutely no sense for Billy D to go there. Why make a lateral move like that? He has gotten UF to a level of being competitive with everyone in the SEC, including Kentucky (in fact, owns the SEC record for most straight wins v. Kentucky at 7). If he goes anywhere -- and I think he will -- its to the NBA.

Its time.

I'll be the stat boy. UF has won 6 straight against UK.

What team did you coach in AAU in cincy? Prophets or Spirit? I know there are others, but I know those are 2 good programs...
That was back in the mid '90s. The team consisted mostly of Woodward and Withrow guys, Damon Flint being the key piece, with a few outsiders like Darnell Burton coming in on occasion. I believe that program went on to become the Spirit.

Fresno received penalties though didn't they, even though Tark stepped down?

I hadn't thought about the Shark in a long time. Man that guy had some history with the NCAA, huh?

That was back in the mid '90s. The team consisted mostly of Woodward and Withrow guys, Damon Flint being the key piece, with a few outsiders like Darnell Burton coming in on occasion. I believe that program went on to become the Spirit.

He could shoot the basketball, and Flint, I bet it was fun coaching those guys...

hat...did you live in Cincy?? My wife is from Loveland...spent a lot of time in the area.

VN Store

Back