Kentucky lost again

Didn’t get to see the game tonight but just finished watching the highlights…that dude for Oakland who looked like he was at least 35 y/o went scorched earth on Kentucky. Couldn’t happen to a better team and a better fanbase!
I loved the interview with the coach and Grohlke afterward, dude was like “nah, not an upset, we aren’t Cinderella, we are belong here and won”. That team believes, you can’t always win on belief but man it sure helps.

The real question for UK fans was why that dude for Oakland is at Oakland and not UK. That is where you start. You need these true scorers in the SEC. Tennessee got Dalton Knecht and he has changed everything. I think the recruiting in the SEC is off and doesn't give teams the players that can win in March.
UK has a bunch of scorers. 3 guys for UK shot better from 3 for the season than the Oakland player and by quite a bit. That’s not the problem.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
He wasn't a starter and averaged 12pts this season. He wasn't a Knecht hiding out
Yeah, that Gohlke kid (middle-aged man) is a nothing burger in 20 of the 30-some games you play in a season, and in the SEC, maybe even less than that. But on this magical night, he cements himself in basketball lore as a stone cold assassin.

Jack Gohlke is Tyreke Key in the SEC.

Yeah, that Gohlke kid (middle-aged man) is a nothing burger in 20 of the 30-some games you play in a season, and in the SEC, maybe even less than that. But on this magical night, he cements himself in basketball lore as a stone cold assassin.

Jack Gohlke is Tyreke Key in the SEC.
Probably been posted but still fun

He wasn't a starter and averaged 12pts this season. He wasn't a Knecht hiding out

Yet he nearly set NCAA record last night. News Flash, the regular season doesn't matter other than to give you a great seed in the tournament. 75% of MBB's audience only watches in March.

SEC is horrible in March so something is off. It seems like they don't have the players these other teams do that advance.

Yet he nearly set NCAA record last night. News Flash, the regular season doesn't matter other than to give you a great seed in the tournament. 75% of MBB's audience only watches in March.

SEC is horrible in March so something is off. It seems like they don't have the players these other teams do that advance.
Yeah, he had a game which happens all the time in the tournament. The regular season actually matters when you're trying to find effective impact players. He'd be on the bench at UK, just like at Oakland, but would never play

Surely you understand that the Oakland-UK result, irrespective of its glory, is the exception, though, right? Jack G. hitting 10 3s in that environment isn't the norm. That guy is a nobody in the SEC. He's the 3rd guy off the bench even at a place like Mizzou. He started 15 of 35 games at Oakland as a 6th year SR after transferring from Hillsdale College. What you saw last night was an aberration. There's no way he does that night in and night out in the SEC, which is the point PJ is trying to make. This isn't a different version of Dalton Knecht hiding in plain site at Oakland University.

Kentucky had success one time I believe with the whole one and done set of players and Calipari keeps trying it and gets booted early in the tournament every year. It’s really fun to watch.
In his press conference last night he mentioned winning national championships…I guess 1 is plural in Kentucky

Surely you understand that the Oakland-UK result, irrespective of its glory, is the exception, though, right? Jack G. hitting 10 3s in that environment isn't the norm. That guy is a nobody in the SEC. He's the 3rd guy off the bench even at a place like Mizzou. He started 15 of 35 games at Oakland as a 6th year SR after transferring from Hillsdale College. What you saw last night was an aberration. There's no way he does that night in and night out in the SEC, which is the point PJ is trying to make. This isn't a different version of Dalton Knecht hiding in plain site at Oakland University.
I would disagree that it's an aberration because there was alot of things out of the norm, but that is what it takes to upset a national title contender. The whole point of March madness is anyone can win any game just ask the old St. Peters team that beat Purdue. An aberration is Covid shutting down the world, an aberration is Butler making a national championship gane run; Kentucky losing a first round game is more the norm then an aberration. Sheppard was held to single digits, and half of these top 10 recruits were invisible. This is just what happens when there is actual pressure.

I would disagree that it's an aberration because there was alot of things out of the norm, but that is what it takes to upset a national title contender. The whole point of March madness is anyone can win any game just ask the old St. Peters team that beat Purdue. An aberration is Covid shutting down the world, an aberration is Butler making a national championship gane run; Kentucky losing a first round game is more the norm then an aberration. Sheppard was held to single digits, and half of these top 10 recruits were invisible. This is just what happens when there is actual pressure.

Regardless of how many times Cal has choked, a 14-seed beating a 3-seed is still an aberration. It is not the norm. 14-seeds are 23-130 all-time in the NCAA tournament. It feels like many on this board in a few separate threads are trying to discount what Tennessee accomplished this year as regular season champions by saying the SEC "sucks" or is "exposed" or "overrated." March Madness is March Madness for a reason. These stories happen and it is why we love the sport.

Tennessee still won a Top 3 league this year in what is unquestionably the deepest the conference has ever been. I don't think it's that the SEC doesn't have "the guys" to score and win in March. The same goes for other conferences. Upsets are just part of the sport. I don't see anyone arguing that the Big 12 doesn't have the talent to win after BYU lost to one of the worst 11-seeds in the history of the tournament or Texas Tech lost to an NC State. Kansas should have lost as well if not for an awful call at the end of regulation.

Didn’t get to see the game tonight but just finished watching the highlights…that dude for Oakland who looked like he was at least 35 y/o went scorched earth on Kentucky. Couldn’t happen to a better team and a better fanbase!
Gohlke looked like the assistant VP at a bank that had just gotten off work and went to the Y for his afternoon pickup game. 10 3’s and 3 dribbles . Unreal.

The real question for UK fans was why that dude for Oakland is at Oakland and not UK. That is where you start. You need these true scorers in the SEC. Tennessee got Dalton Knecht and he has changed everything. I think the recruiting in the SEC is off and doesn't give teams the players that can win in March.
Cal ain’t beating the bushes for a D2 transfer. His only interest is getting those 5 stars so that he can continue to brag about how many of his players are in the NBA. You are right though in that there has to be a balance and I think Cal’s record lately shows it.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This thread feels just as good today as it did last night. Thank you, Kentucky.

Current Rupp's Rafters highlights.

"Is Cal intentionally trying to sink the program to buy an island?"

The firm belief that Cal would negotiate a lower buyout for himself, just because.

Cal should let UK slowly pay his buyout money over many years, to under privileged children's charities if he really is a nice guy. It would make his legacy better at UK.

At least three threads about quitting UK basketball until Cal is gone.

"Who are you pulling for? I'm pulling for whomever Tennessee is playing." Feeling's mutual re: UK opps.

New nickname "Can't Coach Cal".

Respectfully, I think you're splitting hairs around the definition of aberration.

VN Store

Back