Kentucky JG scouting report

Probably with Gray is he sometimes misses critical blocks, goes down at first contact too much, and is spotty as a receiver

Have we been watching the same guy? He almost always makes the first defender miss, so there is no contact. He might get tackled 5 yards (his average to-date) down the field, but I will take that all day long. I haven't seen him drop many passes (13 receptions for 118 yards; 30 yards/game). As far as blocking goes, if we had a QB that could make a good read and hit the hot-read receiver he wouldn't have to.

After rewatching the game, Kentucky was completely sitting and waiting on the short throws from JG. They knew what we have seen. JG tends to throw the ball to the “check down to RB” or closest receiver a lot. He tends to not push the ball down the field except for go routes which are easier to read for a QB (hence the go routes called for Harrison Bailey near the end). So, Kentucky was not treating deep as a threat for JG. UK waited and was prepared to break on short balls. That’s what happened on the picks.

Then when JG struggled, we kept throwing those really short passes (understandably since he really struggled). UK continued to sit on it, so the problem got worse. This is another reason we just need to move on.

Maybe they should just play Holiday and run the veer.

Anybody ever watch that documentary on the SEC? Was everybody as shocked as I was to learn that Steve Spurrier only ran 10 or 12 plays, but had new ones every week?

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Have we been watching the same guy? He almost always makes the first defender miss, so there is no contact. He might get tackled 5 yards (his average to-date) down the field, but I will take that all day long. I haven't seen him drop many passes (13 receptions for 118 yards; 30 yards/game). As far as blocking goes, if we had a QB that could make a good read and hit the hot-read receiver he wouldn't have to.
Gray does not elude many tackles and loses his footing on a big gain at least once a game. He does have quickness and can hit the lane very well but on his good gains he has received decent blocking that even a 60 year old man like me could average 3 to 4 yards a carry. He is an average to slightly above average SEC back. Not elite at this time.

Reactions: ETCvol4life
I never doubt anything you bring here. Who do YOU think our best option at qb is for the rest of the season?

Honestly I don't know. I just am of the thinking that if you get the same output from a 5th yr Sr that you can get from the younger guys but they have a bigger upside, I'm playing the younger guy. Especially in the case of Bailey and Mauer. Bailey has a live arm and high ceiling. Mauer is more athletic, has balls of steel, and a live arm. All while JG is just blah.

They must really not like what they have in Bailey. You know JG’s limitations, which according to everyone on this site, limits the offense. So I do put some of this on JC. Isn’t it his job to have players ready to see the field when needed? JG is limited in his abilities, Shrout may be more limited, Maurer is MIA, so why not get your highly touted freshman as many snaps as you could afford? The whole “we don’t have time to waste on a 4th string QB” is the most ludicrous thing I’ve heard yet out of any of our current staff.
And before anyone comes in with the whole “Bailey spent time in quarantine” stuff, you’re going to tell me he had zero opportunity to participate in any practices?
I don’t buy it at all. If you don’t think the kid can help your program, tell him as much and let him transfer. If you think he can help, spend as much time as possible getting him somewhat ready.
Just my take.
GBO!!

I'll put it to you like this. I think the underestimated Ky and thought JG could get them by. The thing is with covid, etc HB is behind the 8ball a lot. The other 2 hv a yr in the system and should be able to contribute right now as RS or Soph. I don't know either way but I look fwd to seeing a chg this wk.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
apparently JG would raise his hands at the last moment during the GA game, allowing the GA D to time the snap count. Did anyone else hear the commentators mention that during the KY game??

Reactions: sjt18
apparently JG would raise his hands at the last moment during the GA game, allowing the GA D to time the snap count. Did anyone else hear the commentators mention that during the KY game??
Yes, been discussed here the last week. Our offensive coaches including Chaney and Weinke are paid to catch stuff like that. They failed. I fine Chaney 250k and Weinke 100k for missing that.

See now you're lying to yourself. Go do your research we took Chaney from UGA and he had to pay out his contract. Kirby also did try to retain Chaney. Lmao saying he won't be OC next yr how silly do you sound. Man I'm done responding to silliness. Chaney can go anywhere and get a job including working for Saban. The man's resume speaks for itself. Save your thumbs and don't type anything else of tomfoolery like you've already done. And to say the man can't coach qbs PLEASE. I bet you can't find 3 ppl to agree with you and its thousands on this board.

Especially people who know football.... We are in good hands with a QB who can make the pre-snap and adjust to what they see post-snap. Our guy seems slow in both his progression and ability to recognize what the defense is giving him....

AND we have a stupid OC who continued to call those sideline patterns that are the most difficult to throw and the easiest to intercept!!!
STUPID IS AS CHANEY DOES....FIRE HIM NOW
How do you know that it wasn't a wheel route called and JG went to the safety valve, which he does a lot? JG has a history of ignoring the guy running free down the field and dumping it off to the sideline, and making the receiver jump or dive for it. Also , some of those sideline throws went more distance than the one going down the field would have gone.

So if they play a young guy and he shines and locks down a spot then they lose said recruit. So that made me feel as if someone is saying that they're trying to hold tight on JG who is awful to appease to the 21 signing class thats not finalized yet.

OK, here is the litmus test. Ask this question: Would Nick Saban do this to get a recruit? As much flack as Pruitt and Chaney are drawing from the Monday morning quarterbacks, this doesn't pass the sniff test.

OK, here is the litmus test. Ask this question: Would Nick Saban do this to get a recruit? As much flack as Pruitt and Chaney are drawing from the Monday morning quarterbacks, this doesn't pass the sniff test.
Nick saban probably could do that at the level they recruit..... but they can cover up a weak QB to s degree

Yes, been discussed here the last week. Our offensive coaches including Chaney and Weinke are paid to catch stuff like that. They failed. I fine Chaney 250k and Weinke 100k for missing that.
Agree... but isn't that something you would expect a 5th year Sr to be past? I mean that's pretty fundamental, Freshman year type stuff isn't it?

No he would not. Of course the Alabama name now sells itself as far as recruiting goes.

Reactions: de1conley
So I was talking to a coach and I said enough is enough. I was then told we hv viable options but when an OC has his guy that he has recruited he doesn't want to lose a recruit than can be a program changer. The way qbs work is if a recruit thinks he has a chance to be the man he will come in regardless of numbers because qbs are divas and others will leave. So if they play a young guy and he shines and locks down a spot then they lose said recruit. So that made me feel as if someone is saying that they're trying to hold tight on JG who is awful to appease to the 21 signing class thats not finalized yet. I'm not quoting him on this but it was said and I'm not putting this on Chaney because he'd tell me if he felt like this. We have a very close relationship and he's a friend of mine regardless of where he works, but another guy told me this. I kinda shook my head and refused to ask Chaney because I've literally never heard him say any kinda bs like this EVER
IMHO, starting Maurer makes landing Salter more likely. Starting HB sends him walking. Tolerating JG after this mess... could raise enough doubts about Pruitt's future to tank the whole class including QB.

I don’t think I can recall many sluggo/ hitch and go type routes with a pump fake. Of course it could be because JG fumbles it in practice when attempting it. The fade routes down the sidelines are seemingly the only real component of our vertical passing game that they feel confident letting JG attempt.

VN Store

Back