Kentucky JG scouting report

Yeah, JG would have to know he has a tell IMO.
So now some speculation... is it something he did because of pressure or something he had been doing without it being caught? Apparently, JG surprises the coaches a lot in games by doing/not doing things contrary to practice.

IMHO, starting Maurer makes landing Salter more likely. Starting HB sends him walking. Tolerating JG after this mess... could raise enough doubts about Pruitt's future to tank the whole class including QB.
I don’t think Salter will leave if HB plays. He knows he brings something else to the table and you have seen some of the best programs use a 2 Qb system with contrasting styles.

I don’t think I can recall many sluggo/ hitch and go type routes with a pump fake. Of course it could be because JG fumbles it in practice when attempting it. The fade routes down the sidelines are seemingly the only real component of our vertical passing game that they feel confident letting JG attempt.
He has the arm... he's just almost always late throwing which allows the coverage to recover. He's slow processing information and cannot anticipate (lead, throw open). I don't think he can help it. I think it is an innate part of his mental make up.

So now some speculation... is it something he did because of pressure or something he had been doing without it being caught? Apparently, JG surprises the coaches a lot in games by doing/not doing things contrary to practice.
IDK, I guess one will have to look at his video history to
know for sure.

I don’t think Salter will leave if HB plays. He knows he brings something else to the table and you have seen some of the best programs use a 2 Qb system with contrasting styles.
Except he will have watched Maurer not play while having more experience and a similar skill set. Maurer has a better arm. Salter is more slippery. Just giving an opinion but after JG has gotten the rope he's gotten... only to be replaced with another pro-style stationary QB... I would believe I did not fit into the UT's philosophy.

Reactions: whodeycin85
You realize we had 175 yards rushing against Kentucky, and that was with no threat of a passing game. We need to make a change at qb, it’s past due, but our oline and running game is good. With competent qb play we can play with anyone in the conference. With Guarantano at qb we can lose to anyone in the country (see ga. St.).
OL has been inconsistent at best and hasn't pushed anyone but MO. They are vastly underplaying for their ability/potential. Also 43% of that run total came on one drive when Cheney didn't call a pass play. How about the rest of the game? We couldn't move the ball. That's inconsistency.

Honestly I don't know. I just am of the thinking that if you get the same output from a 5th yr Sr that you can get from the younger guys but they have a bigger upside, I'm playing the younger guy. Especially in the case of Bailey and Mauer. Bailey has a live arm and high ceiling. Mauer is more athletic, has balls of steel, and a live arm. All while JG is just blah.
If we don’t let Bailey and Mauer compete for the job in live game action, just to secure Salter, I’ll be kinda pissed. Is Salter even that good? Saw in his highlights he can run but is he any more dynamic than Maurer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cobbwebb0710
He just struggled to see the field. There were a lot of open passes out there he didn’t see. I am surprised we don’t roll the pocket with him more and let him pull it and run some.

I'll put it to you like this. I think the underestimated Ky and thought JG could get them by. The thing is with covid, etc HB is behind the 8ball a lot. The other 2 hv a yr in the system and should be able to contribute right now as RS or Soph. I don't know either way but I look fwd to seeing a chg this wk.
JG will start. A change will be made after jg helps Alabama get points but at that point, it doesnt matter what the next qb does. He was never even given a chance to try and win. This is not what a good coach does.

OL has been inconsistent at best and hasn't pushed anyone but MO. They are vastly underplaying for their ability/potential. Also 43% of that run total came on one drive when Cheney didn't call a pass play. How about the rest of the game? We couldn't move the ball. That's inconsistency.
When your quarterback sucks, it makes it appear your entire offense is worse than what it really is.

If we don’t let Bailey and Mauer compete for the job in live game action, just to secure Salter, I’ll be kinda pissed. Is Salter even that good? Saw in his highlights he can run but is he any more dynamic than Maurer?
Salters is a 4 star but his 40 time is not exceptional. His value is uncertain like many other HS recruits.

I heard that Chaney’s offense is really tough to run, especially for a freshman. The QB is required to set the protection at the line.

How do you know that it wasn't a wheel route called and JG went to the safety valve, which he does a lot? JG has a history of ignoring the guy running free down the field and dumping it off to the sideline, and making the receiver jump or dive for it. Also , some of those sideline throws went more distance than the one going down the field would have gone.

watch the RB on the play....does it look like a wheel route?

Pruitt needs Bailey to come in and steal the show after Alabama game. He has to show there’s a future here that’s promising to recruits, many he already has committed. If they lose a QB recruit, so be it. Otherwise they’re going to lose LB, DL etc cause they see no future QB.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
watch the RB on the play....does it look like a wheel route?
Actually that was intented to be metaphorical for JG's last 4 years. Many times he missed the deep guy. Seems most of his yardage comes from catches behind the line of scrimmage. Apologize for the inaccuracies.

I personally think Chaney is a really talented OC. Play calls have been so limited because of JG’s inability to throw well, especially recently. We basically had to be a run-only offense Saturday because JG was off that badly.

Even sec analysts said same thing said uga knew we were one dimensional and managed game as such

After rewatching the game, Kentucky was completely sitting and waiting on the short throws from JG. They knew what we have seen. JG tends to throw the ball to the “check down to RB” or closest receiver a lot. He tends to not push the ball down the field except for go routes which are easier to read for a QB (hence the go routes called for Harrison Bailey near the end). So, Kentucky was not treating deep as a threat for JG. UK waited and was prepared to break on short balls. That’s what happened on the picks.

Then when JG struggled, we kept throwing those really short passes (understandably since he really struggled). UK continued to sit on it, so the problem got worse. This is another reason we just need to move on.

Kentucky just knew that JG decides where to throw it pre-snap. So they probably baited him into certain throws pre snap by giving him certain looks.

After rewatching the game, Kentucky was completely sitting and waiting on the short throws from JG. They knew what we have seen. JG tends to throw the ball to the “check down to RB” or closest receiver a lot. He tends to not push the ball down the field except for go routes which are easier to read for a QB (hence the go routes called for Harrison Bailey near the end). So, Kentucky was not treating deep as a threat for JG. UK waited and was prepared to break on short balls. That’s what happened on the picks.

Then when JG struggled, we kept throwing those really short passes (understandably since he really struggled). UK continued to sit on it, so the problem got worse. This is another reason we just need to move on.
I dont doubt what you're saying is accurate. But, on picks I saw no one was open, and Gaurantano tried to throw into coverage bc our receivers cant get open. He made ****** throws, and KY made plays.

OK, here is the litmus test. Ask this question: Would Nick Saban do this to get a recruit? As much flack as Pruitt and Chaney are drawing from the Monday morning quarterbacks, this doesn't pass the sniff test.

Saban van do whatever he wants and it will still smell like roses. We aren't 1/4 of the way towards that road to even mention WWNSD.

VN Store

Back