Kennedy Chandler's future? [drafted No.38 to Memphis]

Tennessee Vols Fan!!!!

I have to say that I'm shocked that I am seeing mock drafts putting Chandler in the second round. I thought for sure based on his sheer potential and play making, he would at least be a late first round pick

Knowing this, do you think Chandler returns? To start the season, I would have said no way, but who would want to be a second round pick when you can spend another year in college, get some money and for sure be a first round pick next year?

He would greatly benefit spending two years here, especially with Edwards coming in to help

Reactions: savannahfan
It can be hard to watch every prospect throughout the season. I think some of these mocks haven't seen his play recently. A lot of mocks are still citing his early season turnover issues, but he's taken much better care of the basketball for quite some time. If he gets a first-round guarantee, he's gone. Otherwise, who knows.

His FT % and height are going to be a net negative. He'll have to make up for it with the 3-ball and field goal %.

It can be hard to watch every prospect throughout the season. I think some of these mocks haven't seen his play recently. A lot of mocks are still citing his early season turnover issues, but he's taken much better care of the basketball for quite some time. If he gets a first-round guarantee, he's gone. Otherwise, who knows.

His FT % and height are going to be a net negative. He'll have to make up for it with the 3-ball and field goal %.

Agreed!! I baffles me on his FT%, watching last night he seems to "look" at the post rather than the rim prior to shooting, and it's quick between his look at the post and his shot. It is almost as if he's rushing his shot . . . . that is easily corrected with some coaching and time in the gym, I know that he's in the gym a lot but he needs more time on the FT line. Just my opinion which, ain't worth much.

GBO

Most draft projections are totally useless until teams do individual workouts with players and even then, the only reason some draft boards get better is because of leaks inside front offices.

For instance, Josh Richardson was a top 20 prospect for the Miami Heat because in individual workouts he was locking down lottery picks defensively. They loved him and were thrilled he dropped to them in the second round.

The kid and his family need to decide what's important to them and what does he want? Does he want to get a degree? Does he enjoy college? Or does he want to start his NBA clock now? I'd love to see him stay longer but he's got to chase his dream which is the NBA.

Reactions: LibertyVol
The kid and his family need to decide what's important to them and what does he want? Does he want to get a degree? Does he enjoy college? Or does he want to start his NBA clock now? I'd love to see him stay longer but he's got to chase his dream which is the NBA.
I think they decided long ago what was important, and that was getting him to the league as quickly as possible. NIL has changed the landscape of things, as has his recent slippage in the mock drafts.

Ultimately, he definitely will declare, though pending feedback from the league, he may choose to return if he is a borderline 1st rd pick with no guarantee from any team. Tennessee needs to make a compelling NIL offer, or he's likely gone, either way; NBA Draft or Duke/UK/Memphis. I just can't see him sticking around for table scraps at Tennessee with other schools offering 7-figure deals and no penalty for transferring.

I'll believe it when I see it as far as a legit NBA prospect opting to play NCAA due to NIL. Not saying it won't happen, but that sounds as likely as the classic "X's family is well off, so they would be ok with walking onto the team and paying for school."
Well Emoni Bates essentially did it by going to Memphis instead of OTE or G-League Elite or whatever it’s called.

I feel like it's practically a foregone conclusion that he will be gone. If he were to return it would be one of the biggest surprises ever, IMO.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I hope he and Santi comes back next year, that team would be unstoppable but I understand if he wants to pursue his nba dreams.

Depends on how he does in the two tourneys.

Will he continue his hot streak? As bad as UT is in tourneys and on the road, he plays worse when the team plays bad as a group.

I expect he will come back, especially if UT chokes in big dance. Next year's team will be much better than this year with BHH, Aidoo, and KC all coming back.

Depends on how he does in the two tourneys.

Will he continue his hot streak? As bad as UT is in tourneys and on the road, he plays worse when the team plays bad as a group.

I expect he will come back, especially if UT chokes in big dance. Next year's team will be much better than this year with BHH, Aidoo, and KC all coming back.
Nba combine…

I’m operating under the assumption he is gone until proven otherwise, but if he does return it would be massive. It would completely change next year’s ceiling. We’d be a legit national championship contender.
Depending on how this year ended it’s almost a guarantee we’d be preseason Top 5 and potential #1.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
I think they decided long ago what was important, and that was getting him to the league as quickly as possible. NIL has changed the landscape of things, as has his recent slippage in the mock drafts.

Ultimately, he definitely will declare, though pending feedback from the league, he may choose to return if he is a borderline 1st rd pick with no guarantee from any team. Tennessee needs to make a compelling NIL offer, or he's likely gone, either way; NBA Draft or Duke/UK/Memphis. I just can't see him sticking around for table scraps at Tennessee with other schools offering 7-figure deals and no penalty for transferring.
I don't think he would go to Memphis in all honesty. Likely would've chosen them the first time around since he was from there if that were the case. His dad wanted him at UT to get the tough coaching and development from Barnes before heading to the league. That's not to say he won't go/declare after this season but his dad is a frat brother and that's what he said the decision came down to on top of the relationship.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don't think he would go to Memphis in all honesty. Likely would've chosen them the first time around since he was from there if that were the case. His dad wanted him at UT to get the tough coaching and development from Barnes before heading to the league. That's not to say he won't go/declare after this season but his dad is a frat brother and that's what he said the decision came down to on top of the relationship.
KC’s fortunate to have such a strong family support group to help him make these life decisions. Hopefully they will make the best choice for him this off season also.

Nobody drafts on FT%. He’s short. He’s not a freak athlete like Keon, and as good as his D is, he’s going to have a hard time guarding NBA size guards. Early drafts used too many Ja Morant comparisons. He’s not Ja Morant.

VN Store

Back