Kennedy Chandler's future? [drafted No.38 to Memphis]

I don't think he would go to Memphis in all honesty. Likely would've chosen them the first time around since he was from there if that were the case. His dad wanted him at UT to get the tough coaching and development from Barnes before heading to the league. That's not to say he won't go/declare after this season but his dad is a frat brother and that's what he said the decision came down to on top of the relationship.
Was just thinking of programs willing to maximize his NIL potential. If money is the only thing that mattered, he could go back home and make a FedEx fortune. Didn't mean to insinuate he had any desire to simply play for Penny in a vacuum.

Nobody drafts on FT%. He’s short. He’s not a freak athlete like Keon, and as good as his D is, he’s going to have a hard time guarding NBA size guards. Early drafts used too many Ja Morant comparisons. He’s not Ja Morant.

His wingspan makes up quite a bit for his height. It doesn't really matter where your head is in basketball, it's where your reach is at. His 6'7" wingspan is one of the biggest wingspan to height ratios since Rajon Rondo who was a 1st rounder despite having no ability to shoot well from anywhere on the floor away from the basket.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yeah, but he wasn't eligible to play in the NBA this season, right? Chandler will be next season, so the scenarios aren't quite apples to apples if I'm not mistaken.

Bates isn’t eligible for the NBA for 2 years. I don’t think that has anything to do with the G-League developmental teams. But it is a different situation. It will be interesting to see what he does after this season.

Bates isn’t eligible for the NBA for 2 years. I don’t think that has anything to do with the G-League developmental teams. But it is a different situation. It will be interesting to see what he does after this season.
Point being that NBA wasn't/isn't on the table for Bates. It is for Chandler.

NM I see that the rule says and instead of or.

His wingspan makes up quite a bit for his height. It doesn't really matter where your head is in basketball, it's where your reach is at. His 6'7" wingspan is one of the biggest wingspan to height ratios since Rajon Rondo who was a 1st rounder despite having no ability to shoot well from anywhere on the floor away from the basket.
I hear you on that. He has long arms. He steals and rebounds well. His wingspan doesn’t make up for his lack of height. He has trouble finishing against size as evidenced by AZ, AK, KY1 games. He doesn’t jump out of the gym, and his wingspan (listed at 6 5” on draft sites) is both his arm length and chest width. Not all of that increases vertical reach. He’s not Rondo, he’s not Chris Paul, and he’s not Ja Morant. I think those early comparisons did him a disservice. He’s him. He’s an incredibly talented college PG with an NBA future, but he has some challenges in the measurables department that will make it hard to take NBA guards to the hoop.

I could be mistaken, but I want to say the rule is 19 OR a year removed from HS.

In any case, yeah, I see a big difference between considering G-League vs NCAA and considering NCAA vs NBA.
Yeah you had to have turned 19 during the course of the draft calendar year AND a year removed from HS. Bates just turned 18 this past January.

Yeah, but he wasn't eligible to play in the NBA this season, right? Chandler will be next season, so the scenarios aren't quite apples to apples if I'm not mistaken.
I think that’s correct. Bates was only 17 and I think you have to be 18.

In no way shape or form is Chandler ready for the NBA. While I realize that the NBA drafts on potential, Chandler is only 6'0." While he has long arms and that somewhat mitigates this weakness in the NCAA. Everyone in the NBA has long arms. He needs to work on all aspects of his game. Especially his 3 shooting and drive/slash/dish once he penetrates past the foul line. Also he really needs work on his defense; especially stopping penetration. Davion Mitchell out of Baylor, who went 9th to Sacramento in last year's draft, is an adequate comparison. But Mitchell had an NBA ready body at 202 lb. on his 6 ft. frame vs. Chandler's 171 lb. that's 30 lb. of muscle on the same frame. Also, Chandler shoots 39% from the floor and 33% from 3. Frankly, for an "NBA Talent" these numbers are below sub-standard. Frankly he needs to add 10% to both those numbers to be considered able make it in the NBA. I realized the kid has some Talent, but the NBA is a huge leap and he is about as ready as my friend's Chihuahua. Yeah he's feisty and quick but NBA ready...NO.

Correct, but it was something about going to Memphis meant 2 years where as if he went other route he could go to NBA after 1 year iirc, so still a choice he opted to make. This is the 1st year for NIL stuff so no really history to point to, Hooker & Tillman said it didn’t matter and they were returning regardless, Cade supposedly put a number out there that he’d return for.

Correct, but it was something about going to Memphis meant 2 years where as if he went other route he could go to NBA after 1 year iirc, so still a choice he opted to make. This is the 1st year for NIL stuff so no really history to point to, Hooker & Tillman said it didn’t matter and they were returning regardless, Cade supposedly put a number out there that he’d return for.

If you play for a professional team on a one year contract you can be in the draft without the 19 clause I believe.

In no way shape or form is Chandler ready for the NBA. While I realize that the NBA drafts on potential, Chandler is only 6'0." While he has long arms and that somewhat mitigates this weakness in the NCAA. Everyone in the NBA has long arms. He needs to work on all aspects of his game. Especially his 3 shooting and drive/slash/dish once he penetrates past the foul line. Also he really needs work on his defense; especially stopping penetration. Davion Mitchell out of Baylor, who went 9th to Sacramento in last year's draft, is an adequate comparison. But Mitchell had an NBA ready body at 202 lb. on his 6 ft. frame vs. Chandler's 171 lb. that's 30 lb. of muscle on the same frame. Also, Chandler shoots 39% from the floor and 33% from 3. Frankly, for an "NBA Talent" these numbers are below sub-standard. Frankly he needs to add 10% to both those numbers to be considered able make it in the NBA. I realized the kid has some Talent, but the NBA is a huge leap and he is about as ready as my friend's Chihuahua. Yeah he's feisty and quick but NBA ready...NO.

The question isn't whether he needs to improve, it's where should he spend his time improving. In the NBA developmental program which is superior to college and he gets paid, or here where maybe he gets NIL but risks getting hurt or hurting his stock. There are fewer negatives to moving on vs staying in almost any scenario if you are a legitimate NBA prospect.

If you play for a professional team on a one year contract you can be in the draft without the 19 clause I believe.
That might be what it was, wasn’t sure of specifics but thought I had saw something about it being a 1 year vs. 2 year decision.

The question isn't whether he needs to improve, it's where should he spend his time improving. In the NBA developmental program which is superior to college and he gets paid, or here where maybe he gets NIL but risks getting hurt or hurting his stock. There are fewer negatives to moving on vs staying in almost any scenario if you are a legitimate NBA prospect.
It’s betting on yourself, do you feel confident you can improve your stock from early 2nd to mid-late 1st? Also, there’s insurance policies on the injury thing that can be utilized.

I have to say that I'm shocked that I am seeing mock drafts putting Chandler in the second round. I thought for sure based on his sheer potential and play making, he would at least be a late first round pick

Knowing this, do you think Chandler returns? To start the season, I would have said no way, but who would want to be a second round pick when you can spend another year in college, get some money and for sure be a first round pick next year?

He would greatly benefit spending two years here, especially with Edwards coming in to help
Don't know how much he could get at TN but he should stay another year. He's really not ready for the NBA. G League is another option as well but you just don't see that many guys moving up from G league

Players generally see a remarkable improvement in season 2 at TN under Rick Barnes. You really only get one shot at the NBA. I remember Tony White finally getting into a NBA game and dropping 52. But he was short, undersized, and could not stay in front of his man on D. A week later he was back in the version of D league that existed back then. Chandler needs seasoning and a stronger body before he even has a chance in the NBA.

Last edited:
Nobody drafts on FT%. He’s short. He’s not a freak athlete like Keon, and as good as his D is, he’s going to have a hard time guarding NBA size guards. Early drafts used too many Ja Morant comparisons. He’s not Ja Morant.

Morant stayed at Murray for 2 years. So if KC stayed he may be closer to college Morant by then but averaging 20 & 10 @ Murrray State vs doing it at a SEC team is hard to compare. Would love to see him come back I think he will do great in the NBA.

I have to say that I'm shocked that I am seeing mock drafts putting Chandler in the second round. I thought for sure based on his sheer potential and play making, he would at least be a late first round pick

Knowing this, do you think Chandler returns? To start the season, I would have said no way, but who would want to be a second round pick when you can spend another year in college, get some money and for sure be a first round pick next year?

He would greatly benefit spending two years here, especially with Edwards coming in to help
If he gets consistent first round grading from legit sources, he should go...as much as I’d like him to stay.

Don't know how much he could get at TN but he should stay another year. He's really not ready for the NBA. G League is another option as well but you just don't see that many guys moving up from G league
Kuminga and Green were lottery picks out of the G-League, last year. Jalen Green was the 2nd or 3rd pick overall

VN Store

Back