Kennedy Chandler's future? [drafted No.38 to Memphis]

Kuminga and Green were lottery picks out of the G-League, last year. Jalen Green was the 2nd or 3rd pick overall
Weren't they opting out of college? They were kind of like one-and-dones for rule lip service. I think they are both at least 6'6" with length.

Reactions: LandonVFL
Weren't they opting out of college? They were kind of like one-and-dones for rule lip service. I think they are both at least 6'6" with length.
Yes, they went to the G-League instead of college and were more than less, one and done. Just saying, G-League players do get drafted and sometimes thrive in the NBA

I have to say that I'm shocked that I am seeing mock drafts putting Chandler in the second round. I thought for sure based on his sheer potential and play making, he would at least be a late first round pick

Knowing this, do you think Chandler returns? To start the season, I would have said no way, but who would want to be a second round pick when you can spend another year in college, get some money and for sure be a first round pick next year?

He would greatly benefit spending two years here, especially with Edwards coming in to help
As the season progresses into tournament time those mocks will change wildly. SECT and NCAAT are where chandler makes his money. If we make a push in the NCAAT he will easily move to top 15. He has a very well-rounded game with his only real weakness being the free-throw line. His age gives him an edge because the NBA drafts more on potential than anything else. It's why the top of the first round is usually almost exclusively freshmen and sophomores. 3-4 year players that are 'better' normally end up falling to late first and second rounds.

The one thing that hurts his draft stock is our guard play. The other 3 guards have played so well that they are all kind of high-level roleplayers. A push in the tourney will help show that he is a big reason our guards can be that good. JJJ is gonna be JJJ but I think Vescovi and ZZ owe their success is partially due to Chandler's presence. They are all good players but I think without the other guys, Chandler would be forced to play hero ball. All his stats would be greatly increased (including turnovers). A second-year here would help Chandler's development as a player but not necessarily his draft stock.

Hard to believe Springer was a first rounder but Chandler isn't.

Doesn't everyone agree Chandler > Springer?
as a prospect, I think Chandler will be more highly rated than SPringger or Johnson because he has a more complete Offensive arsenal. Springer was more an athletic freak as was Johnson to a lesser extent.. again I think it all comes down to these next 5+ games If Chandler plays 5 more games this season his draft stock will be likely mid/late first round. If it goes on for 6+ games he rises up the pack to the late lottery. He just can't have any big stinkers in the Tourney games.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
as a prospect, I think Chandler will be more highly rated than SPringger or Johnson because he has a more complete Offensive arsenal. Springer was more an athletic freak as was Johnson to a lesser extent.. again I think it all comes down to these next 5+ games If Chandler plays 5 more games this season his draft stock will be likely mid/late first round. If it goes on for 6+ games he rises up the pack to the late lottery. He just can't have any big stinkers in the Tourney games.
I think your getting Johnson and Springer mixed up

If he improves his shooting he could have a successful career like another short guy, Terrell Brandon.

Sorry, the whole point in going to college is to secure a finacial future. Why would he want to stay in college if he can go to the NBA?

Agreed!! I baffles me on his FT%, watching last night he seems to "look" at the post rather than the rim prior to shooting, and it's quick between his look at the post and his shot. It is almost as if he's rushing his shot . . . . that is easily corrected with some coaching and time in the gym, I know that he's in the gym a lot but he needs more time on the FT line. Just my opinion which, ain't worth much.

GBO

What you see is a lack of concentration. Which I see often. This happens when a guy is so gifted skill wise that he only needs to play on his physical ability. Being disciplined enough to concentrate is what he could gain with another year and that alone could increase his value in the big league.

I think your getting Johnson and Springer mixed up
both showed out at the combine Keon recorded a crazy vertical and springer was in the top verticals also but performed really well in other workouts as well. Pons also had a crazy vert

Hard to believe Springer was a first rounder but Chandler isn't.

Doesn't everyone agree Chandler > Springer?
I would say no ... different players, different positions. But I also thought both of them should have stayed in college another year ... so feel free to discount my thoughts.

Here is my thought ... (and I have no idea what the family or KC will choose) ... I see the physicality required in the NBA ... with players hitting the floor more often .... their bodies need to be 'ready' to play. A person who is physically not ready ... risks injury and it could be career limiting or ending.
Where he develops that physical body that he is going to need is a debatable question.
I suspect he is getting excellent guidance from TJ.
I have no prediction on whether he returns or not.

I've long wondered, now, what made Darius Garland the #6 overall pick but has Chandler on the edge of slipping out of the 1st round. Garland is and inch or two taller, but outside of that, I am curious. Similar athleticism. Garland has a slightly better/quicker outside shot, I guess.

I've long wondered, now, what made Darius Garland the #6 overall pick but has Chandler on the edge of slipping out of the 1st round. Garland is and inch or two taller, but outside of that, I am curious. Similar athleticism. Garland has a slightly better/quicker outside shot, I guess.
When the biggest question surrounding these guards is can they shoot/how well can they shoot, these numbers are apples and oranges when comparing those 2 players, and that’s not mentioning the 2” height difference already helping the stock.

Fg%
KC: 45.0%
DG: 53.7%

2pt%
KC: 50.5%
DG: 58.1%

3pt%
KC: 33.3%
DG: 47.8%

FT%
KC: 63.6%
DG: 75.0%

TS%:
KC: 52.1%
DG: 65.7%

EFG%
KC: 50.3%
DG: 63.9%

both showed out at the combine Keon recorded a crazy vertical and springer was in the top verticals also but performed really well in other workouts as well. Pons also had a crazy vert
Springer helped himself with a very good overall showing at the combine while Johnson set the vertical all time record and did great at the other measurements also. This is reverse of your original post, not that it matters.

Reactions: pimo1
When the biggest question surrounding these guards is can they shoot/how well can they shoot, these numbers are apples and oranges when comparing those 2 players, and that’s not mentioning the 2” height difference already helping the stock.

Fg%
KC: 45.0%
DG: 53.7%

2pt%
KC: 50.5%
DG: 58.1%

3pt%
KC: 33.3%
DG: 47.8%

FT%
KC: 63.6%
DG: 75.0%

TS%:
KC: 52.1%
DG: 65.7%

EFG%
KC: 50.3%
DG: 63.9%
I knew someone would bring up the number comparison, but you do realize Garland's stats you quoted are over a 5-game period before he tore his left meniscus, right? Against the likes of Winthrop, USC, Alcorn State, Liberty, and Kent State. Those should be taken with a huge grain of salt, but your comparison to Chandler's numbers calculate out over almost an entire season (26 games).

For comparison, Kennedy Chandler's number over his first 5 games, against significantly better competition (UTM, ETSU, Villanova, UNC, TN Tech), no less, are as follows...

FG%
KC 48.1%
DG 53.7%

2-pt FG%
KC 44.7%
DG 58.1%

3-pt FG%
KC 56.3%
DG 47.8%

FT%
KC 100%
DG 75%

TS%
KC 60.8%
DG 65.7%

EFG%
KC 56.5%
DG 63.9%

Those still predominantly favor Garland (difference in competition has to figure in, somewhere), but Chandler has a clear lead in both 3-pt FG% and FT%, and the other numbers are much closer than your figures.

Point being, their respective stats can't really tell the story because Garland only played in five games against garbage competition.

It has to be something else. Maybe the NBA clearly values that extra inch or two more than I'd imagine. Or maybe they fell in love with the mystery of Garland as a player and his potential where Chandler seems to have exposed himself in contrast. It's why I would highly recommend someone like Shaedon Sharpe to jump to the NBA if someone is guaranteeing him a spot in the lottery.

VN Store

Back