kelly post game on tess darby tess is a shooter

tess was not reason we lost . her defence is improving . tenn needs someone like stripline setting picks for the three point shooters . some said stripline defence is not good but dye and green could not keep stanford from scoring close baskets when key got in foul trouble. dye should have got more shoots. horston tries to do much sometimes .
Sometimes?

IMO, by far the most critical factor in the game with Keys being in foul trouble and sitting on the bench. Each time she went to the bench, Stanford would make some baskets by hitting threes or driving to the basket. The reason they were able to hit threes then was due our defense couldn't guard as closely because the terminator Keys wasn't backing them up so they had to be prepared for a possible penetration. On offense, it seems that Horston gets even more frantic when her girl Keys is not in the game. In that scenario, she seems to think that she is the best option to score so she forces something rather than assisting others to score. Despite only scoring one point, when Tamari was in there Lady Vols +/- was +19. Given that we lost by 11, that is the most telling stat of the year. (I realized after the fact that I had posted this in the wrong thread but I guess there is no way of moving it).

Last edited:
Sometimes?
horston force pass and shoots in taffic i think she tries to hard if dye got few more shoots horston might would have few more easy shoots rae gets back horston will not have the pressure of being the go to player. horston does not have the leading scoring to help tenn her defence is pqetty good

Reactions: chuckiepoo
walker 281, key 269, puckett, horston265, dye 256, miles239, darby 221, green159, wynn 85, karoline 65, rennie 65, sanders 35, burrel 17 minuets per game for season so far. all who say barby taking minutes from sara she not . sare 3rd in time played do darby 7th in time played. wynn should get more minutes as nose fully heals from sur. on her broken nose. karoline needs more minutes . dye can not hit three so tenn could move puckett to wing or two guaard. wynn will get more minutes as her nose heals. tess darby minutes will come down if her offence does pick up. even darby bashes have to admite her defence is better.

someone said kelly fond of tess darby. kelly wil not give minutes because they small town girls from west tennessee. suarez can play more than one spot. rae was tenn best player coming in to the season. their injurys have open minuets. rae burrell should be back in janarday. i trust kelly to reward players on their play. kelly has done one heck job getting tenn 10 -1 with rae out suarez out for the season. tennessee best player and all freshmen sec team.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
puckett 7 pts 5 ast 7 reb 7 bob from tv said sara & tess spread the floor. tess not have hit threes ever gama if her on the floor opens up the paint. rae will cut tess time down. but i see tess and sara and rae playing two or sometimes all three open up the paint. with 3 threat walker has nice three shot when open.

3 point% after texas am puckett shoot at. 39, made 14 ..359% darby shot 62 made 21 ..339% walker shot 42 made14 ..333% horston shot 29 made 6 ..207% miles shot 20 made 5 ...250% burrel shot 6 made 1 ...167% rennie shot 15 made 2 ..133% wynn shot 8 made 1 ..125%

tess defence has improved all season. ark. game she was only geting by pick two on one. far as players blowing by darby its happening less often. some one post tess darby played the long game and won. go vols 247. and her competence is growing and her natural shooting is coming out more .

tess defence has improved all season. ark. game she was only geting by pick two on one. far as players blowing by darby its happening less often. some one post tess darby played the long game and won. go vols 247. and her competence is growing and her natural shooting is coming out more .
Her defense has been much improved

Reactions: Bret178 and glv98
rae 5 of 12 .417% tess 28 of 78 .359% sara 16 of 45 . 356% jordan w. 16 of 47 .340% brookyrn 5 of 22 .227% jordan h. 8 of 36 .222% % 3 point shooting for season after ky game.

Wow, so we have four three point shooters that opponents must respect at over 1/3 makes. That's really terrific, and a big change from early in the season. The other two are dangerous at times as well.

I like the kid I just feel she looks a little out of place. Yes she can knock down a 3 here or there but she can absolutely NOT play defense period. She has good size but is very slow. She cannot score at any other level and her ball handling is very weak. I do not feel like she should be a starter there are other kids that bring more coming off the bench. I think she would of been a stud at the mid major level
Jmo

I like the kid I just feel she looks a little out of place. Yes she can knock down a 3 here or there but she can absolutely NOT play defense period. She has good size but is very slow. She cannot score at any other level and her ball handling is very weak. I do not feel like she should be a starter there are other kids that bring more coming off the bench. I think she would of been a stud at the mid major level
Jmo

I was on this boat, but when she began to hit shots in "games" and not just by reputation,,,I was and am on board...We have to have such a threat to extend the opposition's defense. She is not a liability. Are better on the bench, maybe, but coach is playing a deep roster....If you have the horses, let em all run

Jmo

I've seen her make some terrific defensive plays lately. She's not a stud defender, but she is playing decent defense, mostly from good positioning. That is helping her compensate for lack of speed. She's not bad and she's getting better. Her 3 pt shooting is improving with more PT. She adds value as a rotational player. I agree she isn't a starter, as would she, probably, but she's filling in for Rae. Soon, Rae will be starting and Tess will get 10 or 12 mpg.

I've seen her make some terrific defensive plays lately. She's not a stud defender, but she is playing decent defense, mostly from good positioning. That is helping her compensate for lack of speed. She's not bad and she's getting better. Her 3 pt shooting is improving with more PT. She adds value as a rotational player. I agree she isn't a starter, as would she, probably, but she's filling in for Rae. Soon, Rae will be starting and Tess will get 10 or 12 mpg.
Tess has improved more than I thought she would, credit her and this crazy little thing called development that KJH has going on. Between she and Puckett I think we have some good quality depth at that position. The timely 3s they are giving us are everything.

Disagree Tess will still get about 20 a game due to helping Rae and Horston rest during games and then next season she’ll more than likely be a starter and we saw what we can do when she’s there. Hopefully Walker stays and we are able to find a post replacement player for Dye and we should be right back in the thick of it next year. Kellie has done a great job building a team to watch for sure

Disagree Tess will still get about 20 a game due to helping Rae and Horston rest during games and then next season she’ll more than likely be a starter and we saw what we can do when she’s there. Hopefully Walker stays and we are able to find a post replacement player for Dye and we should be right back in the thick of it next year. Kellie has done a great job building a team to watch for sure

Puckett, Horston, Rae, Wynn, and Walker will all be seeing time on the wings this season, in addition to Darby. Total of 80 minutes for those two positions. Horston and Rae are gonna average almost 25 to 30 minutes each, minimum, so that leaves 20 to 25 to be split between Puckett, Wynn, Walker and Darby. Next year substitute Pissott in that sentence for Rae, and don't forget to add Marta to the mix, too.

VN Store

Back