kelly post game on tess darby tess is a shooter

papatomany

Personally I am going with Coach who has the best basis for evaluation.
Well, Kelly has many fine qualities as a coach, but, historically, assessing shooters has never been a primary skill of hers. I did a breakdown last year of how her teams have consistently had mediocre shooting and plentiful turnovers. I do hope she's right about Tess, but right now that's not a great looking ball she puts up there.

CP3_LVFL

When TN decides to USE their 3 point shooters and mean use them in the actual offense not just 1 or 2 x a game then we can dictate who can shoot and who can't. Why even recruit them as a "Shooter" when you know good and well you aren't going to use them enough to even be considered a shooter. Its ridiculous. I hate to be negative but it just seems like all TN does is play pick up ball, never any offensive sets for the shooters
Why do you think kids that are basically just considered shooters never succeed at TN... because they don't set them up for success, they don't hon in on what they are good at etc. Watch IOWA state, Indiana etc who recruit good 3 pt shooter but the difference is they utilize them time and time again ... makes a big difference and those kind of teams will whip your butt if they are on. Problem w TN is we have NO go to shooter noone to light up anyone and when we do have a shooter on the floor they rarely get the ball.
I saw jumper speak of Madi and how she hit 13 in a row and shoots 60+ in practice i love this kid and I want to see her at TN but unfortunately I feel she would not have great success here unless we get a different system going, that goes for any elite shooter we may recruit ... JMO

NoBackBoard

When TN decides to USE their 3 point shooters and mean use them in the actual offense not just 1 or 2 x a game then we can dictate who can shoot and who can't. Why even recruit them as a "Shooter" when you know good and well you aren't going to use them enough to even be considered a shooter. Its ridiculous. I hate to be negative but it just seems like all TN does is play pick up ball, never any offensive sets for the shooters
Why do you think kids that are basically just considered shooters never succeed at TN... because they don't set them up for success, they don't hon in on what they are good at etc. Watch IOWA state, Indiana etc who recruit good 3 pt shooter but the difference is they utilize them time and time again ... makes a big difference and those kind of teams will whip your butt if they are on. Problem w TN is we have NO go to shooter noone to light up anyone and when we do have a shooter on the floor they rarely get the ball.
I saw jumper speak of Madi and how she hit 13 in a row and shoots 60+ in practice i love this kid and I want to see her at TN but unfortunately I feel she would not have great success here unless we get a different system going, that goes for any elite shooter we may recruit ... JMO
I agree that we need a new system but I’ve watched our players get open looks and they just miss them.

Volfan2012

I don't think screening action and ball movement on offense has been good enough to get the real good open looks at the three. I think Jordan has had a few really nice looks didn't make any. The team we played last night was wary of Darby shooting threes they would close everytime the ball went her way. She finally took what was a really bad look and walked on another when the defender closed as she was going to shoot. When she was at Greenfield I watched a few games and she always hit at least three or four a game sometimes six or seven. They were always wide open looks most of the time not a defender within three feet. I think that is the kind of looks she will be able to make a high percentage of now. If we can get more screening action and ball movement should be able to get a few open looks from the three per game. I would call the ones we are taking now mostly low percentage shots kind of hurried not really set.

Voluble2

We had plenty of open looks at the basket last night and missed something like 13 three pt shots.

And we balanced things out by missing at least that many layups.

It just seems like there is zero emphasis put on finishing shots. I don't know what they are doing in practice, but it isn't working. We are normally a bad shooting team. That is one of our hallmarks. But we are atrocious thus far this year.

mudcat1973

I don't think screening action and ball movement on offense has been good enough to get the real good open looks at the three. I think Jordan has had a few really nice looks didn't make any. The team we played last night was wary of Darby shooting threes they would close everytime the ball went her way. She finally took what was a really bad look and walked on another when the defender closed as she was going to shoot. When she was at Greenfield I watched a few games and she always hit at least three or four a game sometimes six or seven. They were always wide open looks most of the time not a defender within three feet. I think that is the kind of looks she will be able to make a high percentage of now. If we can get more screening action and ball movement should be able to get a few open looks from the three per game. I would call the ones we are taking now mostly low percentage shots kind of hurried not really set.
agree one on one make youur shoot unlike when key set pick for horstin late in game . key pick two south f defeners leaving horstin easy layup

mudcat1973

just watched 1st tenn vs south il karoline can out set a pick for tess she had time shoot it went in and out. not a set play karoline saw the defener guard tess close she came out block her off karoline defener did not help so tess had time to step in shoot.

mudcat1973

tess darby tenn radio player of game 4 of 8 shooting 3 of 6 from 3 4rebs 1steals

Dak1219

Well, Kelly has many fine qualities as a coach, but, historically, assessing shooters has never been a primary skill of hers. I did a breakdown last year of how her teams have consistently had mediocre shooting and plentiful turnovers. I do hope she's right about Tess, but right now that's not a great looking ball she puts up there.
You must have missed the shooters she had at Missouri State. She had a few that were lights out basically anywhere on the court.

papatomany

You must have missed the shooters she had at Missouri State. She had a few that were lights out basically anywhere on the court.
Didn't miss anybody. I worked out the numbers on all of Kellie's teams. There was a girl named Fruendt she had at Missouri State who was once 188th and once 139th nationally in 3pt percentage. Kellie's teams were ranked 101, 96, 136, 150, 186, and 90 in percentage. Consistently around 32% (at all her coaching stops) with an occasional dip below 31% and an occasional bump to 34%.

LadyVols_WBK

Didn't miss anybody. I worked out the numbers on all of Kellie's teams. There was a girl named Fruendt she had at Missouri State who was once 188th and once 139th nationally in 3pt percentage. Kellie's teams were ranked 101, 96, 136, 150, 186, and 90 in percentage. Consistently around 32% (at all her coaching stops) with an occasional dip below 31% and an occasional bump to 34%.
Liza Fruendt is on Kellie’s staff now as her director of recruiting operations hired her this season

VN Store